• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

Odd morning and set-up out there today.  Should be interesting to watch--hoping to pick up a little out of this.

Had a feeling something might pop along the coast south of here and here's to it tracking close enough to give us a little freshening. 

Very still out there and seemingly somewhat of an inversion:  wood smoke hanging in the hollows, a little bit of fog and hoarfrost on the tree branches.

Clouds on the increase, 18F.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Allenson about the odd morning out there, very similar down here with the fog and frost, but we also have some very light snow falling.  Looking up sky almost looks some breaks above the fog.  I guess we will just have to see how this all play outs, temp is at 23F.

I agree with you Allenson about the odd morning out there, very similar down here with the fog and frost, but we also have some very light snow falling.  Looking up sky almost looks some breaks above the fog.  I guess we will just have to see how this all play outs, temp is at 23F.

Just looked at the Thetford I-91 cam--looks real foggy along the river.

I'm sure you've seen but the Inn's cam on the lake has been down for a week.  Heading down there soon, actually.  Might bring my skates...!

I think we'll be in on the mix here.  BTV less enthusiastic than they were yesterday but GYX showing 2-4 for Leb.

Just looked at the Thetford I-91 cam--looks real foggy along the river.

I'm sure you've seen but the Inn's cam on the lake has been down for a week.  Heading down there soon, actually.  Might bring my skates...!

I think we'll be in on the mix here.  BTV less enthusiastic than they were yesterday but GYX showing 2-4 for Leb.

We may eek out a good deal of sunshine today from a forecast of 2-4" as of yesterday's 3pm package.  You can't make this stuff up anymore up here, lol.

Anyway, been watching the clouds off to the east all morning...looked real hazy out that way and blocked our sunshine for the first hour, but as soon as the sun got above your low clouds in eastern VT, its been a beauty up this way so far.

Looking northeast, clouds off to the east on the right.

Looking north up the Spine, sunny, clear, and calm.

Well at least some of our SNE friends are seeing thundersnow this morning lol.

Shocking that they don't agree about this being a horrific winter so far.  Another good positive bust down there (looks fun in the obs thread) and 2-4" forecast here turned into a sunny day.  Hey, at least its nice to see the sun, lol.

I get up at noon (like I usually do...lol) and what do I see instead of clouds and maybe the start of snow? Full on sunshine.  Went from that to full overcast in the last half hour but that precip on radar isn't gonna make it up here, is it?

I hope we can eek out something...anything...tomorrow/tomorrow night.  I'd really like to get something more on the ground before this week's upcoming drought, especially with the cold that's forecast.

Speaking of forecasts, I can't remember the last time BTV busted on a 24 hour forecast so dramatically.  Oh, well...big casement windows, southern exposure and sunshine for the heating bill win!

With snow on the way (sorry, VT guys) I decided on a short but view-filled adventure.  Mount Crawford is often overlooked by peakbaggers who live and die by their 4000'er list.  Mt Crawford checks in at a pedestrian 3,119' but its bare summit boasts 360° views that rival and surpass many of those 4k peaks.  And though I was expecting obscured summits, I figured there would be something in the way of views.

I arrived at the trailhead at 6:15am with temperature at 22F.  On with the microspikes and headlamp.  The trail had seen about an inch of recent snow, and aside from a rabbit I was the first on it since then.  That inch of snow effectively concealed ice patches which were the equal of my spikes.  In fact, full-bore crampons would have been the best piece of equipment to use.  I fell face-first once on the way up and landed on my rear three times on the way down.  Aside from that it was a terrific day.  It was a cloudy sunrise, but clear patches opened and it was in fact pretty sunny for about 45 minutes.  13F windchill at the summit was brisk on bare hands, but not bad at all for mid-January.  Great day to be in the mountains :)

post-254-0-38512100-1390074813_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-37506800-1390074874_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-90070500-1390074906_thumb.jpg

My area does fine on many types of storms, but these inverted trough events never seem to make it far enough NW to do much here, so the miss (or graze - might get a dusting yet) isn't too big a surprise.  At least the day stayed below 32, and will wind up closer to 10F above my avg instead of the +15/+20 of the past week.  Baby steps.

With snow on the way (sorry, VT guys) I decided on a short but view-filled adventure.  Mount Crawford is often overlooked by peakbaggers who live and die by their 4000'er list.  Mt Crawford checks in at a pedestrian 3,119' but its bare summit boasts 360° views that rival and surpass many of those 4k peaks.  And though I was expecting obscured summits, I figured there would be something in the way of views.

I arrived at the trailhead at 6:15am with temperature at 22F.  On with the microspikes and headlamp.  The trail had seen about an inch of recent snow, and aside from a rabbit I was the first on it since then.  That inch of snow effectively concealed ice patches which were the equal of my spikes.  In fact, full-bore crampons would have been the best piece of equipment to use.  I fell face-first once on the way up and landed on my rear three times on the way down.  Aside from that it was a terrific day.  It was a cloudy sunrise, but clear patches opened and it was in fact pretty sunny for about 45 minutes.  13F windchill at the summit was brisk on bare hands, but not bad at all for mid-January.  Great day to be in the mountains :)

attachicon.gifcrawford notch.jpg

attachicon.gifsetting moon.jpg

attachicon.gifMt Washington.jpg

Awesome stuff as usual, Jayhawk!  You, PF and eyewall always post wonderful scenes.  Love the border effect on those shots, too!

I've been looking at climate records through the Western Regional Climate Center (which for whatever reason has better data about our area than the Eastern Climate Center) and the co-op is at 8" on the month (although its *only* January 18th)... record futility is 8.1" in 1962.  The next closest is 1956 with 18.4".  And 1981 with 18.5".  I'm not exactly sure how accurate that data is, but that's what I'm seeing.

Those are the only three years since records began in 1953 with January snowfall below 20". 

We have 12" to go in the next 12 days to avoid being in that lovely group of futility.

Yeah, nary a flake here.  Had a bit of sun from late morning through early afternoon but then the clouds rolled back in.

Topped out right at 32.

Worked in the woods some today--something I don't often get to this time of year but the conditions are quite good for that sort of thing.  There's 4-6" otg to cover up all the stuff on the ground in the woods and firm enough to be right on top.  Easy walking.

Nice photos, fellas.

Conditions were pretty rough at Bolton tonight. The only saving grace was whatever powder they had from the other night, but every so often you would hit stretches of pure ice. None the less I made the most of it. As for home our snow departure has worsened to -7.6" for this point in the season. Finally I love that first shot MaineJayhawk.

Quite the sucker punch on the norlun. Forecast 6-8", then 3-5, then 2-4. Ended with 0.5". Nice long week of cold and dry. Glad to see the rain gone but would have been nice to have gotten a few inches today to hold us over.

Norluns often come with high bust potential.

Quite the sucker punch on the norlun. Forecast 6-8", then 3-5, then 2-4. Ended with 0.5". Nice long week of cold and dry. Glad to see the rain gone but would have been nice to have gotten a few inches today to hold us over.

When was that forecast? I don't think we had 6-8" in our forecast until I just updated the map with the latest update. And that is storm total for the SE NH and SW ME areas.

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.01” L.E.

There was 0.4” on the board this morning with light snow falling, although it did ramp up to borderline moderate snow at times while I was out making my observations, and there was already another couple of tenths on the board before I went back in.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 29.1 F

Sky: Light snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

On a seasonal note, this current system represents the 30th accumulating snowfall event of the season, so 2013-2014 continues to set a blistering, unprecedented pace in that regard, and we have still not hit the climatological midpoint of the season according to my data (that midpoint comes tomorrow on Jan 20th).  For some perspective on that number of storms, 2009-2010 and 2006-2007 had just 36 and 37 storms respectively, in total.  I suspect this season is fairly unique to have so many accumulating storms and still be at only ~65% of average snowfall for the date, but this first half will certainly not be known for a lack of activity around here.  

Flow looks really blocked this morning.  Sounds like its snowing pretty good in Chitt Co.

It will be interesting to get updates from eyewall if he’s around.  It’s been a light, but steady snow here, with quality dendrites that allow it to stack up.  For the 6:00 A.M. to 7:30 A.M. period, the accumulation was 0.6” here (a bit less than ½” per hour).

Archived