Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GYX says zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
THE MEAN L/WV TROF POSITION OVER THE GT LAKES WILL BE VERY SLOWLY
RETROGRADING LATER THIS WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND. THIS MEANS IN
THE OUTLOOK PERIOD MORE TRANQUIL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED AS A MORE
ZONAL WSWLY FLOW DEVELOPS WITH ONLY MINOR S/WVES MOVING THRU THE
FLOW. NO MAJOR STORMS EXPECTED WITH THIS TYPE OF PATTERN. THE DEEP
ARCTIC AMS THAT HAS PLAGUED THE AREA WILL RETREAT AND REMAIN OVER
CANADA. WITH THIS PATTERN MORE SEASONAL TEMPS CAN BE EXPECTED.
STAYED CLOSE TO SUPERBLEND MODEL GUID FOR THE OUTLOOK PERIOD.

There were 8 inch drifts in the parking lot here in Montpelier from what loked like maybe an inch of accumulation.

Yeah, parts of my driveway were almost bare...other parts drifted a few inches deep.  Wind has been brutal.  Hard to measure, partly because I didn't get outside until 2pm, but average of 1" here over 5 different measurement spots.  Snowboard was useless this time.

18z GFS a bit better look for late this coming weekend with a NW tick, fwiw...not much this far out, I know.

Elevated snow board was absolutely useless today, but best estimate I can get is around 1.5" for the squalls at home today.

I will say, although January was punted with no warning level events and still well below normal snowfall, my location has at least mustered up 12.2" in three small events over the past 7 days. 

Snow depth at my location is up to a season high 9.5", which includes about 1.5" of solid material (ice/snow from the thaws earlier in the month) and then 8" of powder from the 12.2" that fell in the past week.  It is the first time since mid-December that I can look outside and really feel like it looks like winter.

Fresh snow in the driveway from today's squall.

It isn't a whole lot, and I'm still looking to hit 10" depth (can't quite call it that at 9.5", haha) for the first time this season...but this will work for now.

I came up with a 1.5" estimate as well.  Snowboard was clear so I went with the average of multiple measurements from the driveway and back deck.

Yeah I had exactly 0" on the elevated snow board out in the yard (it didn't stand a chance in today's wind), haha.  Glad you came up with a similar amount.

Powder what camera did you shoot your squall pics with? By the way for reference in my shots I believe each power pole is 75 feet or so apart if they went by the standard.

Cannon Rebel XS... pretty sure I just had the default 18-55mm lens on it and not the 55-250mm lens.

The backyard shots are quality iPhone photos, haha.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.02” L.E.

I found 0.5” of new snow here at the house this evening, but I had to go to my ground snowboard for an accurate measurement, since some of the snow had blown off the elevated snowboard and the coating was uneven.  It’s very fluffy stuff, so it wouldn’t take much wind to disrupt it.  The accumulation on the ground board was very even though, and it may have settled some, but it came in at 4.0% H2O, so there probably couldn’t have been more than a couple of tenths extra before settling.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 12.9 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Had 1.0" on 0.11" LE between 8A and 1P today, so only another 0.7" needed to eclipse last year's 5.7" for January futility. Looks kinda dry between now and the end of the month, however.

Still windy and temp has fallen to 10 from the high of 25.

You and I are the bottom feeders for Maine

Is there any decent riding south of the County in Maine? One of these years I'm going to head up to ride during reciprocity weekend. Doesn't look Ioke it will be this year unless I want to drive 8-10 hours, which won't be this year.

Over towards the NW by the mountains, Jackman area is always decent

Just the reverse of climo - I'm at the bottom and the coast is leading (though Lava Hill isn't shown on the snow table - I might be a tiny bit ahead of there.)

Is there any decent riding south of the County in Maine? One of these years I'm going to head up to ride during reciprocity weekend. Doesn't look Ioke it will be this year unless I want to drive 8-10 hours, which won't be this year.

Pretty thin up there, too, at least for midwinter Aroostook, though the eastern part got a foot or so from the two events Sat/Mon, somewhat less west of Rt 11.  I'm not sure whether our Northern Region foresters are using snowshoes yet. 

About -12 when I left the house, though the bank sign in Belgrade read 7F as I came thru 15 minutes later.  BML/HIE both touched -14.

Had 1.0" on 0.11" LE between 8A and 1P today, so only another 0.7" needed to eclipse last year's 5.7" for January futility. Looks kinda dry between now and the end of the month, however.

I think I'm good for 3rd place

It is interesting how awful January has been in recent years.

23.4" at the COOP on Mansfield from a normal of 46"...so oddly enough, exactly 50% of normal, similar to last January.

On my snowboard I've had 32" out of a 15-year average in the 70s, but long term it's likely 65-ish...still about 50% of normal. Last year was 39" in January, another sub-par.

It is funny though how with the different collection methods between my board and the can at the COOP, the percentages from normal are usually pretty close, even if the actual values are different. Yesterday was a great example, they reported 0.5" and I posted a pic on the last page of 2" at the snowboard.

Archived