• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Really Dumb Questions Thread

grhqofb5

Dumb question time-- (and I'm sure these have been answered multiple times in multiple threads)

1.  What does OP mean? Observer Program?  Original Prediction?  Observational Predicate?  Oceanic Pressure?  Oblong Permutation?

2. What does "going negative" mean?  The storm center begins to swirl in a different direction?  Hear its a big thing for our storms off the coast.

3. What's the difference between relative humidity and dew point?  Are they related?

4. Why is it that moisture tends to raise temps?  Is it because the storm is bringing in warm air from the Atlantic?

5. Do TV weathermen (or meteorologists) do their own analysis, or do they generally just look at what the computer models tell them and then repeat that?  Meaning, how much real interpretation goes into it these days? Do they just choose what they believe is the best model and go with it, or there other data sets used to determine whether a model's forecast will come to bear?

6. Is Al Gore right about global warming?  Or is Rush Limbaugh right?  Please answer in 5 words or less.

Thanks Guys.

Dumb question time-- (and I'm sure these have been answered multiple times in multiple threads)

1.  What does OP mean? Observer Program?  Original Prediction?  Observational Predicate?  Oceanic Pressure?  Oblong Permutation?

2. What does "going negative" mean?  The storm center begins to swirl in a different direction?  Hear its a big thing for our storms off the coast.

3. What's the difference between relative humidity and dew point?  Are they related?

4. Why is it that moisture tends to raise temps?  Is it because the storm is bringing in warm air from the Atlantic?

5. Do TV weathermen (or meteorologists) do their own analysis, or do they generally just look at what the computer models tell them and then repeat that?  Meaning, how much real interpretation goes into it these days? Do they just choose what they believe is the best model and go with it, or there other data sets used to determine whether a model's forecast will come to bear?

6. Is Al Gore right about global warming?  Or is Rush Limbaugh right?  Please answer in 5 words or less.

Thanks Guys.

1.  Depends on the context I suppose.  In a forum setting it usually refers to the Original Post.

2.  A negatively tilted trough is indicative of a strong or strengthening synoptic scale storm, often with increased cyclogensis at the surface.  This is a good brief explanation:  http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/127/

3.  Dewpoint is an absolute measure of moisture in the air, while RH is a measure of saturation, that is, the amount of water vapor in the air relative to the amount it needs in order to become saturated.  They are related through vapor pressure and saturation vapor pressure.   I can go into more detail on this (if you want it).

4.  This isn't always the case....  Generally, moist air has a temperature that is more difficult to change due to its large specific heat capacity.  In the winter, this means that oceans and other bodies of water take longer to cool down than areas over land.  Generally onshore flow in the winter that is carrying moisture will tend to be warmer.  The opposite can be true in the summer however (see land/sea breezes).

5.  In my experience with broadcast  (2 TV met. internships), there is very little actual meteorology going on (that's not always the case but it is the majority from what I can tell).  Most of the focus is making nice-looking graphics. The broadcast mets I know get their forecasts from a couple model websites and look at NWS forecasts.  Most of their time is spent prepping graphics, shooting promos, etc.

6.  Neither, but no one's certain.

According to the Doran & Zimmerman study (a master's thesis and 2009 peer reviewed publication)...

"The study found, in part, that 96.4% of climatologists who are active publishers on climate change agree that mean global temperatures have risen compared with pre-1800s levels, and that 97.4% agree that human activity is a significant contributing factor in temperature change."

Not trying to start a war here...just stating the results.

post-866-0-22281900-1389357716_thumb.png

As a long term meteorologist, I've known about the Polar Vortex since Meteo 101. However, this is the first time in my memory where an unusually cold outbreak was not referred to as an "Arctic outbreak" or "Polar outbreak from Canada". Has Canada convinced out media not to blame it for the cold outbreaks? I would like to know what media outlook or commercial meteorology firm came up with the "new" tag?

Archived