Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.06” L.E.

I found some really gorgeous snowfall out there this morning, definitely in the Champlain Powder™ realm at 3.2% H2O.  Light snow continues to fall with another couple of tenths down.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 31.7

Snow Density: 3.2% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

Anyway, this marks the last in the series of storms that were anticipated to affect the area over the past week.  Although on the minor side, each one delivered, for a total of 5.5”+ of snow during the period. 

The mountains received more than the valley as one would expect, in the typical range of twice the amount that fell down here on the valley floor.  For those resorts that provide them, the north to south listing of weekly totals for the Vermont ski areas are added below.  The list is relatively short between resorts that either don’t report weekly totals or reset their weekly counts today.  Some of these values will be increasing today since it’s still snowing and some reports will be updated:

Jay Peak: 10”

Smuggler’s Notch: 14”

Stowe: 13”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 4”

Interesting that your met winter was your second coldest of 16... it really was nothing spectacular at the long-term BTV climo spot with an average of -1.3F for MET winter.

Though we had some brutal cold at the new year, the key to this winter's temps has been consistent cold, abetted by a prime CAD location to modify the torches. Until the 20th of last month, I hadn't reached 40 since a week prior to Thanksgiving, even when BGR and CAR touched 50. My DJF departures have been -6.2/-2.9/-3.9. For 02-03 they were -1.5/-5.8/-5.9 (and MAR was -4.2.) Last time I had a daily mean above 35 was 11/19.

yes we were beat. Only 160 today.easy miles.

if you are in the right place, that many miles is tolerable. tough, but doable. for many that is a full season riding. my daily max is around 275, that was a long day. can't imagine doing another 100 on top of that, as i was spent that day.

Why are you still in Barre and not up at one of the ski areas that pulled 3-6" last night?

Im good for now. I skied a bunch last nite @ bolton and will be skiing tommorrow. Ya today is better but i let the gf sleep and were doing lunch and stuff. Still decent dentrite's here but more flurry like

Though we had some brutal cold at the new year, the key to this winter's temps has been consistent cold, abetted by a prime CAD location to modify the torches. Until the 20th of last month, I hadn't reached 40 since a week prior to Thanksgiving, even when BGR and CAR touched 50. My DJF departures have been -6.2/-2.9/-3.9. For 02-03 they were -1.5/-5.8/-5.9 (and MAR was -4.2.) Last time I had a daily mean above 35 was 11/19.

BTV seems to be by far the warmest departure in the region. All the coops I looked at seemed to be in the -2 to -3 range up there vs the 1981-2010 average.

BTV seems to be by far the warmest departure in the region. All the coops I looked at seemed to be in the -2 to -3 range up there vs the 1981-2010 average.

You know what I was thinking about yesterday is that BTV does really warm departures during torches or rain events.  With the exception of the significant ice event in December that drilled cold air down the CPV (actually making BTV the coldest place in NNE), all other mixed events seemed to follow a more traditional CAD pattern.  Maybe the 5 rainstorms this winter played a big role in keeping eastern New England colder, as those warm-ups almost went over the top of NH/ME and eastern VT.  Like BTV sitting 46F, while its 36-39F at MPV/MVL, but yet 32-36F Dendrite/Lewiston/Tamarack. 

I bet BTV had much larger departures during the warm-ups, is pretty much what I'm getting at, and I wonder if that plays a role in the seasonal departures as we had some decent like 2-4 day stretches at times of warmer weather prior to going back into the freezer.

Last night's climate map of snowfall reports prior to 7am this morning... shows the terrain enhancement with the snow last night. These are the events we have had a lack of this season...the nickle and dime mountain stuff that comes out as 2-5" of snowfall, with more like 2-3" in the villages and 3-6" above 1,500ft. 

Some winters are filled with days and days of this type of light snowfall.

You know what I was thinking about yesterday is that BTV does really warm departures during torches or rain events.  With the exception of the significant ice event in December that drilled cold air down the CPV (actually making BTV the coldest place in NNE), all other mixed events seemed to follow a more traditional CAD pattern.  Maybe the 5 rainstorms this winter played a big role in keeping eastern New England colder, as those warm-ups almost went over the top of NH/ME and eastern VT.  Like BTV sitting 46F, while its 36-39F at MPV/MVL, but yet 32-36F Dendrite/Lewiston/Tamarack. 

I bet BTV had much larger departures during the warm-ups, is pretty much what I'm getting at, and I wonder if that plays a role in the seasonal departures as we had some decent like 2-4 day stretches at times of warmer weather prior to going back into the freezer.

I'm also wondering if BTV is losing their ability to radiate...even just a bit of development or land change near the airport could affect them. But perhaps its just a lack of good radiating conditions for them in the past 7-8 years which has made them warmer for departures relative to the surrounding coop stations. It is something that would probably have to be investigated deeper by looking at average low temp departures and where the highest ones have happened.

I'm also wondering if BTV is losing their ability to radiate...even just a bit of development or land change near the airport could affect them. But perhaps its just a lack of good radiating conditions for them in the past 7-8 years which has made them warmer for departures relative to the surrounding coop stations. It is something that would probably have to be investigated deeper by looking at average low temp departures and where the highest ones have happened.

That is an excellent question, but I do feel in large part it has to do with those brief warm ups. If we get south winds and WAA we can overshoot forecast high temps (and I noticed that happened a lot in those scenarios). I think that has more to do with it than anything else, and as previously mentioned CAD can hang on much better outside the CPV (except in rare cases like our ice storm).

if you are in the right place, that many miles is tolerable. tough, but doable. for many that is a full season riding. my daily max is around 275, that was a long day. can't imagine doing another 100 on top of that, as i was spent that day.

Where he was you can do those miles pretty easy as it is pretty flat and fast if you get an early start, On the Eastern side of Aroostook county, The trails are 3 lanes wide up there, When i make a trip their we do 250 miles/day so you can rack up 1,000 miles on a 4 day weekend quite easily, If you run the St johns rail bed from Madawaska to Fort Fairfield, (ITS 81) You pretty much have the flipper to the bar the whole run

Where he was you can do those miles pretty easy as it is pretty flat and fast if you get an early start, On the Eastern side of Aroostook county, The trails are 3 lanes wide up there, When i make a trip their we do 250 miles/day so you can rack up 1,000 miles on a 4 day weekend quite easily, If you run the St johns rail bed from Madawaska to Fort Fairfield, (ITS 81) You pretty much have the flipper to the bar the whole run

Once you get west of Route 11, the terrain becomes a bit more interesting (and the groomed trails more widely spaced.)

About -8 this morning. Might make another run at -20 tonight; Saturday got within 2F of that mark. However, that was cold enough to extinguish my odd-year/even-year statistical fluke. For the 12 years 2000-2011, odd year Marches had month lows avg -21.5. For even years, the avg was -1.8.

Edit: Thought I'd add the Feb numbers:

Avg temp 13.9, -3.9 from avg.

High was 44 on 23rd, low was -19 on 18th

Precip: 3.19", 0.23" above avg

Snow: 30.9", 8.7" above avg (and precisely the same as last Dec.)

Snow water equiv (measured 3/1): 8.02" - Pretty solid 26" snowpack

americanwx NNE GTG? sounds good to me!

We blasted up to St agatha yesterday for some breakfast at Lakeview. RR bed was flat and fast. Ended with 140 miles by lunchtime. Total trip was 700 over 3 days. I don't think I ever want to try and surpass the 396mi in one day feat again. Plenty of snow up there though.

We blasted up to St agatha yesterday for some breakfast at Lakeview. RR bed was flat and fast. Ended with 140 miles by lunchtime. Total trip was 700 over 3 days. I don't think I ever want to try and surpass the 396mi in one day feat again. Plenty of snow up there though.

Did you hit the sporting club at all? The food there is awesome, We would do lakeview for lunch, And the sporting club for dinner, 396 mi, That is a little to much, 250/day is a real good pace

Once you get west of Route 11, the terrain becomes a bit more interesting (and the groomed trails more widely spaced.)

About -8 this morning. Might make another run at -20 tonight; Saturday got within 2F of that mark. However, that was cold enough to extinguish my odd-year/even-year statistical fluke. For the 12 years 2000-2011, odd year Marches had month lows avg -21.5. For even years, the avg was -1.8.

Edit: Thought I'd add the Feb numbers:

Avg temp 13.9, -3.9 from avg.

High was 44 on 23rd, low was -19 on 18th

Precip: 3.19", 0.23" above avg

Snow: 30.9", 8.7" above avg (and precisely the same as last Dec.)

Snow water equiv (measured 3/1): 8.02" - Pretty solid 26" snowpack

We usually stayed in Ashland,  And did a west loop one day, Rode the Portage to Fort Kent, A little more Wood, Lakes and Hilly terrain, Then did the PI to border cut trail to Madawaska the next

Archived