• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Meanwhile, in the italian Alps ...

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics Matthew!  I'm guessing that even though this region generally receives quite a bit of snow, this much is rare, right?  The 500 mb height pattern certainly supports it.  That trough over the UK should promote anomalous cyclonic vorticity advection over central Europe.  Coupled with the ridge over SE Europe, the overall pattern should be assocaited with enhanced baroclinicity and a stronger southwesterly jet, which should fuel some deeper cyclones.  Not to mention that ridge over Sweeden / Finland which should provide some blocking to slow storms down.  Just a classic setup for heavy snow for elevations that are high enough to capitalize on that warm/moist southwesterly Atlantic flow. PWs have also been anomalously high, so I'm guessing there has been plenty of moisture to work with for each passing storm... and probably some good orographic snowfalls in there too.

Z500 anomalies:

post-378-0-30637500-1391198970_thumb.gif

TPW anomalies:

post-378-0-56262200-1391198990_thumb.gif

Great pics Matthew!  I'm guessing that even though this region generally receives quite a bit of snow, this much is rare, right?  

Yup, from mid december till now we have had a continuous "train" of atlantic lows, that is not so normal.

January brought here nearly 300 mm of precipitation, when the average is about 55 ...

Archived