Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
1/21/14 Snowstorm Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left Rahway at 1:00 pm with light snow and maybe 1.5-2.0" on the ground and traveled home along Route 1 and, as expected, with the cold temps, the road was a bit slushy with relatively light traffic (lots of places closed early, including Merck, where I work, which closed early at 1 pm) moving at 30-40 mph.  By the time I got home in Metuchen, 9 miles SSW of Rahway, I was in the heavier band and I just measured about 2.5" on the ground.  Intensity has really picked up. Would call it moderate, bordering on heavy.  Beautiful flakes.  Love it.  About to go out for lunch downtown with my wife, with a window seat, of course...

Well, had a very nice lunch at Torino-2 in Metuchen - we were the only folks in the place and we had perfect window seats to watch the snow.  After a great meal, got home, shoveled and then measured 4.5" at 3:30 pm - that's about 2" the last 2 hours - it's really ripping out there right now, with probably 3/16 mile visibility, i.e., heavy snow - medium sized fluffy gorgeous flakes.  Hopefully we can catch up to the folks in Monmouth County, but even if we don't it'll still be a nice storm.

NWS in Mt. Holly just updated their snow map, extending the 10-14" amounts into all of Somerset and much of Morris, so I should be right in the middle of the 10-14" swath.  Nice. 

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

Well, had a very nice lunch at Torino-2 in Metuchen - we were the only folks in the place and we had perfect window seats to watch the snow.  After a great meal, got home, shoveled and then measured 4.5" at 3:30 pm - that's about 2" the last 2 hours - it's really ripping out there right now, with probably 3/16 mile visibility, i.e., heavy snow - medium sized fluffy gorgeous flakes.  Hopefully we can catch up to the folks in Monmouth County, but even if we don't it'll still be a nice storm.

NWS in Mt. Holly just updated their snow map, extending the 10-14" amounts into all of Somerset and much of Morris, so I should be right in the middle of the 10-14" swath.  Nice. 

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

with Monmouth County already with double the amounts of Somerset, Middlesex and Union how are those counties going to get into that 10-14 like Monmouth is...I have 4.25 and have seen anywhere from 3-5 reported here but Monmouth has 6-10 amounts

with Monmouth County already with double the amounts of Somerset, Middlesex and Union how are those counties going to get into that 10-14 like Monmouth is...I have 4.25 and have seen anywhere from 3-5 reported here but Monmouth has 6-10 amounts

I agree it seems high for those counties, perhaps they see something cranking up later? Cause I don't see it at this rate...but I've learned not to predict. Generally, I see less than is usually called for, and while it is snowing out, it is not coming down at more than a moderate clip most of the time here in Woodbridge. We get some nicer bands in between.

Doubtful anyone in NJ will catch up with Monmouth, unless there is a later, major band that sits over areas to the N/W of Monmouth County for a few hours.  But even if we don't catch up, given another 4-5 hours of really good snowfall rates of 1" per hour, followed by several more hours of lighter snow that might put down 1-2" more, I could see my area getting to 10-12" - which might mean parts of Monmouth get to 15-18".  But relative to the 1" or less I was expecting on Sunday morning, I'll be ecstatic even if we "only" get 8-10".   

Accidentally deleted my earlier post...thanks for the update I often rely on your reports for the area.

Doubtful anyone in NJ will catch up with Monmouth, unless there is a later, major band that sits over areas to the N/W of Monmouth County for a few hours.  But even if we don't catch up, given another 4-5 hours of really good snowfall rates of 1" per hour, followed by several more hours of lighter snow that might put down 1-2" more, I could see my area getting to 10-12" - which might mean parts of Monmouth get to 15-18".  But relative to the 1" or less I was expecting on Sunday morning, I'll be ecstatic even if we "only" get 8-10".   

Good points

I agree it seems high for those counties, perhaps they see something cranking up later? Cause I don't see it at this rate...but I've learned not to predict. Generally, I see less than is usually called for, and while it is snowing out, it is not coming down at more than a moderate clip most of the time here in Woodbridge. We get some nicer bands in between.

Im in southern Middlesex and have around 7.0/7.5 

Archived