SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was all taint IMBY - 2" IP and 1/2" ZR, while 40 miles NW was 18-20" snow.

Latest from GYX (copy/pasted crudely - my apologies):  Love the little 18-24 blotches, especially since my place is in one of them.  ;)

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Keeps bumping totals all over the place. Went frmo 10-14, to 6-8, now back to 10-14, but not far from 14-18". crazy.

This is going to be an epic snowstorm for places in Central & NE Vermont, Northern NH and NW Maine. Best snow this season. Best thoughts are right along with CTsnowstorm in being 15-20" for most of the NEK.

Personally I think the Champlain Valley may be getting under-played...the wrap around flow looks textbook for CPV convergence and high ratio snows with that low level convergence under larger deformation. If anything close to the 18z NAM happens the CPV could be surprisingly high.

I'm thinking if I leave ny by 1, I get up to vt by 4 encountering only rain, no frozen. Then the rest of the drive will likely be through snow, and slow but doable. Am I nuts?

Yes you are nuts. But dedicated. I would not want to be entering VT at 4pm tomorrow with another 2 hours to go. Although I don't know your route.

e

Yes you are nuts. But dedicated. I would not want to be entering VT at 4pm tomorrow with another 2 hours to go. Although I don't know your route.

That is the price of glory.  I plan on leaving Saratoga Springs for Sugarbush sometime after 530 pm.  I will drive back roads through Washington County into Vt.  No one on the roads is the key.  Good luck and enjoy the Powder.  My only concern is the wind.  How does SB fare with north winds?  Big buzz kill when you complete a white knuckle ride only to get shut out by wind holds. 

That is the price of glory.  I plan on leaving Saratoga Springs for Sugarbush sometime after 530 pm.  I will drive back roads through Washington County into Vt.  No one on the roads is the key.  Good luck and enjoy the Powder.  My only concern is the wind.  How does SB fare with north winds?  Big buzz kill when you complete a white knuckle ride only to get shut out by wind holds. 

I would worry about wind holds through Thu. Not sure how Sugarbush does specifically with the northerlies though.

7 to Rutland, then 4 to 100 north to warren. Driving Mazda cx9 awd with relatively new blizzak snow tires. Expect killington to warren will be very tough sledding. Usually takes me 1.5 hours from Manchester to warren but assuming tomorrow it will be 3+ hours.

not to pester...but i was thinking of staying overnight near Mt snow, or Loon...but i really have no idea what area will do better...any suggestions? or any suggestions for a better place to overnight that's not either of the two mtns i mentioned?

I think mtns could be on wind hold thurs except for bretton woods but finger of steady/.hvy precip gets goin in cne/nne much earlier than Sne

7 to Rutland, then 4 to 100 north to warren. Driving Mazda cx9 awd with relatively new blizzak snow tires. Expect killington to warren will be very tough sledding. Usually takes me 1.5 hours from Manchester to warren but assuming tomorrow it will be 3+ hours.

I wouldn't even make that drive. No way would i be on roads after 4pm or before midnite

Hopefully I'll see you there (and we r both in 1 piece).

Not sure about which direction winds effect the lifts more, but there will definitely be wind hold issues on Thursday.

Im most concerned about going down the east side of the gap on route 4. For a major interstate highway going through a mountain pass by a ski mtn, they don't seem to do much to keep that passable.

That is the price of glory. I plan on leaving Saratoga Springs for Sugarbush sometime after 530 pm. I will drive back roads through Washington County into Vt. No one on the roads is the key. Good luck and enjoy the Powder. My only concern is the wind. How does SB fare with north winds? Big buzz kill when you complete a white knuckle ride only to get shut out by wind holds.

Dude what are u driving on back roads tomm pm, (hummer) that is a risky mission?

Hopefully I'll see you there (and we r both in 1 piece).

Not sure about which direction winds effect the lifts more, but there will definitely be wind hold issues on Thursday.

Im most concerned about going down the east side of the gap on route 4. For a major interstate highway going through a mountain pass by a ski mtn, they don't seem to do much to keep that passable.

Rt. 4 isn't an interstate highway.  It can get hairy, my brother rolled a Toyota truck during a storm a few years back.  It was just past the State Forest when you turn onto 100.

Rt. 4 isn't an interstate highway.  It can get hairy, my brother rolled a Toyota truck during a storm a few years back.  It was just past the State Forest when you turn onto 100.

It's a us highway, no? It's kind of inexplicable why they don't keep that clear.

That's a tricky spot right there because it's going downhill on a curve.

It's a us highway, no? It's kind of inexplicable why they don't keep that clear.

That's a tricky spot right there because it's going downhill on a curve.

Yeah, he had to walk to an inn down the road, I can't remember it's name, the Grey Bonnet? 

Yes, Rt.4 is a US highway.  I've asked friends who work road crews why they don't seem to be kept as good as they used to be and they have been unanimous with the reason - huge increases in traffic.  With more cars out during storms, the snow gets churned up and packed into ice quicker and it is harder to keep up with them.  I'm not saying that this true for Rt. 4 because that has always been a tough spot but I'm sure it is a contributing factor.

Archived