• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

pinging on the radar... sure enough, sleet here at Smuggs village.  ~36F.  Smuggs didn't report anything today on their website directly, but bumped their seasonal snowfall up a few inches (perhaps 2-3" up top, nada at the base).  Someone said the mountain actually skied well with the wet snow up top and the mash potatoes down below.  Smuggs also opened back up a few trails with this new paste on the upper mountain. 

Hopefully we've started to nickel/dime things back into shape- at least it's wet, sticky and will hopefully bond well.

The skiing was surprisingly good today.... like an March/April day... winter up high with some fresh wet snow, transitioning to almost spring corn like hero snow.  Spots in the sun were soft and you could carve trenches in it, while spots in the shade and north-facing were firm all day.  Very March/April like variability in conditions based on elevation and aspect.

shoosh. You shouldn't make it sound like VT has so much snow that winter activities are being enjoyed by all. Some SNE folks will think all is well. Lol.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All snow here. dusting. I like this snow consistency- it's wet.  Wet snow is king right now.  And it's nice to see the gravel/dirt roads not looking like pock-marked mud holes- it's actually starting to look like winter again.

we're over a half inch here on the ground- and it's a solid half-inch.  Wet, packable and will likely bond to well. Still Snowing nicely.  By my estimation, and per PF's observations, this is like an April/November snow. It's probably been snowing at the higher elevations for several hours now, while we changed over ~2.5 hours ago.

We'll see hour tomorrow AM works out, but I imagine the resorts snowmaking trails will be markedly improved from a few days ago come tomorrow morning.  Anything beats boilerplate.  

we're over a half inch here on the ground- and it's a solid half-inch.  Wet, packable and will likely bond to well. Still Snowing nicely.  By my estimation, and per PF's observations, this is like an April/November snow. It's probably been snowing at the higher elevations for about 5 hours or so.  

We'll see hour tomorrow AM works out, but I imagine the resorts will be markedly improved from a few days ago come tomorrow morning.  

Where are you?

It’s nice to hear (and see!) snow in the thread discussion.  I just checked and there are some flakes falling here now – there’s nothing to report for accumulation, but that graphical point forecast continues to get more and more wintry as we gradually work our way past the rainier period we’ve been experiencing:

15JAN14A.jpg

The band overhead seems to have intensified. Best snow of the night so far coming down now.

yeah, upstream radar looks good.  Up here it's slowed down a bit for now, but the radar looks promising.

I'm liking this event so far.  We're near 1" of thick snow here, and it's been snowing up high for what looked like a while longer today/tonight.  Waiting to see what comes from upstream.

Looking good for a slight overperformer here in the valley.

Light snow at ~1080'.  Decided to take a trip just now up from the village to where Rt. 108 closes. Snowfall was damn near double the rate @ ~1700' with moderate snow (well, not sure about rates- but looked like it!) There was well over an inch at the Notch road lot, a little lighter density on top of wet as expected.  The snowfall rate was excitedly higher.  One SUV was stuck  on the road on the way up near the last resort condo turn off (snow tires are waaaay better than four wheel drive IMHO!).  

Looks to be going good.  I like this night.

Looking good for a slight overperformer here in the valley.

No event to speak of here. A few sprinkles and graupel balls is all I have seen tonight.

The flow is super blocked (Froude is well below 0.50, even 0.10-0.30), so its definitely helping the CPV while screwing locations like Waterbury and Montpelier so far.

The flow is super blocked (Froude is well below 0.50, even 0.10-0.30), so its definitely helping the CPV while screwing locations like Waterbury and Montpelier so far.

Wonder how the blocking affects the north side of the notch, here at Smuggs. It's situated adjacent to the north-south Mansfield massif, but also has a more or less northwest facing bowl shape where the spine makes an eastward shift.  

Snowing lightly here in the valley.

Its amazing that a dusting to 1-2" is as exciting as it is right now in January in NNE... but this was such a welcome site on the drive in, haha.

There's 0.75" at the base of the mountain, and grooming reports around 2" upper mountain where all precip was snow last night (as opposed to starting as light rain like it did below 2,500ft).  Blocked flow definitely helped BTV area and west side I'm sure.  Smuggs reporting 2-3" so they got a healthier burst of snow throughout the night on the low level northerly flow.  Inversion level looked to be at like 2,500-3,000ft or so... really blocked.

Archived