joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTV went to a warning in the Dacks...probably prudent but an interesting time to do it just prior to precip arrival. Magnitude of precipitation coming and likelyhood of remaining below freezing for most of the event though probably warrants a WSW regardless of actual p-type. RAP keeps pummeling them with 12-18".

Thanks for the heads up on that PF - BTV NWS had updated the advisories and accumulations maps this evening – the new advisories map with the Winter Storm Warning is below:

29MAR14E.jpg

The most recent projected accumulations map from this evening is interesting, with some of the western slopes of the Greens highlighted now for enhanced accumulations:

29MAR14F.jpg

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.72” L.E.

Precipitation started up in earnest last night a bit before midnight, and it was a mixture of rain and snow, with large snowflakes at times.  The precipitation would become all snow when the intensity was heavy enough, but temperatures were marginal at 2-3 degrees above freezing, so accumulation was quite slushy and slow.  Unfortunately, I can’t say exactly what went on during the night, but I’ll assume that it was something similar because it’s basically the same this morning, with a slushy 0.2” on the snowboards.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.9

Snow Density: 35.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Rain/Snow

Snow at the stake: 16.0 inches

There’s certainly been more snow in the higher elevations with this system.  The temperature on the Mt. Mansfield gauge at 3,950’ is in the 27-28F range, the Bolton Valley Weather Station at 2,100’ is reporting 31 F, and I can see snow falling on the Bolton Valley Web Cam.

Below is the north to south listing of some of the snowfall totals so far from the Vermont ski areas; totals fall of pretty quickly as one heads to the south:

Jay Peak: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 1”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 0”

Mount Snow: 0”

The latest advisories and accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below; the latest accumulations map is pretty in line with the <1” that we’ve had here in Waterbury.  The largest totals in the area continue to be expected across the lake in the Adirondacks:

30MAR14A.jpg

30MAR14B.jpg

Everything possible came out of the sky last night...groomers said snow and sleet up high through 5am before changing over to rain/sleet...mostly rain/sleet at base, now just rain most elevations. I heard anywhere from 3-5" may have fallen up at the summit, but it's drifting so hard to tell exactly (I went with the low number to be safe, but I wouldn't doubt Bolton's 5" based on what I heard here). Gore-Tex and soft/sticky snow type of day.

1.0" snow/sleet/stuff overnight, to all rain by sunrise, 0.65" total precip. Saw a 3.5" cocorahs report from a location 20 miles to my north. We have the WWA/flood watch here as well, a first in my experience - but seems warranted as the roads were probably awful during the sleet period pre-dawn and it's moderate rain atm. Looks like the back end of the heavier stuff is only a couple hours away. Lost 5" snowpack (down to 35") while I was at CON for a meeting Fri-Sat, and today's mess hasn't moved the needle.

Been sitting at 33 here for hours--since last night actually.

Not a trace of frozen here from what I can tell but it's possible I slept through some sleet sometime last night.

All-in-all, not as bad as I thought it might be:  0.74" of rain with only light drizzle falling now and the radar looking a bit ragged.  Don't think we'll see the 1.50" that was on the table yesterday.

The mid-40s yesterday put more of a dent in the pack than did the cold rain last night.  Pack settled 2" during the day yesterday and another inch last night during the rain...

We must have started as snow as there is about 3/4 inch of slush on the back patio that is so water-logged that it is transparent. So traces of white left on the car and barn roof. So close.

Pretty much the same here. I was surprised to see Allenson report no frozen at all. Just looking at the what's on the deck and car, the ratio looks like 1.5:1 LOL. Barely frozen at all!

Pretty much the same here. I was surprised to see Allenson report no frozen at all. Just looking at the what's on the deck and car, the ratio looks like 1.5:1 LOL. Barely frozen at all!

Not that I can tell anyway.  Been just above 32 for the whole duration.

Snow & ice on the driveway hardly budged last night though--pretty slushy out there.

Dirt roads got muddy in a hurry yesterday too!

Everything possible came out of the sky last night...groomers said snow and sleet up high through 5am before changing over to rain/sleet...mostly rain/sleet at base, now just rain most elevations. I heard anywhere from 3-5" may have fallen up at the summit, but it's drifting so hard to tell exactly (I went with the low number to be safe, but I wouldn't doubt Bolton's 5" based on what I heard here). Gore-Tex and soft/sticky snow type of day.

Yeah, Bolton’s actually doing the same sort of thing; they’ve got 2-3” new for their actual entry on their snow report page, but then mention the 3-5” in their text.  I was up at the mountain for a couple of runs this morning, and the Vista Quad to the summit was on wind hold, so I rode the Mid Mountain Chair, and then started skinning up from there.  Fortunately, a got a quick sled assist to the top – I probably wouldn’t have skinned all the way up otherwise, because the precipitation had changed over to freezing rain and put a crust on top of the snow up there.  My depth checks revealed roughly up to 6” up top though, with the caveat that it was a bit tough to tell where the new dense snow ended, and the old snow began.  The skiing was really nice on the bottom half of the mountain; there was a dense accumulation of snow and sleet, it was warm enough that the crust hadn’t formed.  There are definitely some silky smooth turns out there at the right elevations.  Not sure if the same thing is going on at Stowe though; the ridgeline temp is still at 28 F, so that could mean some icing like I saw at Bolton.  We’re heading there for some turns this afternoon though, so we’ll see.

There's definitely been some crusting on the upper mountain...especially as the morning has gone on. There's more ice on the trees now than there was at 8am.

Best turns are from 2500ft and down to 1500ft at the base (Mountain Triple and Sunny Spruce would be the lifts), tough the top has been cut up enough to be manageable.

In general what you wrote about Bolton sounds comparable.

We must have started as snow as there is about 3/4 inch of slush on the back patio that is so water-logged that it is transparent. So traces of white left on the car and barn roof. So close.

That's about what I had on my driveway at 7:30 this morning.  When I got up again at 12:30 it was all gone.  Now if we can just get some sun!

lol @ how bad the NAM was leading up to this.

I'm looking for my 12-18" of snow, haha. Shame how un-usable that model is in synoptic events. It an be right but with no confidence in it, you almost have to toss it every time.

That snow on the upper elevations last night was the wettest stuff I've seen in a very long time. You can tell by that pic I posted where the evergreens have like 1-2" on the and the branches are pointed straight to the ground. You make a snowball and can squeeze the water out of it. 3.5" snow on 1" of QPF? :lol:

I'm looking for my 12-18" of snow, haha. Shame how un-usable that model is in synoptic events. It an be right but with no confidence in it, you almost have to toss it every time.

That snow on the upper elevations last night was the wettest stuff I've seen in a very long time. You can tell by that pic I posted where the evergreens have like 1-2" on the and the branches are pointed straight to the ground. You make a snowball and can squeeze the water out of it. 3.5" snow on 1" of QPF? :lol:

Yea you guys have an incredible pack going on,appears more chances in the cards too. Tues Wed could be bluebird spring skiing days,Jealous

Archived