• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014 CPA Lawn and Garden Thread

Well it starts with the leaves on the plant starting to get brown and wilted, usually starts from the bottom of the plant and works it's way up. Eventually the fruit starts getting little orangish black rotten spots, and its usually towards the end of summer but I've always attributed it to late blight.

In my limited experience, you're probably right. Doesn't sound like BER.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what we're planting:

Tomato Seeds (Organic) - "San Marzano"   
Tomato Seeds - "Roma VF"
Pepper (Hot) Seeds - "Ancho" or "Poblano"
Pepper (Sweet) Seeds - "California Wonder"
Pepper (Sweet) Seeds - "Orange King / Orange Bell"
Pepper (Hot) Seeds - "Jalapeno M"
Pepper (Hot) Seeds - "Cayenne Long Red Thin"
Pepper (Hot) Seeds - "Anaheim Chili"
Bean Seeds (Bush) - "Blue Lake 274"
Large Leaf Italian Basil (Organic) Seeds

CORN NORTHERN XTRA-SWEET HYBRID

SQUASH WINTER BURPEE BUTTERBUSH

I'd love to do peas again but we don't have the room to make it worthwhile.

What I'm really in need of is a *small* indoor window box that we can grow some basil in.  It needs to be cheap as well.  With a Sicilian fiancee we go through so much it isn't economical to buy the cut stalks in the grocery store.

Buy the dried stuff and use the money saved for razor blades. Those Mediterranean women go through em like they're going out of style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 10 days ago I finally got around to putting my temperate perennial seeds into half gallon milk jugs to put out in the elements. Why do that? Because many temperate perennial seeds need to have a period of stratification to break the coating they have to protect the seeds from freezing temps. Once they freeze and then thaw, they will germinate when the temps reach their liking. These are the seeds I planted, from my garden plan:

Astolat Pacific Giant Delphinium

Chaters Double Mix Hollyhock

Blue Pearl Jacobs Ladder

Flamenco Red Hot Poker

kiss me over the garden gate

Veronica

How to do this? Here's a great guide: http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/11/winter-sowing-101-6/

What counts as a garden in my yard is buried under that pile behind the dog by the wooden fence. The photo was taken on 2/13 between round one and round two, so it's about a foot to foot and half higher now. So as for gardening, I'm not even sure when I'm going to see it, let alone work it.

post-317-0-91697300-1392761455_thumb.jpg

Why so early? We're still about 12 weeks from the average last frost date.

Our cilantro is going to be kept indoors, we went to Green Leaf Plant and Rohrer's Plants on Old Philadelphia Pike in Smoketown on Friday and found these little indoor planters so Basil and Cilantro can get started.  I tell you her (fiancee's) pesto is amazing and not having it since last September has me getting the shakes for it. Our japaleno peppers for some reason take forever to germinate, roughly 14 - 20 days, and then it takes 6 weeks according to the seed packets before we can transplant outside.  Since we are going patio gardening with pots, if we get a forecast frost I can just bring them inside.  Tomato seeds in one month!

Our cilantro is going to be kept indoors, we went to Green Leaf Plant and Rohrer's Plants on Old Philadelphia Pike in Smoketown on Friday and found these little indoor planters so Basil and Cilantro can get started.  I tell you her (fiancee's) pesto is amazing and not having it since last September has me getting the shakes for it. Our japaleno peppers for some reason take forever to germinate, roughly 14 - 20 days, and then it takes 6 weeks according to the seed packets before we can transplant outside.  Since we are going patio gardening with pots, if we get a forecast frost I can just bring them inside.  Tomato seeds in one month!

I figured that was your thinking. You can grow a smaller pepper plant like jalapeno in a pot.

I love pesto. I make all sorts from regular to garlic scape to garlic mustard.

What counts as a garden in my yard is buried under that pile behind the dog by the wooden fence. The photo was taken on 2/13 between round one and round two, so it's about a foot to foot and half higher now. So as for gardening, I'm not even sure when I'm going to see it, let alone work it.

attachicon.gif20140213_4398.jpg

My consecutive streak of monthly harvest I've had going since feb 2007 is in a ton of trouble.

A 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom and a layer of gravel under the soil works great for 1 pepper plant. Cheap, too.

Yeah, my neighbor is a supervisor at Wal-Mart and gets a bunch of them that used to have cake frosting in them. It smells a bit like vanilla, lol. Only way I can grow eggplant. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any experience with deep watering? I'm trying it this year with my tomato \ pepper plants. Thus far the tomato plants seem to be fairing pretty well and seem to be thicker than usual. How that will translate into fruit remains to be seen.

What do you mean by 'deep watering'?  We have grow boxes with false bottoms that hold a reservoir of water, to which the tomato plants can root into.

Archived