Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished with 12.6"...depth up to 35".

Looks like another 1-2" today. Then we torch (well at least aloft). Saturday will probably be my warmest day with sun, mixing, and leftover relatively warm 850s.

depth at my dads house in contoocook is at 29" after yesterdays 12.5". not bad considering how lame january was

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.19” L.E.

The final 0.3” measured last night appears to be the end of this event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 10.4 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

The north to south listing of storm totals from the Vermont ski areas is below – in general totals were in the 4-6” range, with totals generally increasing toward the higher end of the range as one headed southward in the state:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 6”

Killington: 6”

Bromley: 7”

Magic Mountain: 5”

Stratton: 6”

Mount Snow: 4”

The forecast here indicates a similar event today, with 2-6” through tonight, although the BTV NWS discussion suggests that marginal temperatures in the lower elevations could affect accumulations in the valleys.

Had 4.3" of 14:1 fluff, bringing the snowpack to 31", the 5th time in 16 yr here that we've reached 30".  Of course, 3 of the other 4 made it to 4 ft, but there's still time.  Today's event should kick Feb past 30", my dividing line between a good snow month (20"+) and a great one - 40"+ is a record-beater, only happened thrice here.  Eerily similar to last winter, with 30+ Dec/Feb and putrid snowfall (<6") in Jan.  This winter's snowpack is far superior, however.

Similar to the last shortwave yesterday, winds are kicking up here as the radar indicates the moisture is not too far off to the SW- basically right along the  Rt 100 corridor- probably take a bit of time to saturate and reach the ground.  Good times all around- a nice stretch of winter weather the past ~2 weeks.

Some local snow reports this morning... its almost like it was a quasi-blocked east flow.  Very sharp gradient on the Spine... as I had 4.2" and it looks like J.Spin had the same amount and it looks like similar amounts also in the general east slope area.  But the western side was only reporting under an inch. 

Look at the difference by Warren...5.5" on the east side and 0.3" on the west side in Addison County.  Going back to what eyewall was talking about last night, snowfall forecasts are going to be hard to get right all the time with those types of meso-scale topographic features in play. 

Man it is coming down hard. Awesome upslope signature on the radar...nice 30dbz pixels blowing up along the west slope and washing over the mountain. Froude near 1 or maybe trending just above 1. Nice big flakes that have some moisture to them.

Definitely an upslope day there :)

Man it is coming down hard. Awesome upslope signature on the radar...nice 30dbz pixels blowing up along the west slope and washing over the mountain. Froude near 1 or maybe trending just above 1. Nice big flakes that have some moisture to them.

I just checked our web cam and it looks like there’s about an inch of new snow at the house.  Here in Burlington we’ve just had some spits of snow, but no real accumulation – the temperature here is a bit above freezing, so along with the Froude Numbers favoring eastward locales, it’s not surprising that there hasn’t been much for accumulation in this area.

Enjoyed the comments and map on the mesoscale snowfall differences PF; it’s always fun when you add your input on those orographic nuances around here.

nice fresh snow all week and i cant get back up until thursday night. :axe:

as for friday, my p&c has .25-.5" of non-crystalline precipitation.  not what I would prefer obviously, but not a complete disaster.  might even solidify some things once it freezes up again.

yeah... not a disaster, really.  Need the refresh afterwards, but solidifying the recent and considerable snowfall is the silver lining.  We've finally managed to get a decent snowpack- now this brief warmup will likely indurate what we have.  Could be worse.

that warm valley air is showing itself. Just stepped outside to meet surprisingly mild air.  ~29F at Stowe/Morrisville airport, while Plattsburgh, NY holds the warmer air around 34F.

The colorful radar shows the warm air moving into the lower valleys with westerly flow- to be taken with a grain of salt of course, but a pretty colorful radar.  (Don't know how to imbed here)

http://tinyurl.com/kb9y3lb

edit: yeah, that is a nice upslope signature.

steady light snow here. Very fine flakes.  Radar signature looks good for the other side of the valley.  I'm quickly learning that, for the NW/W flow, this side of the valley gets the leftovers.  Still, nice snow all day.  Heck, nice snow for the past 2 weeks if you think about it- what a great run!

The mountains could be around 3 feet this week around this way.

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We had 0.8” of snow through 6:00 P.M. today, and then some additional light snow afterward, but more recently it’s picked up to a moderate intensity in line with what PF is seeing.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.0

Snow Density: 12.5% H2O

Temperature: 30.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0 inches

Archived