Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be great to end the season with a bang up here, especially for you NW guys.  Let's get a storm in here next week and then bring on spring.

If by “spring” you mean lots of big spring snowstorms, then that would be welcomed.  We still need almost 60” of snow here in the valley to even get to an average season in terms of snowfall, and the local mountains need in the range of 150”.  It would really take one heck of a storm to do that all in one shot, so I think the only chance we’ve got of getting toward something average would be a number of decent events over the next couple of months.

Holy crap. Hopefully below zero at the lake tonight.

LCI has been racking up some pretty cold nights (for their standards) with the lake frozen. You're right on the water so I'd imagine you drop off a cliff tonight.

Pretty sweet snowpack here.

The Center Sandwich cocorahs observer had 26" this AM. Still 21" here.

BTV broke 60" of snow with most recent dusting, but the negative departure is ticking up (-3.7" as of the latest climo report). Hopefully the 13th event works out.

It's working out to be a fairly average snowfall year in the Champlain Valley, but still quite an odd year in several respects.  The freezing rain the weekend before Christmas turned the snow into an icepack, which in many places allowed it to survive nine straigh days of +10 to +20 degree departures in January.  Then there's lack of large events, with there being only two 6"+ snowfalls the entire winter.  Lastly, there's been a remarkable number of double digit departure days, 22 on the plus side and 35 on the negative side.  Overall, much better than the past two winters in the Champlain Valley, but still a remarkably odd year.

LCI has been racking up some pretty cold nights (for their standards) with the lake frozen. You're right on the water so I'd imagine you drop off a cliff tonight.The Center Sandwich cocorahs observer had 26" this AM. Still 21" here.

I'd say close to 2' or so as well in protected areas. Probably 21-24" protected, but I haven't really scoped it out. Defintely a lot of snow.

BTW, I chucked a few over at Walmart for you.

I'd say close to 2' or so as well in protected areas. Probably 21-24" protected, but I haven't really scoped it out. Defintely a lot of snow.

BTW, I chucked a few over at Walmart for you.

They finally got the food in there about a month ago.

We'll have to meet up one of these times. Things have been a little hectic.

Pretty sweet snowpack here.

I can imagine. I'll be up in Andover Sunday tapping maple trees I'll take a weenie pack measurement.

You should venture out onto the lake and find someone drilling holes. I'm curious how much ice. I've heard its pushing 3' on some lakes up there.

They finally got the food in there about a month ago.

We'll have to meet up one of these times. Things have been a little hectic.

It's Defintely not easy for us either without a babysitter lol. I'd love to grab a few beers with you guys. I'm sure the girls would get along too. Maybe when it warms up.

Man today is going to be a winner... suns already shinning at the top of the mountain, haha. 

Every spring I realize how much I missed the sun and longer days.  In December and January its still dark out at like 7:30am... now when I leave my house at 5:15am its already getting light out.

This is a shot from around 5:20am this morning...better enjoy getting to work with the sun coming up for one more day before we lose that hour again.

Thanks to all for your advice on the area for my visit there last weekend. Completely fell in love with Vermont. We stayed in Burlington (in the Hotel Vermont which was a fantastic hotel). The sights across the frozen Lake Champlain were great. Drove around on Saturday to see the areas around Burlington, loved Warren,, was stunned at the beauty of the drive out 100 through the Green Mountain National Forest. Went up to Trapp Lodge on Sunday and went snowshoeing. 

Absolutely perfect weekend (including the fresh snow Sunday morning). 

Hoping to come back with the whole family this summer.

And, in a perfect world, when my youngest clears HS in six years, would love to find a way to re-located up to the state the empty nest into retirement years. Jealous of all who live up there now. 

it's pretty cool. It looks like a hazy shallow fog from a distance and then you're driving through tiny glistening ice crystals with the sun shining.

See that from the mountain all the time when looking into the valleys...you've got the like really clear skies above the inversion and then almost milky skies below that where the crystals are.

Temps are flying up at the top of the mountain... its now +20F at 3,600ft and -9F at MVL at 750ft.  Nearly 30 degree difference now.

BTV noted the differences in the AFD...good luck trying to forecast this in the grids, with 25-40 degree differences in the mountain zones between upper elevations and lower elevations:

WIDELY VARIABLE TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE AREA
THIS MORNING...NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CAPTURE FROM AVBL MODEL
DATASETS AS RADIATIONAL EFFECTS AND STRONG SUBSIDENT INVERSION/PBL
LOW LEVEL MIXING TO VARYING DEGREES ALL PLAY HAVOC ON
PREDICTABILITY. CASE IN POINT IS LAKE PLACID AT -17F AND WHITEFACE
SUMMIT SOME 3 KFT HIGHER AT +19F HIGHIGHTING THE GOOFINESS THIS
MORNING.

Thanks to all for your advice on the area for my visit there last weekend. Completely fell in love with Vermont. We stayed in Burlington (in the Hotel Vermont which was a fantastic hotel). The sights across the frozen Lake Champlain were great. Drove around on Saturday to see the areas around Burlington, loved Warren,, was stunned at the beauty of the drive out 100 through the Green Mountain National Forest. Went up to Trapp Lodge on Sunday and went snowshoeing. 

Absolutely perfect weekend (including the fresh snow Sunday morning). 

Hoping to come back with the whole family this summer.

And, in a perfect world, when my youngest clears HS in six years, would love to find a way to re-located up to the state the empty nest into retirement years. Jealous of all who live up there now.

Even nicer in the summer/fall.

Interesting

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

846 AM EST FRI MAR 7 2014

...COLD END TO FEBRUARY AND START TO MARCH AT CARIBOU...

THIS MORNING MARCH 7TH WAS THE 11TH DAY IN A ROW WITH A LOW

TEMPERATURE BELOW ZERO AT CARIBOU. THIS IS BY FAR THE LONGEST

STRETCH OF SUB-ZERO NIGHTS AT CARIBOU SO LATE IN THE WINTER

SEASON. BACK IN LATE FEBRUARY AND EARLY MARCH 1980 THERE WAS A

STRETCH OF 7 NIGHTS WITH A LOW BELOW ZERO. THE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR

THE MOST CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS WITH A LOW BELOW ZERO WAS 20...WHICH

WAS SET BACK IN JANUARY AND FEBRUARY 1961.

SO FAR THIS WINTER THERE HAVE BEEN A TOTAL OF 48 NIGHTS WITH A LOW

TEMPERATURE BELOW ZERO. THIS IS THE MOST SINCE THE WINTER OF

2002-2003 WHEN THERE WAS A TOTAL OF 56 SUCH NIGHTS. ON

AVERAGE (1981-2010 NORMALS)...THERE ARE 38 NIGHTS WITH A LOW

TEMPERATURE BELOW ZERO AT CARIBOU EACH WINTER.

SO FAR THIS MARCH (THROUGH YESTERDAY MARCH 6TH)...THE AVERAGE

TEMPERATURE WAS 1.7 DEGREES...WHICH WAS 17.8 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL.

THIS IS THE COLDEST START TO THE MONTH OF MARCH ON RECORD AT

CARIBOU.

GOING BACK TO FEBRUARY 25TH...THE 10 DAY STRETCH FROM FEBRUARY

25TH THROUGH MARCH 6TH WAS ALSO THE COLDEST ON RECORD AT CARIBOU.

NOUS41 KCAR 071322

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-080121-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

821 AM EST FRI MAR 7 2014

...LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS THIS MORNING...

LOCATION TEMP TIME/DATE

BIG BLACK RIVER (774 FT) -23 0430 AM 03/07

VAN BUREN (458 FT) -20 0730 AM 03/07

LILLE (459 FT) -19 0700 AM 03/07

DICKEY (943 FT) -19 0600 AM 03/07

NINE-MILE BRIDGE (1037 FT) -19 0600 AM 03/07

KOKADJO - MCOOP (1212 FT) -18 0445 AM 03/07

1 SW FORT KENT (658 FT) -17 0503 AM 03/07

PRESQUE ISLE AIRPORT -17 0415 AM 03/07

OXBOW - MCOOP (610 FT) -17 0445 AM 03/07

1 SSE FORT KENT (531 FT) -16 0542 AM 03/07

FOX BROOK (880 FT) -16 0230 AM 03/07