• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

Solid 26" on my lawn, with 8.02" SWE. Would take some days in the 60s to get rid of this prior to mid April. About -16 when I left the house at 6:45. Ten days now without measurable precip not including today, might make it past 2 weeks.

Yeah that's probably pretty solid, haha.

I was out doing my snow survey yesterday for the bi-weekly NWS surveys, and found 1,500ft here at the office to have 28-32" of snow depth, averaging around 7" of water. 

Up at 3,000ft, I was finding 53" with 12.75" of water...slightly below normal snowpack, but I guess if this is below normal then we can live with it, haha.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's probably pretty solid, haha.

I was out doing my snow survey yesterday for the bi-weekly NWS surveys, and found 1,500ft here at the office to have 28-32" of snow depth, averaging around 7" of water. 

Up at 3,000ft, I was finding 53" with 12.75" of water...slightly below normal snowpack, but I guess if this is below normal then we can live with it, haha.

Those land pretty close to the 4:1 ratio I've often seen for long-term settled snowpack without major thaws or ice layers involved. Mine is denser mainly because the pre-Christmas ice-sleet, fully soaked by Jan RA, had 1.4" water in a 2" layer that required knifework to sample. Take that away and I'd have 24" with 6.6" water, still a bit under 4:1 but VD ended with 3" of snow with a sleet-like 3.5 ratio.

Over the past hour or so, the clouds have been dropping on the mountains and it looks like snow is starting to fall in association with tonight’s system.  The radar is still displaying in the sensitive mode, but you can see the precipitation beginning to stream through the area:

04MAR14A.gif

15 below zero mornings at BOYD this winter...and with the amount of lows of 0-3 this winter that would lead me to believe 25 below zero mornings at the airport down the street...easily. Pretty impressive. Especially this stretch of his/lows in JAN. Fell JUST short of having a high temperature below zero. Last column is average hi/low. 

13.8 -2.6 29 8   19.4 -1.8 29 8   7.6 -2.2 28 7   2 -5.6 28 7   17.2 -10 28 7   31.6 -0.2 28 7  

This will make Eyewall feel all warm and fuzzy inside, haha.  His new location along with his old spot in the Carolina's are the only below normal climate spots along the entire east coast for snowfall right now.

Central Park vs BTV.  Wow.  And it's not that BTV is off that much, it's that everybody else is at 150-250% of average to date.  It's overdue here.

Central Park vs BTV. Wow. And it's not that BTV is off that much, it's that everybody else is at 150-250% of average to date. It's overdue here.

Yeah...folks keep saying that BTV is near average, which is true...but comparably speaking to 99% of the US east of the Mississippi this has probably been the minimum relative to average. We wouldn't even notice if everyone was in the same boat near normal. I also think the bitterness is that the snowfall total is average but it's been from adding up a lot of fringe jobs and nickel and dime stuff.

I love tracking storms in my backyard so seeing all the storm threats out there makes it harder...PHL has had like 7 warning events to BTV's 2. There haven't been many times this winter where I'm waking up at 2am to check the new EURO or actually caring about any model runs. Valentines Day was the only system to really have that excitement of being "in the game" and in the chase.

But we'll get 'em next winter...I'd still rather live up here in a snowless winter than NYC in an epic winter, lol.

I'm still feeling though that we've got a big one coming. I feel this may be one of those years we moan about and then get a historic 3 footer in April or something, haha.

My soon to be 10 year old son and I took advantage of a beautiful winter day to take a 100 mile snowmobile ride through east central VT.  Excuse the crappy quality of the IPhone pics.

This first one is somewhere between 1800' and 2000' in Washington, VT looking west.  You can see PF's hood and Camel's Hump in the distance.

post-363-0-71555000-1393975728_thumb.jpg

This one is taken from an overlook in Groton, VT looking east towards the Whites.  I believe we are looking over Allenson's hood at Mt. Moosilauke.

post-363-0-92919400-1393976978_thumb.jpg

Part II

These two were taken at an intersection in Orange.  You can see that the trash can in the bottom left is still showing some above the snow.  I'd say that in most years the can lid would be even to slightly below snow level. The second one is for Cold Front and jzingkra.  These were the "roughest" trails we encountered all day.

post-363-0-64062100-1393976429_thumb.jpg

post-363-0-21597200-1393976465_thumb.jpg

Is it me or did the bottom just fall out re: max temps for next Tues-Wed on NWS?? I'm back up there with my daughter for her lessons and I don't think we've had a day over 20 so far this winter...I was really looking forward to March lol...not anymore..

The pattern of late is for forecasts to turn colder as they become closer in time, haha.  

Maybe its something where long range forecasts are getting skewed a bit more towards climo (cause who is going to forecast -20 departures all the time?) and then as these cold shots continue showing up, the temps slowly drop in the forecasts.

Btv averages less than Newark, nj. Weird. I have almost as much otg at home in the lower Hudson valley as up the mrv. That is anomalous. Does me no good down here though. And I'm running low on firewood.

I'm looking forward to a cold snowy wintery march. I think I recall last year lamenting about the warmth in March. Spring can wait till April or even may.

Btv averages less than Newark, nj. Weird. I have almost as much otg at home in the lower Hudson valley as up the mrv. That is anomalous. Does me no good down here though. And I'm running low on firewood.

I'm looking forward to a cold snowy wintery march. I think I recall last year lamenting about the warmth in March. Spring can wait till April or even may.

BTV doesn't average less than Newark ;)

And last year? Maybe you were thinking of 2012 heat wave? Last year turned pretty snowy in March, especially late in the month with a 10-20" system around the 20th I think.

Part II

These two were taken at an intersection in Orange.  You can see that the trash can in the bottom left is still showing some above the snow.  I'd say that in most years the can lid would be even to slightly below snow level. The second one is for Cold Front and jzingkra.  These were the "roughest" trails we encountered all day.

attachicon.gifCarter's Concert 019.JPG

attachicon.gifCarter's Concert 022.JPG

Nice, Have to start them early, Looks like you had a great day out on the trails, Lol, Looks pretty freshly groomed in that pic

BTV doesn't average less than Newark ;)

And last year? Maybe you were thinking of 2012 heat wave? Last year turned pretty snowy in March, especially late in the month with a 10-20" system around the 20th I think.

Haha, Guess I should've looked at the chart a little more carefully. And you're probably right about last season, I just feel that the winters lately have been ending too early for my liking. But I don't recall a big storm last march.

Part II

These two were taken at an intersection in Orange. You can see that the trash can in the bottom left is still showing some above the snow. I'd say that in most years the can lid would be even to slightly below snow level. The second one is for Cold Front and jzingkra. These were the "roughest" trails we encountered all day.

attachicon.gifCarter's Concert 019.JPG

attachicon.gifCarter's Concert 022.JPG

Looks like a good ride.

Haha, Guess I should've looked at the chart a little more carefully. And you're probably right about last season, I just feel that the winters lately have been ending too early for my liking. But I don't recall a big storm last march.

Yeah there was one period at the end of the month that was pretty good.

From J.Spin's website:

http://jandeproductions.com/2013/19MAR13weather.html

20MAR13C.jpg

And then there was some upslope after the synoptic storm through the 26th.  I remember it as a solid powder week.

Also from J.spin's site as of March 24th last year.

"There’s been an additional several inches of snow at the resorts in the past 24-hours; 24-hr and 7-day totals are below listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 5”/51”

Burke: 1”/20”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”/29”

Stowe: 4”/32”

Bolton Valley: 5”/32”

Pico: 3”/27”

Killington: 3”/27”

Bromley: 0”/23”

Stratton: 0”/21”

Mount Snow: 0”/24”

And J.Spin...dude your website has the the most comprehensive snow and skiing data out there.  Its awesome to just recall and event, go to your site, and find the event with associated radar pictures, observations, comments, and ski area snowfall data.  Thanks for putting all that stuff together, its a great historical record.

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.03” L.E.

The snow eventually picked up last night to produce 0.6” on the board this morning.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 12.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

The next opportunities for snow in the area appear to be in the weekend timeframe.

From J.Spin's website:

http://jandeproductions.com/2013/19MAR13weather.html

20MAR13C.jpg

And then there was some upslope after the synoptic storm through the 26th.  I remember it as a solid powder week.

Also from J.spin's site as of March 24th last year.

"There’s been an additional several inches of snow at the resorts in the past 24-hours; 24-hr and 7-day totals are below listed north to south:

Jay Peak: 5”/51”

Burke: 1”/20”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”/29”

Stowe: 4”/32”

Bolton Valley: 5”/32”

Pico: 3”/27”

Killington: 3”/27”

Bromley: 0”/23”

Stratton: 0”/21”

Mount Snow: 0”/24”

And J.Spin...dude your website has the the most comprehensive snow and skiing data out there.  Its awesome to just recall and event, go to your site, and find the event with associated radar pictures, observations, comments, and ski area snowfall data.  Thanks for putting all that stuff together, its a great historical record.

Now I recall, we went up to jay the last weekend of the month.

Just over 1/2" new mood snow at home. 12.7°F

Looks like about 0.3-0.5" here as well from the overnight. The signal has been there in the models to try to get something going around the 15th time frame but we shall see.

Looks like about 0.3-0.5" here as well from the overnight. The signal has been there in the models to try to get something going around the 15th time frame but we shall see.

I'm watching that time period too. But so far out. Just have to wait and see I guess. Would be nice to get a grand finale for this winter.

And you're probably right about last season, I just feel that the winters lately have been ending too early for my liking. But I don't recall a big storm last march.

Indeed, Stowe called it exactly that:

19MAR13E.jpg

As I was looking through that storm report, I noted the following comment I made:

Excellent – nice to see March making up for lost time earlier in the season – almost up to 90% of average snowfall here with the help of this latest storm.

We’re currently at 76% of average snowfall, and a bit behind where we were at this point last season (112.3” vs. 103.4”), so indeed it would take something in the two-foot range to really do some catching up, so we’ll just have to see what the rest of the month brings.

Actually, I was going to respond about that March thoughts, but PF took care of it.  Really, two out of the past three Marches have been fine as we talked about in our discussion here in the thread on Feb 23rd:

23FEB14A.jpg

Actually, for details on any month in the past few seasons, there are a couple of options from our website.   I create a winter weather summary, with a short piece of text on each month.  Here’s the March text from the 2012-2013 Waterbury Winter Weather Summary:

MarchIcon.jpg

Snowfall:  30.8” – Although certainly not approaching what we saw in the second half of December, the last part of the winter/snowfall season was the other relatively bright spot to mention.  This was aided by our largest storm of the season, which delivered 21.3” during the last third of the month.  That storm was the only real standout for the month however.  It did bring March above average in terms of snowfall, but only by roughly six inches, and the resulting monthly total really ranks in the middle of the pack for Marches in my records.  The fact that the snowpack in the area around our snow measurement stake at the house was barely hanging on around mid month was certainly disconcerting, but the snowpack did recover somewhat with the help of a modest mid-month storm, that big storm at the end of the month, and reasonably cool temperatures.

I also cover each month in a ski-focused summary as well.  Here’s the March text from the 2012-2013 Ski Season Summary:

19MAR13Gsmall.jpg

March:   The first half of March wasn’t especially snowy, with just one notable storm in the ½ to 1-foot range for the mountains; the big storm that affected southern parts of New England with up to 30 inches of snow in the March 5th-8th period was literally a non-event in Northern New England.  Of course even with some warmer temperatures in the second week, decent powder remained in the higher elevations, and soft snow made for fun turns on piste.  Around mid month though, the skiing started to get even better as the snowfall picked back up with back to back modest storms and 72-hour snow totals topping out around 16 inches on the 16th.  Thanks to the ability of the Central and Northern Greens to reel in snow, conditions moved well beyond the dust on crust that many areas to the south were likely encountering. That was the start of an excellent stretch of winter that was second only to the snowy December period, with our largest valley storm of the season arriving on March 19th and delivering 7-day snow totals of 2 to 4 feet in the mountains.  At Stowe they were calling it “Powder Week” and the deep turns just kept on coming.  The increase in mountain snowpack during the period was notable in that it finally moved solidly above average and stayed there Simply put, even lift-served powder skiing was endemic on piste during that second half of March until a brief warm-up during the last couple of days of the month.

You can find all the summaries if you click on “Summary” in the categories list on our website:

http://jandeproductions.com/category/summary/

Excellent!  I love seeing all the off-season work being put to good use; these are just the kinds of conversations for which I envision them being useful.

Spring cancel

000NOUS41 KCAR 051234PNSCARMEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029-030>032-060033-PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME733 AM EST WED MAR 5 2014...LATEST LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS...LOCATION                       TEMP      TIME/DATE       LAT/LONVAN BUREN                      -29       0730 AM 03/05   47.17N/67.94WLILLE                          -29       0700 AM 03/05   47.28N/68.11WBIG BLACK RIVER                -29       0600 AM 03/05   46.89N/69.75WDICKEY                         -28       0700 AM 03/05   47.11N/69.09W1 SW FORT KENT                 -27       0603 AM 03/05   47.24N/68.61W1 SSE FORT KENT                -26       0602 AM 03/05   47.25N/68.58WMADAWASKA                      -25       0554 AM 03/05   47.35N/68.33WNINE-MILE BRIDGE               -25       0600 AM 03/05   46.70N/69.72W5 SE GRAND ISLE                -25       0601 AM 03/05   47.24N/68.10WFOX BROOK                      -24       0600 AM 03/05   46.81N/68.84WEAGLE LAKE                     -23       0630 AM 03/05   47.04N/68.57W2 W SAINT AGATHA               -23       0630 AM 03/05   47.25N/68.35W4 ENE BAKER LAKE               -21       0615 AM 03/05   46.30N/69.85W4 E NEW SWEDEN                 -20       0634 AM 03/05   46.96N/68.03W

Archived