Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Middle of Winter

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LES machine kicked in overnight picking up 6" of fluff and currently a complete whiteout right now. Just a little south of here picked up a foot and a half or more. Ole man winter just doesn't want to give up. Lol.

Since my last post we have picked up another 6" in less than 2 hours. It has now stopped and sun is starting to break through the clouds.

KBuf goes over 100 inches on the year tonight. Yay!!! Finally joining the 100" crew. I would presume Perrysburg has to be closing in on 300 inches by now. I think they could have a record year this year if we can get 1-2 more storms before the season ends. I bet some places off of Ontario have some massive totals as well.

The highest total I could find on Cocarahs was 298 inches in northern Oswego county. Station # NY-OS-13

Boston NY is at 167 inches. Colden is at 196 inches.

Edit: *As of 20 hours ago Perrysburg was at 261 inches on the year*

KBuf goes over 100 inches on the year tonight. Yay!!! Finally joining the 100" crew. I would presume Perrysburg has to be closing in on 300 inches by now. I think they could have a record year this year if we can get 1-2 more storms before the season ends. I bet some places off of Ontario have some massive totals as well.

The highest total I could find on Cocarahs was 298 inches in northern Oswego county. Station # NY-OS-13

Boston NY is at 167 inches. Colden is at 196 inches.

Edit: *As of 20 hours ago Perrysburg was at 261 inches on the year*

I think Redfield is around 320 inches for the year.

Our local TV (Newschannel 9) has a spotter up there (Carol Yerden) and last week they posted local season-to-date totals, and she reported near 300"...and I know that area has received over a foot or so since then.

Oh okay. Thanks! I really wish there was a centralized location that all spotters filtered information into. Cocarahs, Co-OP, social media, etc...It's hard to get a general consensus of snowfall totals around the region. So looks like Redfield around 320 inches with Lacona at 297 inches leading off of Ontario and Perrysburg at 261 leading off of Erie. I wish I could see the totals from Sherman/South Dayton/Mayville area. Difficult to get concrete data from Co-op, Cocarahs is much more user friendly.

Picked up close to 10" of LES over the past ~36 hrs with the bulk being last night's 6"...not bad at all.  Maybe some more scraps later this week.  Early next week looks intriguing, at least from a modelology standpoint... ;) (trend seems to be towards a more progressive less amped system though - not looking like much of anything really).

What's more interesting is the indicated pattern persistence out another 2 weeks or so. The +PNA / western ridge is tenacious.  This is certainly an interesting winter from an analog or pattern standpoint...very little blocking (+NAO), no real ENSO signal, but a raging -EPO which really dominated the NH pattern.  At least that's my general swag.  I'll have to read up more on what the learned folks have to say over on the forecasting discussion board.  We've even had a few short warmups here and there.  About the only thing we haven't had is a truly blockbuster snow producing storm in the east or central US.  My guess is we don't get it unless a -NAO pattern can emerge at some point.  We have had some significant winter storms but they have been progressive.

edit: 12Z 02/25/14 Euro shows just a weak wave passing south of here early next week, probably little if any impact to this board....but...it does park a 1044 mb High almost over us w/ -30 to -35C 850T's next Tuesday or so. That just might be cold...

Any thoughts on this Monday thing? Looks like the models have trended south, favoring PA...

Monday system is all done for NY State, maybe flurries and light accumulation (<3"). Unless virtually all the models have it wrong. Which is always possible. Trend has been weaker and southier...

Mom, up in Parish has picked up 30" over last 2.5 days. BTW, heard this morning (before today's certain accumulations) in Redfield that the seasonal total stands at 339"....400 looks like a cinch! :)

That would be awesome to see a 400 inch total. I don't think there has  been one of those in quite awhile!

Mom, up in Parish has picked up 30" over last 2.5 days. BTW, heard this morning (before today's certain accumulations) in Redfield that the seasonal total stands at 339"....400 looks like a cinch! :)

Someday...someday I will live up there :D. Either there or Miami LOL, have to figure out what extreme I like more.

EDIT: Anyone know where I can find info for average snowfall for places like Fulton/Pulaski etc? I've been searching around the Buffalo NWS site but can't seem to locate anything of that sort. Historical data would be nice too of how much snow they have gotten every year.

Thanks!

Looks like another ass beating for Oswego county Thurs night and Friday.  My kid had no school again today.  So after last week off, they have been snowed out Mon and Wed...with Friday looking very likely as a snow day.  KBUF pretty bullish for southern Oswego and northern Wayne, Cayuga counties Thurs night. Bodes well for those of us on the other side of the river from them.

As far as Sun/Mon goes...I am only looking at the 700 and 850 RH fields and temps, but today's 12Z Euro looks more promising for us than yday's runs.  Maybe a couple of overrunning type events with the second wave a bit stronger.  We shall see.

4.5 inch total from this event, nice little over performer. Watertown is about to get destroyed with 2-4 inch per hour snowfall rates.

Yes not too bad, ended up with 5" here.. traffic is gridlock at the city. 33 is closed, skyway closed, major backup at both 290 & 190. I'm glad i work at night lol :snowing:  :snowing:

Ok this is awesome!

From Tom Niziol Facebook:

"Wow what a great video of a snow squall coming across Toronto associated with a fast moving Low pressure system. This is not a lake-effect band but it is VERY impressive !!! This video was taken from the CTV helicopter"

http://www.cp24.com/...aylistPageNum=1

3.5" here. Looks better outside at least, and glad I don't work mornings.

Have to say that long-range is so depressing, though. Average highs are mid-40s are by the end of 16-day and we'll be lucky to get above freezing at any point during that.

vicious squall line just blew thru SYR area, impressive but short duration.  Sun popped out right afterwards.  Looking at KBUF's mesoscale 12Z models...sure looks like KBGM ought to think about upgrading that advisory to a warning for tonight, for Onondaga cty at least. 

Archived