Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.18” L.E.

I didn’t check during the night to see if there was any greater accumulation, but this morning at observations time there was a slushy 0.3” of snow on the board, with a light sprinkle/mist in the air.  Since that point there’s been some much heavier precipitation in the form of rain and sleet, and it appears to be trending more toward rain now.  There was another quick accumulation of sleet in there, but I didn’t see it reach the tenth of an inch threshold so it will go down as a trace.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.8

Snow Density: 26.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.7 F

Sky: Sprinkles/Mist

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Winter Weather Advisories remain in effect generally outside the Champlain Valley due to the potential for freezing rain:

21FEB14A.jpg

It looks like opportunities for snow return this evening with the cold frontal passage associated with this event.

Hey all, if you don't mind, a quick question or two. My wife and I are taking a long weekend in Burlington next weekend. We are not skiers, but do want to do some outdoor stuff. The hotel has snowshoes available and we have never done that before, and want to.

My weird basic question is...where do we do that? Are there trails for snowshoeing? Sorry if that seems like a ridiculous question...

Also, have a reservation to try snowmobiling (four hour dealie leaving from and returning to Stowe). Worth the time and money? Enough snowpack up on the snowmobile trails for a good experience? Have never done that before either.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and, again, apologize if the questions are lame. Really looking forward to seeing the area. Never been.

Topped out at 43 yesterday, mildest day since November, pack shrunk below 30".  0.1" new snow-muck (0.03" LE) this morning, but a band of 30+ dbz is about to pass over both home and here in AUG, where scattered quarter-sized parachutes are falling.

Moderate snow lasted less than 5 minutes in AUG, didn't even whiten the ground.  Up home the band was wider (on radar - no eyewitness info), 15-20 minutes worth, probably 1/4-1/2".  Just cloudy now.

Hey all, if you don't mind, a quick question or two. My wife and I are taking a long weekend in Burlington next weekend. We are not skiers, but do want to do some outdoor stuff. The hotel has snowshoes available and we have never done that before, and want to.

My weird basic question is...where do we do that? Are there trails for snowshoeing? Sorry if that seems like a ridiculous question...

Also, have a reservation to try snowmobiling (four hour dealie leaving from and returning to Stowe). Worth the time and money? Enough snowpack up on the snowmobile trails for a good experience? Have never done that before either.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and, again, apologize if the questions are lame. Really looking forward to seeing the area. Never been.

Check out the Catamount Outdoor Family Center a few miles outside Burlington in Williston. They have cross country ski trails and snowshoeing. If you feel like driving a little, there is a trail system here in Barre Town called Millstone Trails. It's about 45 miles south east of BTV, not far off I-89. They have the same type of stuff as Catamount. Check out both websites.

The snowmobile tour will be fine. I am assuming you are using Stowe Snowmobile Tours, my next door neighbor runs the company and they do a good job. You go to their office on Rt. 100 and go through a short instructional video and get outfitted with helmets etc. Then they bring you up to their trail access at an area called Cotton Brook. Guides will take you on a tour of the state park lands. Most of the trails are on old roads so they are usually in very good shape. You get pretty high in elevation on portions of the tour, over 2000' maybe close to 2500'. If you are still looking for a place to snowshoe, they should be able to tell you some places to try. A couple of years ago when we had a bad snow year here, John had me and my son come up and ride their sleds. We had a great time.

Thanks a ton mreaves! That's really helpful. And yes, that's the snowmobiling outfit I have a reservation with.

Much appreciated.

I just did a quick search on snowshoeing in VT and there are a ton of results. You may need to leave the Champlain Valley to get good snow but you shouldn't have to drive that far. It hasn't been a blockbuster year for snow but we are doing ok now after the last couple of weeks. The valley sucks for snow retention compared to the rest of the state even in good snow years. I'm pretty confident you'll be able to find some good snowshoeing.

Also, have a reservation to try snowmobiling (four hour dealie leaving from and returning to Stowe). Worth the time and money? Enough snowpack up on the snowmobile trails for a good experience? Have never done that before either.

Me and my wife do it all the time at Stowe, there's trails all over, there's x-country/snowshoe trails at the Trapp family lodge too

We are taking the train up from baltimore (a long train ride, finally checking that off my bucket list) and then will rent a car. So driving up to Stowe will be doable on Saturday or Sunday.

Really excited to see the area. Mentioned at one point when I ducked my head in here I am trying to talk my wife into Vermont for our retirement 25 or so years from now...

We are taking the train up from baltimore (a long train ride, finally checking that off my bucket list) and then will rent a car. So driving up to Stowe will be doable on Saturday or Sunday.

Really excited to see the area. Mentioned at one point when I ducked my head in here I am trying to talk my wife into Vermont for our retirement 25 or so years from now...

There's even a decent amount of flat trails in the Champlain Valley that are snowshoe-able. If you're looking for a short mountain snowshoe, check out Mt Philo. But yeah as Mreaves said, plenty of longer more typical snowshoeing out of the valley. In addition to Catamount, Sleepy Hollow in Huntington is available too.

Well, I love it here but not sure it's a great place financially for retirement but I'm no expert. Hope you enjoy your visit. BTV is a nice town, lots to do and spectacular views, Lake Champlain and the Adirondaks to the west and Mt. Mansfield and the spine of the Greens to the east.

We've already scoped out places but our retirement is coming up much sooner than yours. It is expensive but great for winter weather lovers.

We've already scoped out places but our retirement is coming up much sooner than yours. It is expensive but great for winter weather lovers.

I just can't imagine ever being happy in a traditional retirement area like Florida or the desert southwest. I want four seasons, less summer heat rather than more, and plenty of outdoor activities. Everything I have read about Vermont makes me want to try and make that happen. I love fall and winter, and summers that are not the kind of heat I lived in when I was in Memphis from 98-09 or what I have expereinced here in Baltimore.

Only up to 34f here. Not much precipitation. Can it be a positive bust?

Not seeing any snowpack decimation.  Lots of wind and some liquid out of they sky.  Should be ok, overall.  Hopefully some wet snow can fall and bond to this stuff before it firms up.

I just can't imagine ever being happy in a traditional retirement area like Florida or the desert southwest. I want four seasons, less summer heat rather than more, and plenty of outdoor activities. Everything I have read about Vermont makes me want to try and make that happen. I love fall and winter, and summers that are not the kind of heat I lived in when I was in Memphis from 98-09 or what I have expereinced here in Baltimore.

I've done both areas, Zen.  I lived in the Towson/Lutherville/Timonium area from 1968-1980 and Panama City, Fl. from 1980-1998.  Weather-wise I would never want to live in either place again.  I don't have to tell you about the heat and humidity in Baltimore during the summer and Florida is just a much longer version of the same.

I moved up here in 1998 and haven't regretted a moment of it.  I will never move any further south than I am now.  In fact, I'm looking to find a place in Washington county (where I am now) or Lamoille county (next county north) that does even better with the snow than here in Montpelier...and we average over 90" here.  You sound just like me before I came up here.  Trust me...you won't regret it.

Only up to 34f here. Not much precipitation. Can it be a positive bust?

We still have a net gain on Mansfield's east side. The 2" of wet snow from last night hasn't even melted off the trees around the office, much less any melting on the ground. Still sitting at 31.5F at 1,500ft and 26F at the summit. Had a good period of glaze this morning which has further insulated the snow, but really no precip or wind most of today.

Spent most of two years in Baltimore (at Hopkins in the mid-60s), and though I wasn't there in July-August, it still earned the designation as "The armpit of the East" - climate, position on Chesapeake, and the harbor rebuild was only a dream.  On the plus side, I was there for the Jan 1966 blizzard, my only time with big snow in a big city.  I like such storms far better here in the woods, but one such experience was worth it.

Archived