joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to late Jan cold talk

Ian

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of damage done to the snow out here today.  Significnant patches of bare ground now.  After that quick late morning drop, the temps are only slowly dropping.  Down to 28.4F.  We may have reached that point already when the sun just can't be overcome.  I can't think of many things more depressing than seeing bare ground emerging from the snow. 

Classic pre frontal warmup, this was something only the Washington Metropolitan Region can do so masterfully.

Progged high of 44 degrees.

Give warm air an inch she takes a mile and then some. We spiked at 55 degrees.

Lost 60 percent of our sparse snowpack in a very short time, 

Fropa hit, strong winds from north is cooling things down now but snow is still melting furiously.

South facing regions never had a chance in hell. Only places facing north and with shade barely managed to survive todays heat wave.

Couple days of cool refreshing respite then in comes a major warming trend, mild spring air with cutters and heavy rain. We'll lose all our leftover snow AND the piles too, AND the ground will thaw out 100 percent. Get your hip waders on. Lawns will turn into a quagmire.

Too bad we have to go thru the entire exhausting process all over again in order to maybe get some snow sometime next month - maybe. The one thing that's really getting me down is how much those damn roads warm up, and then we barely manage to get them white again next month IF we can get rates.

Sometimes I wish I lived in Wisconsin. Those fortunate folks have had blowing snow for weeks and weeks and weeks.

They are going to get even more with the pattern change. That cutter that is gonna destroy Illinois is gonna smash Wisconsin into oblivion with a deep blanket of fresh dendrites.

We'll be playin a mean game of golf.

We got 5 inches of powder on Tuesday. because it has been so cold, it has stayed powdery. It did settle some, down to about 3.5 inches.

The last time we had 5 inches on the ground was three years ago with the psuhoffman snow. That was a 5.5 inch wet snow blockbuster that lopped off a lot of pine branches.

It took us THREE YEARS to get to experience another 5 inch snow. It took us only a couple of hours on one morning with a 55 degree flash torch to lose 75 percent of the areal snowpack. This warm surge had already warmed temps up to 38 degrees at 5am. It was an outright massacre of our precious powder snowpack.

This is an absolutely BRUTAL place to live if you like snow. I need a new hobby lol

Archived