• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HalloweenGale

I remember Barry Burbank on the 11pm news Saturday night coming on and saying "It now looks like this storm will not miss southern New England, in fact, I'm now calling for a blizzard of historic proportions for the southeastern third of the region and even a major storm all the way back into the interior" (to paraphrase).

That was one of the more exciting newscasts I have watched because all day long I had the Weather Channel on and they were talking about how NYC may or may not get a huge storm...and we would miss. Back then, we didn't have local news on Saturday except noontime and 11pm. (maybe one station had a 6pm Saturday newscast) So it kind of had the feeling of hitting the lottery...you weren't expecting such a major shift for the better.

Even though it was a fairly "run of the mill" storm back here as far as KU storms go (about 15 inches)...it was exciting in the fact that it was going to be a total whiff until about 24-30 hours out. It was certainly a more prolific storm for the coastal areas and SE MA/RI.

BDR only posted 15 inches which is a joke.  We had a good 20-24 inches around here and in surrounding areas.   I figured it would be on the ground forever, next storm was 50% snow before a change to rain and next 4-5 storms were warm cutters wiping it all out in a matter of 2-3 weeks

I remember Barry Burbank on the 11pm news Saturday night coming on and saying "It now looks like this storm will not miss southern New England, in fact, I'm now calling for a blizzard of historic proportions for the southeastern third of the region and even a major storm all the way back into the interior" (to paraphrase).

That was one of the more exciting newscasts I have watched because all day long I had the Weather Channel on and they were talking about how NYC may or may not get a huge storm...and we would miss. Back then, we didn't have local news on Saturday except noontime and 11pm. (maybe one station had a 6pm Saturday newscast) So it kind of had the feeling of hitting the lottery...you weren't expecting such a major shift for the better.

Even though it was a fairly "run of the mill" storm back here as far as KU storms go (about 15 inches)...it was exciting in the fact that it was going to be a total whiff until about 24-30 hours out. It was certainly a more prolific storm for the coastal areas and SE MA/RI.

This was my first 2 foot storm (just missed 1983) and probably one of my all time favorites (top 3 or 4). 

Like you, I had a similar experience with the storm. I was with my family coming back from a day of skiing at Mount Snow and stopped at my aunt and uncle's house in Northampton. They had Channel 3 on the TV (wfsb was the CBS affiliate for both the Hartford/New Haven and Springfield markets up until recently) and Bruce Deprest chucked them far and long with a 1-2 foot forecast. On Friday, when we had left, the storm wasn't supposed to bring anything sizable to our area and was generally forecast to be pretty meh north of NYC.

That was probably the last storm I enjoyed as a "weather consumer" - within a month I had discovered some computer models and all sorts of weather information on the internet. Can't believe it's been 18 years!

Yes, I remember that and Barbara Conrad on Ch 56 reading what I now assume was the ETA FOUS and claiming we were going to see substantial snow. I stayed at my Grandmother's to help shovel, but we had just over 24" in Brockton which finally broke my 2' drought.

This was my first 2 foot storm (just missed 1983) and probably one of my all time favorites (top 3 or 4). 

Like you, I had a similar experience with the storm. I was with my family coming back from a day of skiing at Mount Snow and stopped at my aunt and uncle's house in Northampton. They had Channel 3 on the TV (wfsb was the CBS affiliate for both the Hartford/New Haven and Springfield markets up until recently) and Bruce Deprest chucked them far and long with a 1-2 foot forecast. On Friday, when we had left, the storm wasn't supposed to bring anything sizable to our area and was generally forecast to be pretty meh north of NYC.

That was probably the last storm I enjoyed as a "weather consumer" - within a month I had discovered some computer models and all sorts of weather information on the internet. Can't believe it's been 18 years!

who is the CBS affiliate there now?  Rough times for WFSB as they've been taken off down here due to carriage dispute....Cablevision doesn't want to pay for 2 CBS affiliates in Fairfield County....

you had two feet in northampton for that one?

i had fifteen inches for that storm in bristol ct with total on the ground after the storm around or just under two feet with the snow from the prior storms. i hated that storm bc it seemed like everyone else had at least 8 to 12 inches more and had a 30 to 40 inch snowpack after.....i remember a quick three inches sunday afternoon and then a ten hour dryslot with flurries and then a resumption to steady snows but inch hr rates, nothing like what seemed to be going on elsewhere. what i do remember most noteworthy is the bitter cold well below zero in the morning and mid single digits in the afternoon as the snow began to fly

BDR only posted 15 inches which is a joke. We had a good 20-24 inches around here and in surrounding areas. I figured it would be on the ground forever, next storm was 50% snow before a change to rain and next 4-5 storms were warm cutters wiping it all out in a matter of 2-3 weeks

i always wondered about bdrs total for that storm bc everyone else down there had reoorted so much more

Where were you in '78? Oh, yeah...never mind

I don't recall it much. We lived in an apartment in Gardner at the time and I worked in Marlboro but it seemed pretty normal/large. Maybe 12-15"

Somewhere in my dead sea scrolls I have pictures from '94 and '96.  I haven't seen them in years though. I'll find them some day.

I remember xc skiing in the arboretum that Sunday before it started snowing over a deep cover PC maybe 18. Then we doubled it.

Jan 1996 was the snow depth record for BOS (broke 1978) and still is since 2011 I believe never got measured officially as depth is no longer kept.

how did spfd make out with that one and do you remember what the depth was after it?

I seem to remember about 15" or so. I remember the snow Depth that year getting pretty deep, I remember inspecting houses and the snow was up to my waist in some yards, I don't  remember if it was that deep right after this storm or later in the season because we did get more storms.

Archived