Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well just post our obs in this thread... 

Been a decent steady light snow, with 1.2" of wet cake so far as of 7pm.  I had 0.5" at 5:30pm, so almost a half inch per hour recently.  Its the type of snow that sticks to all the trees, would look nice if we can manage a couple inches tonight.

Feb_1_snow.gif

A lot of nervous nellies

You know you are a little bit too ;)

For me its just the seasonal trend...its just one of those Murphy's Laws winter so far in terms of snowfall, what can go wrong, will go wrong.  This hasn't inspired confidence, lets just say that.  It just would be nice to get a good thump with some QPF for the base (skiing or snowmobiling or whatever you like to do outside on snow). 

You know you are a little bit too ;)

For me its just the seasonal trend...its just one of those Murphy's Laws winter so far in terms of snowfall, what can go wrong, will go wrong.  This hasn't inspired confidence, lets just say that.  It just would be nice to get a good thump with some QPF for the base (skiing or snowmobiling or whatever you like to do outside on snow). 

I will admit today's trends don't have me all giddy like the folks down south are, But still being a few days out we will see how it pans out, I don't like seeing the primary getting sheared and squeezed ENE

Might as well just post our obs in this thread...

Been a decent steady light snow, with 1.2" of wet cake so far as of 7pm. I had 0.5" at 5:30pm, so almost a half inch per hour recently. Its the type of snow that sticks to all the trees, would look nice if we can manage a couple inches tonight.]

Seems windier than I thought it would be. Mini blizzard at times but not that cold. Maybe half an inch accumulation hard to tell though.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.10” L.E.

We were heading up to Bolton Valley today around 3:00 P.M., and the snow was just starting to fall at the house.  The temperature was in the mid 30s F, but fell below freezing as we ascended the access road.  Snow was accumulating on the road above ~2,000’, and the snowfall was much more intense up in the Village.  We left the mountain around 5:30 P.M. and I’d say they were closing in on an inch of new snow there with continued moderate snowfall.  Here at the house I started to notice some granular flakes mixing into the snowfall around 9:00 P.M., and it felt like we were transitioning into a different part of the storm, so I cleared the board and ran a liquid analysis:

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.0

Snow Density: 9.1% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Elevation dependent snowfall here in Stowe...

1.8" at 750ft at home in town...didn't bother trying to do a board clear before bed, so that's the total.

post-352-0-33087500-1391340540.jpg

By the time I went about 800ft higher up RT 108 to the Barnes Camp snow board, I found 4.2" of cement.  There was some pretty decent QPF in this I suspect.  Was just what the mountain needed.  A dense 4-5" of snow.

Your obligatory parking lot tracks to show depth.

post-352-0-98607800-1391340511.jpg

post-352-0-86928600-1391340510.jpg

BTV says almost a miss for my area:

GIVEN TRACK OF LOW OFF THE SRN NEW ENGLAND
COAST...ANTICIPATED HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL BE ACROSS
CENTRAL/S-CENTRAL VT. MODEL QPF FORECASTS RANGE FROM AROUND 0.25"
NEAR THE INTL BORDER UP TO 0.75" ACROSS SRN RUTLAND/WINDSOR
COUNTIES...WHICH APPEAR REASONABLE BASED ON PW VALUES AND SPEED OF
THE SYSTEM. IF THESE TRENDS HOLD...PROBABLY LOOKING AT A 6-10"
SNOWFALL ACROSS CENTRAL/S-CENTRAL VT WITH GENERALLY 3-6" IN THE
BTV AREA...NRN VT AND THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS. MAY SEE A BIT LESS
IN THE IMMEDIATE ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY FURTHEST REMOVED FROM
ANTICIPATED LOW TRACK. MAIN IMPACT WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL BE WITH
SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND POTENTIAL SLOW TRAVEL CONDITIONS FROM
THE PRE-DAWN HRS WEDNESDAY RIGHT THRU THE DAYLIGHT HRS. WE/LL
MENTION THIS POTENTIAL SYSTEM ONCE AGAIN IN THE MORNING HAZARDOUS
WEATHER OUTLOOK. HIGH TEMPERATURES ON WEDNESDAY ARE EXPECTED TO
BE IN THE MID-UPR 20S.

5" here, about the same at the Mt this morning maybe a bit more in the woods, silky skiing.  

pleasantly surprised I didn't blow the belt on the blower, its setting up and currently snizzling at 34F.

been a while since we have heard the sound of the sno mo's on the VAST here, feels like winter, well more like April right now, but certainly a nice refresher.

Picked up about an even 5" at the 3,000ft snow plot last night... so on the mountain our totals are 4-5" from this event, with 1.8" in town.  Elevation dependent up to say 1,300ft and then pretty even from there on up with just the little extra mountain QPF giving another inch up higher.  Its always interesting to me how the upper elevations (say 1,500ft above the base area, but like just over a half mile away by line of sight) can pick up a decent bit more liquid from any given event. 

I'd say this was 10:1 snow (its just really dense, but not wet) or around there, but with an extra inch falling 1,500ft higher up, there's probably another tenth of an inch or so of liquid tha fell up there too.  Its funny how some storms (especially fluffy or upslope fluff) will have a wider range in snowfall from top-to-bottom as that extra QPF gets multiplied by better ratios.

Anyway, skiing to the snow stake didn't suck too bad.  I hope SNE's hearts are bleeding for us 60% of normal snowfall folks  :lol:

Bolton yesterday- did the BC network and one lift run.  Backcountry coverage up top was ok- tread lightly kinda snow.  Still rocks on the runout.  The lift-served provided what was, perhaps, the single iciest trail I've ever skied- hundreds of yards of glare ice interspersed with random moguls. Looks like they sent the groomer out after one of the soakers.  

Smuggs skied surprisingly well today- much better base/coverage plus the fresh snow.  Probably 4-5", more wet down below, and just dense up top as others observed.  A little crust showed on the snow down below by afternoon (super minimal).  With the density, it skied quite nicely overall.  2 more storms like last night would probably be the ticket to getting the woods to really open up.  At least the mountains are back to looking like winter top-to-bottom.  

Archived