Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sick...thundersnow in lackawanna.  That was a close one too.

jeoulou!!! we havent seen rates anywhere near that YET in Pittsford (just SE of Rochester) seems to be finally picking up after a 2 hr hole. probably gonna have to shave a good six off my prediction of 16 or so. still a good storm but not the whiteout stuff I was hoping for.

Down to 31.6, but getting a mix of -zr, pl, and -sn.  Very unpleasant.  Do you think icing will be a big problem in this area, before eventually transitioning to snow?

All rain down here near ALB with the temperature falling to 34 right now. We may get some freezing rain this afternoon and then sleet or snow later tonight, depending on how strong the warm nose around 800-700 mb pushes in. The NAM had that layer much warmer than the 14z RAP giving us 3" as opposed to an inch of snow and sleet.

had some good snow for a few hours,,  a good 3" or so on the ground, and just had a bit

of sleet/rain/snow mix, visibility increased as flakes diminished.   trying to change

back over to snow now. 

(cazenovia/morrisville area along Rt 20)

All snow here, looks like an inch of... whatever has been falling here for the past three hours on the ground. To be perfectly honest though, this thing doesn't look so hot on radar. The heaviest returns are in places which have been mixing for hours and not in the places where the highest returns were supposed to occur. This main slug is impressive but after it moves through I'm not sure if the radar is going to fill in much.

I have 40-45 dbz over me right now and the snow, while heavy, is not what I would call a "whiteout".

SU sent us home!  Roads are almost not drivable.  Happy to be home before the wind blows and temps plummet. About 4" in the driveway with S+.

Wow. My freshman year we got 16" of snow and the next day all Cornell did was cancel the first two hours of class. Naturally, no sidewalks or streets had been cleared on campus.

White out conditions on east-west roads driving home from work. Hard to tell how much has fallen in Parkside, Buffalo... Maybe 6 inches, judging from the wind-shielded stretch of my driveway. Driveway entrance totally hidden by drift.

Also: THUNDERSNOW going on.

My wife is currently in Rochester on business.  Told her it was going to be bad. Original plan was to come home tomorrow but she is likely going to stay an additional night.  Luckily we have relatives right there.  Hotel was all booked.

Looks really nasty out there right now.

SPECI KROC 121720Z 03025G36KT 1/8SM R04/1400V1800FT +SN BLSN FZFG VV008 M04/M06 A2944 RMK AO2 PK WND 05038/1705 TWR VIS 1/4 P0000

METAR KROC 121754Z 04032G41KT 1/8SM R04/1200V1600FT +SN FZFG BLSN VV006 M04/M06 A2943 RMK AO2 PK WND 04041/1753 TWR VIS 1/4 SLP976 4/005 933010 P0000 6//// T10441061 10000 21044 56039 PNO $

Down to 31.6, but getting a mix of -zr, pl, and -sn.  Very unpleasant.  Do you think icing will be a big problem in this area, before eventually transitioning to snow?

It looks like we may see some some ZR in the ALB area over the next few hours continuing until sometime around 7 pm. It's already 32F at the airport with a solid north wind. You can see the cold air damming flexing it's muscles with an inverted ridge showing up on the SPC mesoanalysis over the Champlain/Hudson valleys.

The 16z RAP and 12z NAM have the profile cooling enough below 850 mb by 7 pm to change us over to IP. The NAM then has a much stronger warm layer than the RAP, keeping us IP until around 10 pm. The RAP has the max temperature in that layer around freezing so there may be a mix of snow and sleet in that solution.

I think we will see some nice snow growth later into early tomorrow morning as the profile cools quickly. However, the lift will be weaker so snowfall rates probably won't be too impressive.

All snow here, looks like an inch of... whatever has been falling here for the past three hours on the ground. To be perfectly honest though, this thing doesn't look so hot on radar. The heaviest returns are in places which have been mixing for hours and not in the places where the highest returns were supposed to occur. This main slug is impressive but after it moves through I'm not sure if the radar is going to fill in much.

I have 40-45 dbz over me right now and the snow, while heavy, is not what I would call a "whiteout".

Those enhanced reflectivity values are likely due to bright banding; higher power returned by melting hydrometeors.

hey Gravestone, Easy 5 to 5.5" in Phoenix. 1/4 visibility for several hours now.

Really. I'm down in LIverpool at work (slaving away I might add...;))...it has been heavy here but not what I'd call "leave work early snow".   I'm not impressed with radar to the SW. I think this shuts down early. 

Really. I'm down in LIverpool at work (slaving away I might add... ;))...it has been heavy here but not what I'd call "leave work early snow".   I'm not impressed with radar to the SW. I think this shuts down early. 

Roads are absolute sh!t Brian....and with the setting sun and cooling airmass while continuing to snow/blow, it's more of a leave work while you can!!!  Radars always scare people during a storm...it'll fill...best dynamics are about to come together..

Beautiful around here!

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY
226 PM EDT WED MAR 12 2014

NYZ009-015>018-122100-
NORTHERN ONEIDA-YATES-SENECA-SOUTHERN CAYUGA-ONONDAGA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BOONVILLE...PENN YAN...SENECA FALLS...
AUBURN...SYRACUSE
226 PM EDT WED MAR 12 2014

...HEAVY SNOW TO CONTINUE THIS AFTERNOON...

HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THIS AFTERNOON WITH SNOWFALL RATES AROUND
AN INCH PER HOUR AND VISIBILITY OFTEN A QUARTER MILE OR LESS.

DELAY TRAVEL IF POSSIBLE...BUT IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...USE EXTREME
CAUTION. BLOWING SNOW WILL BECOME MORE OF AN ISSUE THIS EVENING AS
TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO DROP...AND THE SNOW BECOMES DRIER.

$

There was a report of 6" 2 hrs ago in Irondequoit at 1230pm...seemed high but possible 

Blizzard is bust so far for the metro area, NWS pulled the plug to early.. they should've just issued it for counties along the Ontario shoreline. Almost 8" here with some light snow.

Archived