Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an observation, but the timing (midday, after everyone is at work with the worst likely to be in the pm rush) and somewhat surprise nature of this storm remind me of 1/22/87.  Found an old Eastern thread on that storm - and below is what I posted in that thread.  Given the timing and the much colder temps this time around, the afternoon rush tomorrow could be quite a mess...

"I was in grad school at RU and in many ways this was the biggest impact storm I can remember, given the surprise nature, combined with the mid-morning timing of the arrival of incredibly heavy snow on a workday. Every place let out around noon to 1 pm and it was monumental gridlock, with cars abandoned all over every road. I worked in the chem eng'g lab, 1 mile from our rental house and it took me ~45 minutes to go that one mile. My roommate and I then spent a few hours just helping people get their cars out of ditches and snow-ruts on the side of the road by our house - we were just having fun helping and enjoying the awesome snow and the people we helped were so damn grateful. A friend of mine took 5 hours to make it home from Warren to Piscataway, normally a 20 minute drive, and I had friends who took 2 hours to simply go the 1-2 miles between the New Brunswick and Piscataway campuses. Later that evening a few of us took the trip across the river to go to the famed Melody Bar (the place where Matt Pinfield, later of MTV fame and now the morning DJ on 101.9 FM in NYC - and close personal friend - got his start), as there's nothing quite so fun, in my book, as a fun night out partying and dancing during or right after a good snowstorm - people just seem a little happier. On the way there we counted at least 50 abandoned cars along a 1 mile stretch of Metlars Lane."

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/189375-anyone-remember-the-surprise-jan-221987-snowstorm/

This will put most of the coastal area above average for the entire season. Some years it just wants to snow I have a feeling this will not be the last decent event.

I read that expression about it "wanting to snow" in 2008-9. How true then. Let's give prayers.

Archived