• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Part 3

mreaves

KLW and PF thought we should try and change our JuJu with a new NNE thread. Since KLW's thread couldn't do the trick and PF can't reach the keyboard from where is hanging by his reindeer sweater, I figured I might as well give it a shot.  We all know that the weather is highly dependant on who starts discussion threads on AMWX!  Anyway, hopefully our tears will stop flowing like melting snow and we can go back to being reviled by the SNE crew for mehing over solid two foot snowpack.  :snowing:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KLW and PF thought we should try and change our JuJu with a new NNE thread. Since KLW's thread couldn't do the trick and PF can't reach the keyboard from where is hanging by his reindeer sweater, I figured I might as well give it a shot.  We all know that the weather is highly dependant on who starts discussion threads on AMWX!  Anyway, hopefully our tears will stop flowing like melting snow and we can go back to being reviled by the SNE crew for mehing over solid two foot snowpack.  :snowing:

As a fellow snowmobile enthusiast, I will endorse you starting this thread................ :)

Can't get worse...can only get better. 

Man the skiing was awesome today for November. 

See what I did there? I'm just going to assume it's november 'cause it looks like november and feels like november. (Well not THIS november).  

I see what you did there ;)

A couple photos from today...last night's snow level was around 2,700ft, though it was too wet below 3,000ft to stick to the trees.  There's a pretty sharp white line at 3,000ft which was where the trees started accumulating snow.  About 2" fell on the upper 1,000 vertical feet of the mountain.

IMG_9363_edited-2.jpg

IMG_9366_edited-2.jpg

lol...your photography kung-fu is stronger than mine, PF :rambo:

Haha, that's just with the good lens ;)

Right before the sun went down I took a photo of the backyard here... still holding white.  Front yard is a multi-colored pond of standing water and ice.

I am pretty amazed though that the depth has not gone over 8" yet this season in the yard, and yet after 5 separate rain events, there's still some snow out there (in fact, the backyard has only lost about 6" throughout this entire two week ordeal).  So I guess that makes sense that Dendrite and those guys in NH/ME still have a good deal...if we only lost 6-8" and they had better CAD after starting with 20", it makes sense they would still be double digit.

The clippers will overproduce!

Actually, I’ve wanted to make a point along those lines, because during the recent commiseration sessions, some options did not get a lot of playing time.  There was a level of resignation about not seeing any major storms, but the Northern Greens can easily turn Clippers into 6-12” events.  They often don’t even get much mention aside from a couple of pictures and updates from PF, but he and adk will attest to how those days play out in the mountains.  The valleys may not have that same potential, but it’s always a wild card that’s out there for the slopes, and they are probably the most deficient in snowfall relative to average right now.  Fortunately, despite the recent weather strangeness, the mystical geography and topography of the Greens hasn’t changed.

Actually, I’ve wanted to make a point along those lines, because during the recent commiseration sessions, some options did not get a lot of playing time.  There was a level of resignation about not seeing any major storms, but the Northern Greens can easily turn Clippers into 6-12” events.  They often don’t even get much mention aside from a couple of pictures and updates from PF, but he and adk will attest to how those days play out in the mountains.  The valleys may not have that same potential, but it’s always a wild card that’s out there for the slopes, and they are probably the most deficient in snowfall relative to average right now.  Fortunately, despite the recent weather strangeness, the mystical geography and topography of the Greens hasn’t changed.

Very true but it would be cool if one of them came with a 0.1 Froude Number :)

I'm surprised the Mansfield co-op only came in with a trace of new snow this evening.  I would've figured with the heavy, wet nature of the 2" that fell last night (with relatively light winds) that the can would get a decent sample of the snow.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATANATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT556 PM EST WED JAN 15 2014STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWEMOUNT MANSFIELD     0.46    31  18  26                  T  22    

Just another small example of taking their snowfall data with a grain of salt.

You can see the fresh snow in this photo from this morning...

1524794_10151808402092382_1523426780_n.j

And in this one, you can see the wet nature of last night's snow by the way it pasted to the evergreens.  At least they are white again as having it be mid-January with no snow or rime on the trees at all was a sad sight.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.  Where?

Up here.  It looked active and had a good deal of snow shower and orographic assist chances.  Also after day 7, in the longer range it started retrograding the trough axis a bit westward which I think of as a positive.  And you can see by doing so, the run had some long range fantasy snows instead of everything going way too far east.

I'm not looking for big storms at this point, I think this is the wrong pattern for that.  The mountains will work in our favor for some of this though... I like the NW flow behind the clippers.  I think we can nickle and dime snow out of this.

pinging on the radar... sure enough, sleet here at Smuggs village.  ~36F.  Smuggs didn't report anything today on their website directly, but bumped their seasonal snowfall up a few inches (perhaps 2-3" up top, nada at the base).  Someone said the mountain actually skied well with the wet snow up top and the mash potatoes down below.  Smuggs also opened back up a few trails with this new paste on the upper mountain. 

Hopefully we've started to nickel/dime things back into shape- at least it's wet, sticky and will hopefully bond well.

pinging on the radar... sure enough, sleet here at Smuggs village.  ~36F.  Smuggs didn't report anything today on their website directly, but bumped their seasonal snowfall up a few inches (perhaps 3").  Someone said the mountain actually skied well with the wet snow up top and the mash potatoes down below.  Smuggs also opened back up a few trails with this new paste on the upper mountain. 

Hopefully we've started to nickel/dime things back into shape- at least it's wet, sticky and will hopefully bond well.

Yeah we have a mix here in Winooski right now. We will see what happens. It is a start.

pinging on the radar... sure enough, sleet here at Smuggs village.  ~36F.  Smuggs didn't report anything today on their website directly, but bumped their seasonal snowfall up a few inches (perhaps 2-3" up top, nada at the base).  Someone said the mountain actually skied well with the wet snow up top and the mash potatoes down below.  Smuggs also opened back up a few trails with this new paste on the upper mountain. 

The skiing was surprisingly good today.... like an March/April day... winter up high with some fresh wet snow, transitioning to almost spring corn like hero snow.  Spots in the sun were soft and you could carve trenches in it, while spots in the shade and north-facing were firm all day.  Very March/April like variability in conditions based on elevation and aspect.

Archived