Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014 Pt II

PennMan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

started as light snow putting down a quick dusting, then changed to heavy sleet at my house this morning. Driveway was an ice rink when I left to head to work. Made it to about Mt Carmel on 83 when it was more rain than frozen. Still 29 at home with a mix of snow/sleet/ rain

1.1" total from the wave of snow that moved through this evening.. 1.6" counting the half inch of WAA snow that fell overnight last night. That brings my season total to 25.3"... already surpassing season totals from instant classics such as 01-02 and 94-95. One inch at a time haha.

I got .6 and that puts me at 26.1" for the season. 

It's very hard for us to get below 25" for a season, it seems. We have, realistically based on our climo, three more months to go with a legit chance for snow. 

When I was a kid, they never plowed for an inch, now they seem to do. 

i never like to push snow if i hear freezing rain is coming in. Its easier to clean up. If you move the snow, then get freezing rain, your lots and sidewalks turn into ice rinks.

But i agree, it seems like a waste to plow 1" and the amount of product they but on the roads this morning was crazy.

By reading all of the posts this morning it looks like Jamie and I were the only ones to not receive an inch or more.  I had all snow from start to finish but only ended up with 0.4" !

BTW, NWS dropped the ZR advisory and replaced it with a WWA around 2:00 AM this morning.  Forecast was still for less than one inch total so for here they verified.

Quick peak at GFS looks like the see-saw is still there but later in the run no longer looks warm.  Looks quite trough-y in fact.  Was over at the Philly sub looking around.  There were some posts saying that JB is seeing the possibility of a "superstorm" around here I think around the 20th or so.  More hype???

By reading all of the posts this morning it looks like Jamie and I were the only ones to not receive an inch or more. I had all snow from start to finish but only ended up with 0.4" !

BTW, NWS dropped the ZR advisory and replaced it with a WWA around 2:00 AM this morning. Forecast was still for less than one inch total so

for here they verified.

Quick peak at GFS looks like the see-saw is still there but later in the run no longer looks warm. Looks quite trough-y in fact. Was over at the Philly sub looking around. There were some posts saying that JB is seeing the possibility of a

"superstorm" around here I think around the 20th or so. More hype???

You've got company. We received well under an inch here in this part of Lancaster county.

I made a comment yesterday about JB and his storm. There was discussion about it in other forums as well. I haven't seen a whole lot on the models yet to substantiate it, though.

By reading all of the posts this morning it looks like Jamie and I were the only ones to not receive an inch or more.  I had all snow from start to finish but only ended up with 0.4" !

BTW, NWS dropped the ZR advisory and replaced it with a WWA around 2:00 AM this morning.  Forecast was still for less than one inch total so for here they verified.

Quick peak at GFS looks like the see-saw is still there but later in the run no longer looks warm.  Looks quite trough-y in fact.  Was over at the Philly sub looking around.  There were some posts saying that JB is seeing the possibility of a "superstorm" around here I think around the 20th or so.  More hype???

0.6" here in Bellefonte too.  Had about the same amount of salt and cinder accumulation in town...awful mess.  Hopefully we can get some heavy rain tomorrow to wash some away.

He is just doing what he does best... will mention possibility of something in long range if there is support for somewhat of a possibility... if the next several model runs do not continue to support it he won't mention it again... if they do start to show something he will continue to discuss it and remind everyone he was the first to mention it... just like today he mentioned once last week that there was potential for snow or ice late this week he is taking credit this morning for calling it a week ago

12Z GFS suddenly showing two minor snow chances next Tuesday and Wednesday with much colder conditions (relative to the thaw this weekend which now looks to last only 3 days).  Wed event would make DT quite happy I'm sure as it shows a pretty decent snow event along I-95 from Richmond north through NYC and on up into New England).  Quite interesting that most of the long-term warmth from yesterday's runs is gone now.

Like others have stated about the extreme cold...I've had my fill of it for this winter.  Teens is plenty cold from now on for me.  I want more snow just because it would be nice to have a "normal" season here in the LSV of between 30 - 35".  I'm only about 1/3rd of the way there so far.

Archived