• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

Yeah, he had to walk to an inn down the road, I can't remember it's name, the Grey Bonnet? 

Yes, Rt.4 is a US highway.  I've asked friends who work road crews why they don't seem to be kept as good as they used to be and they have been unanimous with the reason - huge increases in traffic.  With more cars out during storms, the snow gets churned up and packed into ice quicker and it is harder to keep up with them.  I'm not saying that this true for Rt. 4 because that has always been a tough spot but I'm sure it is a contributing factor.

Yes, the grey bonnet.

It just seems even when it's not snowing, they are cheap putting down salt/sand in that area.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude what are u driving on back roads tomm pm, (hummer) that is a risky mission?

Jeep Commander.  Well, by back roads I mean mostly state and county roads. No interstates.  It will definitely be slow going.  Route 4 near Killington is often a mess, with some going too fast and trucks getting stuck.  The first turn onto 100 is sharp and dangerous and it always seems to pound snow in the Granville Gulch.  The other options of Brandon Gap or App Gap are unwise in storms. If it is really bad, I will delay until the early am or stop and ask Cantore for ride.  The allure of Powder skiing is powerful. 

Hopefully I'll see you there (and we r both in 1 piece).

Not sure about which direction winds effect the lifts more, but there will definitely be wind hold issues on Thursday.

Im most concerned about going down the east side of the gap on route 4. For a major interstate highway going through a mountain pass by a ski mtn, they don't seem to do much to keep that passable.

Be safe and take it slow.  Blizzaks are incredible but no need to push them.  I will look for your Honda on the way.  Just remember to fill up on gas before heading up 100.  The gas stations are few and close early.  Adolph will be pissed if Heavan's gate is down!!!

Jeep Commander.  Well, by back roads I mean mostly state and county roads. No interstates.  It will definitely be slow going.  Route 4 near Killington is often a mess, with some going too fast and trucks getting stuck.  The first turn onto 100 is sharp and dangerous and it always seems to pound snow in the Granville Gulch.  The other options of Brandon Gap or App Gap are unwise in storms. If it is really bad, I will delay until the early am or stop and ask Cantore for ride.  The allure of Powder skiing is powerful. 

Stay on 107 over to 89 in Bethel.  It may be longer but might be better.  Of course the section between Bethel and Montpelier can get very nasty, the elevation gets up to 1800'

Be safe and take it slow.  Blizzaks are incredible but no need to push them.  I will look for your Honda on the way.  Just remember to fill up on gas before heading up 100.  The gas stations are few and close early.  Adolph will be pissed if Heavan's gate is down!!!

I know that road like the back my hand and will be taking it slow. Respect the snow. Hubris is what gets u. I fill up in Wallingford or Rutland every Friday night. Good luck.

well...  Jay Peak (ministry of propaganda?) has been working hard.  Verbatim:

In case you’ve been living under a rock the past few days, we are gearing up for a massive snow storm to hit New England in the next 48 hours. What does that mean for Jay Peak? We’re seeing the potential for 2-4” falling daytime tomorrow, 6-10” Wednesday night, 7-9” Thursday and more snow into the weekend; we’ll give you a moment to wipe the drool off your face and start drafting up some sick-day excuses (FYI, “explosive diarrhea” usually does the trick).

I don't understand Jay Peak's management.  At all.  

good thing it's gonna snow, anyway.

well... Jay Peak (ministry of propaganda?) has been working hard. Verbatim:

In case you’ve been living under a rock the past few days, we are gearing up for a massive snow storm to hit New England in the next 48 hours. What does that mean for Jay Peak? We’re seeing the potential for 2-4” falling daytime tomorrow, 6-10” Wednesday night, 7-9” Thursday and more snow into the weekend; we’ll give you a moment to wipe the drool off your face and start drafting up some sick-day excuses (FYI, “explosive diarrhea” usually does the trick).

I don't understand Jay Peak's management. At all.

good thing it's gonna snow, anyway.

What's so wrong with that, this storm has me drooling for you guys and wishing I was there!

Well it's pretty much hurry up and wait time. At this point it's just going to come down to mesoscale nuances to determine final totals.

Biggest concern I have is storm speed. I'd like to see it blocked a bit on its eastward flight. 0z NAM is faster than yesterday's models. 

I think widespread 10-20" is reasonable. I think the ADK might actually be the jackpot 

Gonna be an interesting 36 hours, that's for sure.  My work schedule today at Dartmouth is my late day:  12:30pm--9pm and luckily I'm off tomorrow & Friday and have a I free pass to Sugarbush on Sunday.  :snowing:

Gonna be a plow-on-the-truck to work kinda day today.  Don't like to do it with all the frost heaves and only being a half-ton....  It's times like this that having a 1700' driveway can be a real burden.  :pimp:

7 to Rutland, then 4 to 100 north to warren. Driving Mazda cx9 awd with relatively new blizzak snow tires. Expect killington to warren will be very tough sledding. Usually takes me 1.5 hours from Manchester to warren but assuming tomorrow it will be 3+ hours.

You'll probably be okay until sunset. The March sun combined with salting should keep the roads okay until then.

That is the price of glory.  I plan on leaving Saratoga Springs for Sugarbush sometime after 530 pm.  I will drive back roads through Washington County into Vt.  No one on the roads is the key.  Good luck and enjoy the Powder.  My only concern is the wind.  How does SB fare with north winds?  Big buzz kill when you complete a white knuckle ride only to get shut out by wind holds. 

If you're crossing at Crown Point, you might be utterly blind for the last couple miles on the NY side.  Long ways to the north for the wind to gather snow.

Edit:  read the follow-up posts, looks like you're avoiding Crown Pt and App Gap.  Wise move.  Haven't been there in a long time, but one of my worst white-out experiences was there on the flats west of the bridge, in a sunny-day ground blizzard.

What's so wrong with that, this storm has me drooling for you guys and wishing I was there!

the last line of the report... it's not funny, plenty crude, and just stupid.  Jay Peak's snow reporting is just bad on many fronts- nobody even come close to the cheese-and-BS level of these guys- it's like a couple bro's just got handed a keyboard and were given free reign to say whatever- it's just painful.  

in any event, been snowing all morning.  got maybe an 1" or so down. The heavy stuff appears to be just south of 89, so should be picking up here quite soon.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Today’s storm was already underway when I made my 6:00 A.M. observations this morning, with 0.2” down.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

I cleared my snowboards after observations time, including my measurement board for the J&E Productions Live Web Cam, so that will be showing what has accumulated since 6:00 A.M.

I’ve actually had a chance to update my monitoring setup for the web camera over the past couple of weeks.  Despite our relatively calm location, the wooden measurement blocks I’ve been using thus far as a reference for snow depth have still resulted in uneven accumulations at times.  Since all it takes is the smallest little eddy current to disrupt the deposition of the snow (especially fluffy, upslope-style snow), I’ve created a circular measurement gauge like the poles I see Powderfreak use at Stowe.  The circular shape means that it should be less disruptive to air flow, and that interaction with air flow should be equivalent in every direction.  Also, the footprint of an a roughly 1-inch diameter dowel is much less than the wooden blocks I’d used, so while I know there will still be uneven distribution at times, it should be substantially minimized.

Anyway, the cam is running for those that want to follow the snowfall in our location along the Waterbury/Bolton line in real time, and you can get to it by the linked text above.  I’ll aim to let that sit without clearing it, but as my gauge on the board only goes to 12 inches, I may have to clear it at some point depending on how the storm goes.  As of noontime, it looks like the snow accumulation was approaching a couple of inches:

12MAR14C.jpg

Event totals: 5.2” Snow/0.59” L.E.

The snow seemed to be falling at roughly an inch an hour this afternoon, and indeed it’s dense, synoptic stuff, coming in above 10% H20.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 5.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.57 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.8

Snow Density: 11.4% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Even with the small flakes, it still seems to be running around the 1”/hr pace, with ~6 inches on the gauge at the J&E Productions Live Web Cam as of 6:00 P.M.:

12MAR14E.jpg

Not surprising. The storm seems to be moving along quickly and snow growth just hasn't been good over here.

Well hold on one second. I am partially color blind and I think I screwed myself over. HAHA

HRRR shows additional 0.7-0.85" of liquid. So at least additional 10" at 15:1 ratio. 

We just got 1.5" in the last hour here in Lyndonville

Well hold on one second. I am partially color blind and I think I screwed myself over. HAHA

HRRR shows additional 0.7-0.85" of liquid. So at least additional 10" at 15:1 ratio. 

We just got 1.5" in the last hour here in Lyndonville

No one is getting 15:1 ratios though. 

I think we are under 10:1 ratios... 7" or so here now.  Very dense.  1.2" in the last hour.

No one is getting 15:1 ratios though. 

I think we are under 10:1 ratios... 7" or so here now.  Very dense.  1.2" in the last hour.

Ratios will improve with the ULL snows...but yeah, the first 2/3 has basically functioned as a SWFE because of the torched mid levels.

BTV says you go 17-1 , been a while since you had synoptic, patience.

Oh I have no doubt it does, I was just commenting that I wouldn't bank on all QPF out by Lyndon to the east averaging 15:1 after 7pm.

Disclaimer, these are not complaining posts. Just discussing the storm, lol.

Archived