• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

I will take it, one of the rare few times here on the valley floor actually does well :).  Although I wouldn't be surprised if Allenson has me beat, not far as the crow flies, but that 800' gain does wonders for him!

11.5" for a storm total here too.  Conn valley did very nicely yesterday.

That 11" for Corinth in the BTV storm report is not me--not sure who, but not me.

Nice one!

Cold this morning too:  down to -5F....

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I was going to joke about this yesterday that I would bet money Jay Peak comes in with the highest snowfall total despite the obvious models favoring the southern areas.  But watch, I bet storm total snowfall may be highest at Jay Peak tomorrow morning.  They do well in all patterns up there.

All joking aside, the northern Greens did about twice as good as I was expecting, especially considering at its southern most forecast on the models a couple days ago, the northern Greens were even progged to get as little as <.25" of melted QPF.  The area that I busted big time on was the central Greens...like Okemo, Sugarbush/MRG area, etc.  I figured they were all a lock for like 10-14".

It seems sb doesn't update their snow totals during the day. They'll mention it in the snow report, but not the totals. Now reporting 7" for yesterday and 9" storm total.

You know I was going to joke about this yesterday that I would bet money Jay Peak comes in with the highest snowfall total despite the obvious models favoring the southern areas.  But watch, I bet storm total snowfall may be highest at Jay Peak tomorrow morning.  They do well in all patterns up there.

All joking aside, the northern Greens did about twice as good as I was expecting, especially considering at its southern most forecast on the models a couple days ago, the northern Greens were even progged to get as little as <.25" of melted QPF.  The area that I busted big time on was the central Greens...like Okemo, Sugarbush/MRG area, etc.  I figured they were all a lock for like 10-14".  

Jay is reporting a "foot" this morning. I haven't checked the others.

That "moderate" snow I reported yesterday aft was building up a lot faster than I thouight - 2.5" between 3 and 4:30.  Accum pretty much ended by 8P though I had 0.1" sometime overnight.  Final total was 8.4", and after the 5:1 cornmeal start the ratio was 18:1, just like the late Dec storm.  That 2.5" in 90 minutes probably would've been close to 25:1 had I taken a core on it.  Turned out a lot better than I had predicted during the beginning portion of the event.  25" at the stake last evening, settled an inch by this morning, probably will drop another couple by tonight/tomorrow.

Temp plunged nearly 15F between 4 and 7 this morning, to minus 11-12. 

Here’s the updated list of storm totals from the Vermont ski areas listed north to south; totals generally seem to be in the 9-12” range, with Mount Snow reporting 15” as the standout:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 9”

Smuggler’s Notch: 11”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 10”

Sugarbush: 9”

Middlebury: 10”

Pico: 12”

Killington: 12”

Okemo: 10”

Bromley: 10”

Magic Mountain: 10”

Stratton: 11”

Mount Snow: 15”

Stowe was pretty primo today.  People were poaching before patrol got around to opening everything up.  Between shin-to-knee deep and soft bumps, it was a nice morning for sure.  The lots were pretty full as a result of peoples' expectations.

I just noticed Smuggs has opened Robin's Run- which is usually the last thing to open and a sign of the great conditions out there (they're 100% open all of a sudden).  Seems like we're close to opening the backcountry up down below 2000', but waiting for one more storm would probably be prudent.

Stowe was pretty primo today.  People were poaching before patrol got around to opening everything up.  Between shin-to-knee deep and soft bumps, it was a nice morning for sure.  The lots were pretty full as a result of peoples' expectations.

I just noticed Smuggs has opened Robin's Run- which is usually the last thing to open and a sign of the great conditions out there (they're 100% open all of a sudden).  Seems like we're close to opening the backcountry up down below 2000', but waiting for one more storm would probably be prudent.

We still need to open the backcountry up above 2,000ft ;)

Nothing off the Chin or Kitchen Wall is really in yet, and I skied some glades today that were much better than before the storm...but still were a little scary with the amount of stuff you can hit under the new snow.  I think we're one more good storm away from more widespread woods skiing.  But its close now and just waiting for that system to top it off.

Are you now skiing at Stowe?  You've got a Smuggs pass right? 

Still, overall a good day.  The shear volume of people today was impressive right out of the gate... the powder day was really more yesterday afternoon, and I heard some folks disappointed that there wasn't as much powder to ski as they were hoping (it seemed like they were assuming no one skied at all yesterday, and the 8-10" was just sitting untouched on all the trails).  I usually find that if the bulk of a storm hits during the daytime, there's really no true powder day like there is when you get significant snowfall overnight.  Daytime snows get skied as it falls, then if it stops in the evening, it all gets groomed in that night. 

1796415_10151845745302382_96225489_n.jpg

We still need to open the backcountry up above 2,000ft ;)

Nothing off the Chin or Kitchen Wall is really in yet, and I skied some glades today that were much better than before the storm...but still were a little scary with the amount of stuff you can hit under the new snow.  I think we're one more good storm away from more widespread woods skiing.  But its close now and just waiting for that system to top it off.

Are you now skiing at Stowe?  You've got a Smuggs pass right? 

Still, overall a good day.  The shear volume of people today was impressive right out of the gate... the powder day was really more yesterday afternoon, and I heard some folks disappointed that there wasn't as much powder to ski as they were hoping (it seemed like they were assuming no one skied at all yesterday, and the 8-10" was just sitting untouched on all the trails).  I usually find that if the bulk of a storm hits during the daytime, there's really no true powder day like there is when you get significant snowfall overnight.  Daytime snows get skied as it falls, then if it stops in the evening, it all gets groomed in that night. 

Stowe from time-to-time when the opportunity arises.  Still have the Smuggs pass.  Now that I'm over by Waterbury, may avoid the long drive and just skin up Spruce early AM and ski Smuggs after.  Not really sure how that will work out- if we get enough snow, will probably abandon lift-served for a while, anyway.

Crowds yesterday were light compared to today- as you said, the snow was skied as it fell.  We actually decided against Mansfield today- stayed over at Spruce, and had no traffic and 3.5 runs with fresh, deep snow on some natural snow trails plus some lightly skied super soft stuff for another 3 runs or so. We gambled and got snow quality/no crowds while sacrificing terrain- seemed like an easily acceptable tradeoff after Mansfield yesterday and not feeling like venturing into the woods.

Figured the woods were still sketchy- a ski schooler told me someone found really deep snow in the Booger Fields a few days ago (purported waist deep- take with a grain of salt)- but another storm seems to be worth waiting for if you value longevity in the ski season and beyond.  Knees are an evolutionary design flaw already- don't really need to push it any further.

My normal thermometer is not operating properly, but it looks like we bottomed out at -13F this morning.  

Looks like it is going to be perfect weather for the Vermont Pond Hockey Championship this weekend here on Lake Morey.  If you can't make it over you can always watch it on their webcam.  

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

I hadn’t seen the latest version of BTV’s storm accumulation map posted here, so I’m adding it below.  They actually have the storm total for my location on the Waterbury/Bolton line down as 8.5” instead of 8.3”, but that’s because there was 0.2” of that fluff from the previous day that was rolled into my CoCoRaHS report the next morning.  As PF had mentioned, the accumulations were a lot more uniform from north to south in Vermont than one might have initially expected, and I think the yellow shading does a nice job of showing everywhere that hit that 8-inch threshold.  Combined with the lack of any areas really showing that orange shading to indicate the 12-inch threshold, it really displays the relative uniformity in snowfall.

06FEB14C.jpg

Clear skies above but there's a slight haze to the air and some frozen dust falling.  Weird morning.

My normal thermometer is not operating properly, but it looks like we bottomed out at -13F this morning.  

Looks like it is going to be perfect weather for the Vermont Pond Hockey Championship this weekend here on Lake Morey.  If you can't make it over you can always watch it on their webcam.  

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Yeah, looks good on the lake and saw their thermo showing -12.8F. 

Sneaky cold.

Interesting how the Mansfield stake basically recorded only a small ~3" gain in the past few days.  Would've thought it would be a fair bit higher.  Wonder what it'll come in at tonight- seems like a foot or so of snow should bump it more than a few inches.

Interesting how the Mansfield stake basically recorded only a small ~3" gain in the past few days.  Would've thought it would be a fair bit higher.  Wonder what it'll come in at tonight- seems like a foot or so of snow should bump it more than a few inches.

The snow we had received prior was incredibly fluffy, high ratio stuff.  This synoptic snow essentially crushed that old snow... 7.8" reported by the co-op (really not a bad sample by their standards, at least it wasn't like 50% low or something) and a 3" increase.  

Last night we picked up another 3" at 3,000ft and the skiing was quite sublime today...truly the best conditions of the season right now.  For the first time this season I've recorded 20" in a 7 day period at 3,000ft.  So we may have gained a couple inches this week to climo, haha.  This actually should be a fairly standard week, but not for winter 2013-2014.  Anyway, we are enjoying it while we have it.  I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a busy day at the resort.  There's really no reason not to go skiing right now.  Its not brutally cold and the snow is excellent.

1796633_10151847151542382_1064433469_n.j

1509863_10101803287873510_1803955076_n.j

1486628_10151847254812382_1160801108_n.j

1601578_10151847253697382_651964613_n.jp

Just did my first mini ride of the season, a quick 15 or so miles to shake down the sled. Looks like 14" or 15" maybe less but I'm optimistic. This is in the woods at 1200' - 1300'. Much less in fields and exposed areas. Beautiful night. About 15F and a little bit of moonlight. Poker run tomorrow should be good for 50-60 miles.

Archived