• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

I have business in the Burlington area on Friday that I have been dreading for months. Looks like things are going to be a bit more interesting than I originally had thought. Was going to leave my area late Thursday afternoon, but I'm thinking I'll leave early Wednesday so I can ride out the storm up there. In all the years my family has had a little house in Orleans County, I've never experienced a classic Northern New England nor'easter up there. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance of a blizzard warning up here?  When was the last time that happened?  I know they made the criteria easier so I would think at elevations above 1000 feet with a NE view it could happen with a sub 980 low.

It wouldn't verify even at 1kft. I think the last time we were close to meeting the conditions was Mar 2005.

4" of absolute dust at 3,000ft and higher last night and this morning.

I see Bolton is reporting 5" overnight, too.  Nice fluffer nutter pow.

I put together  the usual north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for last night’s event; the highest totals were in the northern third of the state for that one:

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: T”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 3”

Middlebury: 1”

Suicide Six: 1”

Pico: 0”

Killington: 0”

Okemo: T”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 1”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 2”

At the house, we picked up a final couple of tenths of snow this morning to finish off that event.

As the forecast suggested, we’ve got a similar round of snow coming through tonight.  I was out in Colchester at a meeting this evening, and when I was leaving there around 9:00 P.M. light snow was falling with a temperature in the 36-37F range.  That snowfall increased a bit through Burlington and on toward Williston, before diminishing somewhat through Richmond.  By the time I got to Jonesville though, it picked up again, and was coming down fairly steadily at the house with a temperature around the freezing mark.  The snow has really picked up as of late though, with very big flakes in association with those stronger echoes on the radar:

10MAR14A.gif

I was busy with meetings tonight, but I finally got a chance to get BTV’s latest advisories and snowfall forecast maps together.  There is definitely confidence for some decent snow in the BTV forecast area, since the Winter Storm Watches have already been converted to Winter Storm Warnings:

10MAR14D.jpg

The latest storm total snowfall forecast map peaks along the spine of the Greens with areas in the 18-24” range:

10MAR14E.jpg

As for our point forecast, it’s currently 12-20” through Wednesday night, but there’s another block of snow on Thursday for which accumulations are projected yet.  Anyway, the graphical point forecast barely has a break in flakes through to the weekend:

10MAR14F.jpg

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.15” L.E.

An analysis of the snow from the current system revealed 2.3” of accumulation as of midnight.  It’s actually a touch above freezing down at our elevation, but the temperature doesn’t appear to be much of a factor with respect to accumulation.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.15 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.3

Snow Density: 6.5% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Snow

Snow at the stake: 15.5 inches

On a seasonal benchmark note, the current system marks the 50th accumulating snow event of the season for this location.

2.6" at home and 31F... 2.0" at 1,500ft and 34F...hmmm

I noticed at home all the snow was caked to everything, all the trees, bushes, sides of tree trunks, etc.  That must've been the 31-32F current temp allowing that to say fluffed up to some extent.  As I drove up the road, the temp rose and I noticed more and more that the snow was falling or dripping off the trees until up here at the base of the mountain there's very little left on the trees.

I'm thinking we probably got similar amounts of snow, but up here has been melting for several hours and compacting it down to 2", while at home it wasn't melting and was able to hold its weight.

Here's my redneck snowboard this morning (which includes an over-turned beach cooler with a peice of a shed resting on top)...lol

A car in the parking lot at the condo that hadn't moved in the last day or so was sporting nearly 4" on top of it from the 4.6" that's fallen in the past two days.  You can see the snow was wet as its sliding off the windows.

1" of mashed potatoes here at home this morning.

Regardless of snow amounts having been cut back, this storm is still going to be fun to watch. Going to be a mix fest with snow, sleet and freezing rain. I love this type of storm almost as much as I do a pure snow storm. Watching the CF wavering around and seeing the diferences in p-type in short distances. Congrats to those in the mountains and foot hills.

So two maps produced by BTV this morning don't seem to be lining, not that it really matters, but interesting.

The social media map created Tuesday morning is this:

attachicon.gifMarch11fcst.JPG

Then there's this map on their storm total page, created at 7am...

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst.png

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcstZoomUR.png

The one posted on Social Media was 48 hour total, not Storm Total.

1.8" new on 0.17" LE, finished with a bit of fr dz.  Morning AFD from GYX extends the mix to my area but not so much as to hurt the accum much - map has S.Franklin just to the good side of the 10-14"/14-18" line.  They also caution that upcoming runs have a good chance of showing further warming. 

Archived