Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have missed it but what do you have right now or at least measurement. I'm around 2-2.5 right now on the front steps (brick). Seems most of that has been within last hour or so.

I guess you guys were behind me then was already at 2" an hour ago. Maybe that impacts my earlier statement just assumed you already had 4 or something. ;) not like it really matters much at this pt.

I guess you guys were behind me then was already at 2" an hour ago. Maybe that impacts my earlier statement just assumed you already had 4 or something. ;) not like it really matters much at this pt.

It was also really blowing around earlier. I'm sure it's a bit higher in the grass on the lawn but I was too lazy to put better shoes/boots on. Accumulating fast here still right now, though. I'm pretty sure 4-5 at least is a lock here. 

Woo hoo! A legit three inches and pouring snow. Also, several good runs down a sweet hill at Baltimore country club before getting chased off.

Sent from my iPhone

Congrats, you have been waiting for this for forever. Enjoy it.

Thanks ravens, I am absolutely psyched. Also glad to see my measurement jives with bxweatherguy and yours. Three for him and four for you and me in between you both. Hoping for 5 more, would love to get to 8 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2:10 p.m. update: Snow is falling at a decent clip and accumulating north of I-66, including over much of the District. However, south of I-66 in Virginia, you get into possible “bust” territory, and the snow decreases in intensity. This may well be the pattern for the next several hours. Yes, the snow may expand some to the south, but if you live in southern Fauquier, Stafford and southern Prince William counties, or to the south, your chances of getting more than a couple inches of snow aren’t great.  from CWG

Thanks ravens, I am absolutely psyched. Also glad to see my measurement jives with bxweatherguy and yours. Three for him and four for you and me in between you both. Hoping for 5 more, would love to get to 8 inches.

Sent from my iPhone

Looking at the models i think 8-9" is highly likely for you.

My guess is you will be wrong, on the low side.  Looks like the banding is building and backing, so IAD should start to pick up in a hour or so.  I'd be OK with 4.5, but I think it's closer to 8-10 for the event.

I agree that we are going to raked over the next several hours. I am at little of 2" now and think will end up 6-8" at least.

2:10 p.m. update: Snow is falling at a decent clip and accumulating north of I-66, including over much of the District. However, south of I-66 in Virginia, you get into possible “bust” territory, and the snow decreases in intensity. This may well be the pattern for the next several hours. Yes, the snow may expand some to the south, but if you live in southern Fauquier, Stafford and southern Prince William counties, or to the south, your chances of getting more than a couple inches of snow aren’t great.  from CWG

I don't want this to be true being I'm just south of I-66 in Fairfax. I want my snow! 

2:10pm:   25 heavy Snow  about 2-1/4 inches so far.

1:15pm:   25 Heavy Snow. about 1.5 inches so far.

12:32pm:  26 Mod snow. Flakes bigger. Picking up in intensity. Roads and sidewalks still clear.

11:54am:  28 Light snow. Pixie dust. Streets and sidewalks still wet. About 3/4 inch so far on hard surfaces.

11:21am:  29 Mod snow. All big flakes. Peak wind: 14 mph.

11:04am:  29 Mod snow with giant flakes mixing in. (beginning of deathband) Peak wind 11mph.

10:37am:  29 Light Snow  No stickage to roads or sidewalks still.

10:00am:  31 Mod Snow

9:30am:    32 Furries

9:00am:    33 No precip

I'd think that 4 hours of moderate and one hour of heavy would give you more than 2.25 inches. 

Archived