• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

See this post I made yesterday... relatively a lot of avalanche activity in this area:  http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40780-the-2013-2014-ski-season-thread/?p=2804391

This one in Smugglers Notch ran from the cliffs almost down to RT 108.  The photo doesn't do the steepness justice.

Regarding the storm snow... without a doubt the areas south of here got more, and likely more up near the Canadian border too.  We must've just been between bands or something, but the MPV and Sugarbush latitude got smoked.  They had the QPF and snow growth.

I will admit I'm surprised the west slope of Mansfield has more snowpack, as they almost melted out completely during the last couple of January rain storms.  There were days in January where the Underhill web cam on BTV's cam page was showing only very patchy snow cover, when even here in the valley on the east side we had full cover.  I think I remember Nittany posting that one a couple times to show the lack of snow when we were all hanging from the rafters... so the western slope must've caught up nicely since then.

Wow.  Wasn't watching the board yesterday and didn't see the warning.  We joked a bit about it today as the terrain we were on wasn't too intense and had lots of anchors- but something to keep in mind as always.

As for the west vs east Mansfield snowpack, it was more my particular treks that served for the snowpack/coverage obs. We were on the west side of the spine, but a NW/NNW exposure.  Also, my eastern trek was more limited in areal observations and not quite as high up- this was "around" Mansfield, not the actual massif itself (should've noted that). I haven't been over to Smuggs or Stowe in over a week (save for pizza and libations).

I wouldn't hold my observations as representative of what's out there- there's just one place I liked the skier more so than the others in recent days

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow 3.5k up there. Deep deep pack,wow! Take that mansfield. Real Man Snow as scooter would say

And i would bet powderfreak that...that area at elevation (2.5k+) has a bunch of surprsing (lets wake up and see if we got 10") snows

Haha, we were at 59" at 3,700ft yesterday...so looks like they are close over there. Real man snow ;)

Oh I'm sure they do too...they are in the upslope belt.

Made my annual snowmobiling trip up to Pittsburg, NH this past weekend. It was an awesome 3 days I couldn't have asked for better conditions. It snowed 16" Thurs-Fri and 5" last night. When I left this morning the snowpack was 32-33" at the First CT Lake. The snowmobile club did an awesome job packing down the trails after all that snow.

View from Diamond Ridge looking Southwest at Magalloway Mountain.

attachicon.gifP1030026.JPG

Diamond ridge looking west at the First CT lake.

attachicon.gifP1030032.JPG

Stubb Hill Pond ~3500ft. There were 15-20ft drifts up there. I did my best to find a protected spot in the woods and came up 56" in two different spots. This was before the additional snow last night.

attachicon.gifP1030035.JPG

attachicon.gifP1030051.JPG

Ride down

attachicon.gifP1030060.JPG

View from the cabin sunday morning. Looking east across the First CT lake at Magalloway Mountain.

attachicon.gifIMG_0198.JPG

Gorgeous. Maybe I need to take a day trip up there when we go do snow surveys in the next couple of months.

Haha, we were at 59" at 3,700ft yesterday...so looks like they are close over there. Real man snow ;)

Oh I'm sure they do too...they are in the upslope belt.

They get alot of upslope for sure. The last 14" or so that fell at the cabin was pure fluff. I checked johns nh site this morning and he lost 3" from compaction since yesterday. I'm sure it was above 20:1 stuff.

Yeah, not sure I can always go to the same place and eat pub food every time I want to eat out..lol..but it looks beautiful there.

Hey there's 4 or 5 restaurants to choose from lol. Winter is definitely the busy season it was mobbed. Its little more touristy than alot of northern NH so there's nice accommodations, but yet its a 5 minute ride to hundreds of miles of snowmobile trails where you'll never see a paved road.

I am not looking forward to the cutter this Friday and rain, but I suppose it is necessary to reload the cold, which seems to be progged to return next week. I know even March can be quite snowy in this region (unlike NC where it is just about over by that point). I am hoping we get at least 1 or 2 more solid warning events this season.

I am not looking forward to the cutter this Friday and rain, but I suppose it is necessary to reload the cold, which seems to be progged to return next week. I know even March can be quite snowy in this region (unlike NC where it is just about over by that point). I am hoping we get at least 1 or 2 more solid warning events this season.

eyewall, March is a definite winter month up here in NNE.  It maybe 50F and sunny one day and snowy the next.  Even the first 10 days of April can be quite wintry.  Leaf out is not until May.  April can be frustrating as its a spring month further south and by then Im done with winter but still have to wait.

eyewall, even April can but quite snowy, especially the first 10 days or so.

Yeah it really can. We got like 6 feet in April 2007 at the ski area...though I will be honest, he may have to travel out of the Champlain Valley in some April events. And for whatever reason April can get some big upslope events. Like April 2010 and April 2012 both had upslope storms exceeding 2 feet.

Yeah it really can. We got like 6 feet in April 2007 at the ski area...though I will be honest, he may have to travel out of the Champlain Valley in some April events. And for whatever reason April can get some big upslope events. Like April 2010 and April 2012 both had upslope storms exceeding 2 feet.

Yeah I figured in April the CPV is pretty much out for anything decent but I don't mind a 30 minute drive then to catch some late snow. Before we get there though lets get a couple of more region wide warning events :).

I’ve added the latest advisory and projected snowfall accumulations maps from the BTV NWS below.  Winter Weather Advisories cover the southern half of Vermont, with Winter Storm Warnings visible farther off to the southeast in New Hampshire.

18FEB14A.jpg

18FEB14B.jpg

We’re one county north of the advisories here, and the NWS point forecast calls for 2-4” today, with the potential for a couple more or so through tomorrow night.

In terms of seasonal snowfall data, I decided to check where things stand ahead of this next event, and I was very surprised to see that while snowfall is still roughly 18” below average, and 40”-60” behind the strong seasons like 2007-2008, 2008-2009, and 2010-2011, it is now actually running ahead of 2006-2007 (90.0”), 2009-2010 (86.3”), and 2011-2012 (74.9”), and only trailing last season (95.4”) by a few inches.  Now that I’ve looked at the data, I’ve suddenly seen how bimodal it is in this date range, with a cluster of low seasons in the 75”-95” range, and a cluster of high seasons in the 135”-155” range, but nothing around the mean of ~110”.

This February’s snowfall has definitely helped on the season though; at 31.3” so far, it is running ahead of average February pace, and it’s already been the snowiest month of the season so far by a good margin.

Archived