Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I have no doubt it does, I was just commenting that I wouldn't bank on all QPF out by Lyndon to the east averaging 15:1 after 7pm.

Disclaimer, these are not complaining posts. Just discussing the storm, lol.

as usual you are on target....awful dentrite's first half of storm

Not really seeing a conventional "screw job" here. a screw job would be widespread 6-10" or less. Everybody should be doing pretty darn fine come tomorrow AM.

Yeah...a nice 10-16" storm from north to south.

This was another system that sort of ran away with everyone expecting 20-24". I've heard a lot of folks this evening in the bar saying we'll get another foot overnight and the storm must only be beginning because there's only 9" out there :lol:

This was another system that sort of ran away with everyone expecting 20-24". I've heard a lot of folks this evening in the bar saying we'll get another foot overnight and the storm must only be beginning because there's only 9" out there :lol:

they may be right

Quite pleased here... 10.3" with one board clearing...9.8" without board clearing.

Still coming down hard.

March12_11pm.gif

Stopped for gas on the Mountain Road... it was coming down hard and blowing too.  Snow growth optimal in these bands.

Some cell phone stormin' pics...Alpine Mart & Valero never looked so good.

March12_11pm.jpg

photo%201.JPG

I'm at ~12".  I'm throwing in the towel tonight (sleep-wise).  I figured this would be a 16-20" storm in the valleys,  the 20-24" would be up high, anyway.  

Sure, 2 feet would be cool out the back door, but the general 1-2' will likely verify as one would expect given terrain and banding.  Just wait and see what morning brings...   Wonder what the resorts will report.   

edit: it's absolutely ripping out there.  I honestly wouldn't bet against ~20"+ at elevation by tomorrow PM.  There's a good enough chance of it happening.  Regardless, likely best deep powder day of the season.

Event totals: 11.2” Snow/1.20” L.E.

You couldn’t have had the snowfall accumulation more in synch with the clock if you tried this evening – there was 5” at 5:00 P.M. this evening, and the accumulation just ticked off from there at 1”/hr.  Anyway, I measured exactly 6.0” on the snowboards from the past 6 hours, and the density has hung around 10% H2O.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 6.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.61 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 9.8

Snow Density: 10.2% H2O

Temperature: 18.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 21.0 inches

I’ve only created the one 12” dowel for the web cam setup at this point, so in case the storm depth exceeds that point, I’ve added a ruler as a temporary extension up to 17”.

12MAR14F.jpg

Event totals: 15.0” Snow/1.49” L.E.

The overnight accumulation has brought this storm past the 14.0” one from the middle of last month to make it the largest of the season.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.29 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 13.1

Snow Density: 7.6% H2O

Temperature: 7.9 F

Sky: Light/Moderate Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 24.5 inches

I’ve only created the one 12” dowel for the web cam setup at this point, so in case the storm depth exceeds that point, I’ve added a ruler as a temporary extension up to 17”.

Indeed the extension of the gauge for the web cam setup was welcomed, since the storm depth surpassed the 12” height of the primary gauge overnight.  With the storm total from the 6 to 12 hour clearings of the snowboards at 15.0”, the gauge allows a sense of the settling for this event:

13MAR14A.jpg

The forecast was for 12-20.  The range verified but I don't know where yet.  I had to dig a channel out for the dog to go to the bathroom but I have not ventured far enough to get an "accurate" total.  Three measurements so far were 13", 13", and 25".  Lots of drifts so far.  This looks closer to one foot than two but I will try to narrow it down. 

The north to south listing of available storm totals from the Vermont ski areas are below; I’m using the 48-hour totals or reported storm totals when available to account for the portion of the storm that fell before opening yesterday:

Jay Peak: 24”

Burke: 18”

Smuggler’s Notch: 16”

Stowe: 20”

Bolton Valley: 24”

Mad River Glen: 20”

Sugarbush: 19”

Pico: 23”

Killington: 23”

Okemo: 10”

Bromley: 6”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 5”

Mount Snow: 4”

Totals fell off rather quickly south of Killington, presumably due to mixed precipitation along with the snow.  I’m unsure about the 16” number from Smugg’s, but I can’t confirm that since they don’t provide a 48-hr total and haven’t mentioned a storm total.

Archived