joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turner Team, on 20 Jan 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:Turner Team, on 20 Jan 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

It still looks like we will get at least an inch or so up our way based on the NAM. I am happy with anything at this point with the way this winter has gone so far.

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2014012012&time=INSTANT&var=SNODI&hour=039

I'd almost rather not have an inch at this point. It adds insult to injury while MA is getting 6"+. /weenierant

Let's root for DC to get snow. They are finally going to break the snow drought of less than 2 inches for an event since January 2011 unless some magic happens. Temps won't mess them up like all the other massive busts over the past 2 years.

They just broke that 2 weeks ago, DC got 5".  With this storm JI will be above average for seasonal snowfall, if you read there forum you would think it never snows there.  This will be JI's 4th 4"+ storm in the past 5 weeks.  I am supposed to be in NoVA on Wednesday, if GFS shows this negative tilted I am going up a day earlier.  It's never snowing here again, might as well chase to see snow.

1601374_635115029869092_602675094_n.jpg

DT has me in 2-4 and Alan has me in 0.5-1and NWS up to 1 inch ? I say there's a chance I may see an inch out of this?

Allan Huffman ‏@RaleighWx 1h

My first forecast map for Jan 21-22nd event. Will update later today if data warrants changes. #snow pic.twitter.com/4J4oJeNupJ

BebI8DyCUAAEnPo.jpg

4:47 AM - 20 Jan 2014 · Details Flag mediaFlagged (learn more)

Frosty, completely ignore DT's map. Completely ignore it. Allan's guess, while still maybe a bit high, is much better.

If the NAM is right NoVA may get a foot of snow. Negative tilt vort...

Both are good Mets. Not sure if they possibly took this into account too.

But today is going to be in the 60s and 50s further north. Tomorrow the snow is going to be moving in at the wrong part of the day. Noon and after. That means solar radiation coming through the clouds.

Unless it snows extremely hard. NC/VA liable to see 0 accumlation out of this. I have a feeling this is going to be another infamous NC snow where it snows for hours and nothing to show for it. By the time the sun goes down the storm is pulling out. If anything this looks good for SNE--- DE,NJ points NE.

Let's root for DC to get snow. They are finally going to break the snow drought of less than 2 inches for an event since January 2011 unless some magic happens. Temps won't mess them up like all the other massive busts over the past 2 years.

It's not like they had a historic winter in 2010 and immediately started whining the next winter.

Both are good Mets. Not sure if they possibly took this into account too.

But today is going to be in the 60s and 50s further north. Tomorrow the snow is going to be moving in at the wrong part of the day. Noon and after. That means solar radiation coming through the clouds.

Unless it snows extremely hard. NC/VA liable to see 0 accumlation out of this. I have a feeling this is going to be another infamous NC snow where it snows for hours and nothing to show for it. By the time the sun goes down the storm is pulling out. If anything this looks good for SNE--- DE,NJ points NE.

For NoVA it's in the low 20's when it starts snowing and drops into the low teens during the peak, 850's are -10 to -18, this will be amazingly high ratio snow, really windy/blowing/drifting, we have never seen a snowstorm with this type of cold.  Richmond is in the mid 30's when it starts but drops fast to mid-20's and finishes in high teens, this will be a very big impact storm for Richmond and points NE.

Anybody got snow totals from 0z euro?

A surface low crossing overhead or transferring to the coast or whatever doesn't give me confidence in an all snow profile.

I guess we better be rooting for the Euro. From what I see on Ewall looks further south with the vortmax- northern SC. Appears N va would get snow. But judging by this deepest moisture is further south-- SVA and NC

f48.gif

DT has me in 2-4 and Alan has me in 0.5-1and NWS up to 1 inch ? I say there's a chance I may see an inch out of this?

Allan Huffman @RaleighWx 1h

My first forecast map for Jan 21-22nd event. Will update later today if data warrants changes. #snow pic.twitter.com/4J4oJeNupJ

BebI8DyCUAAEnPo.jpg

4:47 AM - 20 Jan 2014 · Details Flag mediaFlagged (learn more)

is this map for Jan 21-22 or the 25?  at the top it says 21 and the bottom 25th. i'll take 1-2 inches and run, we're going to run out of time if something doesn't happen.

After this sun and temp across the triad today, and with the timing of the event tomorrow pm, this is a non-sticker. Just not enough precip rate to overcome ground conditions except maybe grassy surfaces. If we could slow this thing down a hair then central nc might have a better chance. This system is gone in 6 hours.

Archived