• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2014-2015 Thread

Ji

If you buy into the theory that snow begets snow and places it has snowed will be repeated over the next few months, you have to be pleased in the SE and NE. I believe this winter could be a blockbuster for the SE and for our friends East of 95...the NW burbs, typically snow winners, could be on the high and dry side of things, or you could say cold and dry, compared to the coastal areas. If so, let me be on board to extend my congratulations :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy into the theory that snow begets snow and places it has snowed will be repeated over the next few months, you have to be pleased in the SE and NE. I believe this winter could be a blockbuster for the SE and for our friends East of 95...the NW burbs, typically snow winners, could be on the high and dry side of things, or you could say cold and dry, compared to the coastal areas. If so, let me be on board to extend my congratulations :)

NOAA's early winter outlook agrees with you in terms of precipitation.

Any scientific reasoning behind this? I don't see how you can predict specifics like that months in advance.

Looks like a troll job to me, no offense.

this map is looking tastier, but it will have to continue to have a huge impact in light of the very late start

navy-anom-bb.gif

Another enso baby step

anomnight.11.6.2014.gif

Starting to see some bn anomalies building n of enso and s of HI. Pretty normal in a Nino. Even though the event is still weak, the entire npac basin is looking pretty good to me. 

Nino in my dailies is as good as it has looked...

3 - 0.75, 3.4 - 0.9, 4 - 1.15

I don't know if this is some linear push or just a temporary spike.....there is still no indication we will get to moderate territory..also guessing with a lag response the super late start won't assist us with a good southern stream too early in the winter....

Any scientific reasoning behind this? I don't see how you can predict specifics like that months in advance.

Looks like a troll job to me, no offense.

The theory of "snow begets snow" is not a new concept. Some historical records support snowfalls for the season to align with areas that have already seen snow, hence the "snow begets snow" theory.

The theory of "snow begets snow" is not a new concept. Some historical records support snowfalls for the season to align with areas that have already seen snow, hence the "snow begets snow" theory.

Hmmm.  Sounds like another way of saying "atmospheric memory" to me...

Nino in my dailies is as good as it has looked...

3 - 0.75, 3.4 - 0.9, 4 - 1.15

I don't know if this is some linear push or just a temporary spike.....there is still no indication we will get to moderate territory..also guessing with a lag response the super late start won't assist us with a good southern stream too early in the winter....

It's a tough question. One thing that can work in Dec is just having the gulf open for business with an amplified pattern. Personally, I would consider Dec with 3" @ DCA a solid victory. DC can get that a lot of different ways without some big juicy system. 

If we have a decent blocking pattern in Dec then we'll likely have some chances even if they are convoluted. 

"If"... "I believe"... "could be"

Your posts are useless. Like a lamer version of the Farmer's Almanac or a newspaper horoscope.

Atmospheric memory as in you'll see a storm in November then the same storm in Jan and Feb is dumb. But there are clearly season to season trends that try to "lock in"... you see it in tropics and other areas as well.  

From Twitter today, HM and Adam ( formally am19psu on here ) were talking about the potential for early winter blocking.

"@antmasiello: Snowy, cool November for Ohio valley, lakes, Ontario, interior Northeast, mid Atlantic? #pna #forcing #pdo #holycrapwinteriscoming"

Adams response:

"@AdamPHLWx: @antmasiello Sounds like a plan... pretty hard to see a way the winter doesn't at least start blocky"

Hey, thanks for documentating this! As time went on, I got the impression that more RNA periods would occur but it seems like the "PDO-signal" is going to win out for November. Can't believe we are talking snow chances again! 

Have not heard from HM lately just curious on what his thoughts are for the upcoming winter

I don't typically share thoughts when I've got nothing new or different to offer. Hard to bet against the signals right now and I can't seem to find anything (yet) to be alarmed about (for widespread failing winter outlooks). What I do see, however, is a lot of bad information out there within the winter outlooks to explain the various factors.

Hey, thanks for documentating this! As time went on, I got the impression that more RNA periods would occur but it seems like the "PDO-signal" is going to win out for November. Can't believe we are talking snow chances again! 

I don't typically share thoughts when I've got nothing new or different to offer. Hard to bet against the signals right now and I can't seem to find anything (yet) to be alarmed about (for widespread failing winter outlooks). What I do see, however, is a lot of bad information out there within the winter outlooks to explain the various factors.

Hey man! Now I KNOW we're getting close seeing you in the MA thread. 

I don't want any specifics on your thoughts. Just need to know how much snow DC (more importantly Rockville) will get this winter. We can work out the details later. 

HM!

ours coming out Tuesday..the science is pretty dumbed down for the public...but all I really care about are numbers...

Looks like this year may become a unique analog for a late blooming Nino

anomnight.11.10.2014.gif

02 and 76 have been all over CPC d8&11+ analogs for days now. Obviously 76-77 was not a good snow year but I'd take chances with a 76-77 type pattern any winter.

76-77 what fell stayed around...I remember there was a huge ice patch in a parking lot that never melted....day after day after school we were there taking running starts and sliding across it. That winter had benefits

Archived