Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Rain Soaker

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting here at WaWa with the kiddos. Snow guns blasting on beginner terrain

They know the rain is coming but are trying their best. At least the pond is going to fill up again

hopefully the QPF underperforms...a .75 1.00 inch rainfall ain't great, but hopefully it's more like .50-.75

lol - Backhanded silver lining?

With the amount of rain and freezing rain New England has had in the past 2.5 weeks, there should be no shortage of water in anyone's snowmaking pond, lol. 

Its the cruelest twist of fate... in the means we have had... below normal temperatures, above normal precipitation, and below normal snowfall.  That's a rare combo to have.

With the amount of rain and freezing rain New England has had in the past 2.5 weeks, there should be no shortage of water in anyone's snowmaking pond, lol.

Its the cruelest twist of fate... in the means we have had... below normal temperatures, above normal precipitation, and below normal snowfall. That's a rare combo to have.

Thats only been the case in NW New England. From The Midwest / lakes / to DC up to n Maine it's been BN and AN snow

Thats only been the case in NW New England. From The Midwest / lakes / to DC up to n Maine it's been BN and AN snow

I bet the Maine and New Hampshire mountains are going below...especially the northern tier. Be curious to see how that guy up near Pittsburg is doing. A large chunk of upstate NY outside the lake belts and ALB south/east is below.

But it's a moot point at this point in the season...still early and a couple storms easily boost the I-95 corridor relative to average.

I bet the Maine and New Hampshire mountains are going below...especially the northern tier. Be curious to see how that guy up near Pittsburg is doing. A large chunk of upstate NY outside the lake belts and ALB south/east is below.

But it's a moot point at this point in the season...still early and a couple storms easily boost the I-95 corridor relative to average.

take a look at 18 z GFS Gridded data, barely a. 25 of NCP with temps below 40 then two snow storms. Put away the sweater.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=Kmvl

take a look at 18 z GFS Gridded data, barely a. 25 of NCP with temps below 40 then two snow storms. Put away the sweater.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=Kmvl

I do like those, but to be honest, you've posted those before for up here at MVL and they seem to be much more encouraging than reality has ended up. Hopefully it's right!

lol at Saturday afternoon...SSW wind at 76mph near summit level. And I will be ecstatic if this comes through with only 0.25" of liquid. I don't know what happened on the 18z GFS, but I think it's down sloping where it shouldn't be. Just like in our snow events with a SE lower level flow, the GFS tries to downslope all of northern VT, but it's really just a small area near St Johnsbury and Lyndon in reality.

I think he was around 67" last time I looked but he hasn't had a snowpack much over 14". He had a monster November.

I think he was around 67" last time I looked but he hasn't had a snowpack much over 14". He had a monster November.

Yeah Novie was big up here too...solid NW flow events and the only reason the snowfall totals aren't disgustingly low. I bet since early Dec he's well below. Been one weird winter so far. Like up there, we've had snow cover since way back in November but just haven't been able to build at all.

Yeah Novie was big up here too...solid NW flow events and the only reason the snowfall totals aren't disgustingly low. I bet since early Dec he's well below. Been one weird winter so far. Like up there, we've had snow cover since way back in November but just haven't been able to build at all.

1/9/14, man o man

I do like those, but to be honest, you've posted those before for up here at MVL and they seem to be much more encouraging than reality has ended up. Hopefully it's right!

lol at Saturday afternoon...SSW wind at 76mph near summit level. And I will be ecstatic if this comes through with only 0.25" of liquid. I don't know what happened on the 18z GFS, but I think it's down sloping where it shouldn't be. Just like in our snow events with a SE lower level flow, the GFS tries to downslope all of northern VT, but it's really just a small area near St Johnsbury and Lyndon in reality.

I believe the last time I posted those was the last cutter where you were afraid all the snow in town would be gone, how did that work out.

it's a magical place. Water freezes at 5C there.

We haven't been back since one winter, maybe 2002? when we were at Sugarbush, it rained so we called them and asked how it was as we wanted to come up, they said packed powder. We went and it was a glacier, still had fun but don't lie to me you will lose my business forever.

How was Andover? I think when you asked I had about 18-19" on the ground. It still looks like deep winter out there.

There was a similar amount on Sunday when I was there. Had to be 17-20". I had today off and went up snowmobiling in Andover/Franklin area. Trails were great. Easy to tell you guys definetely didn't bust out into the warm sector last storm.

I picture powder freak in a week , unshaven/un-showered . Looking @ reruns of seasons past, barely squinting to see the latest computer models print out paltry qpf then quickly looking away back to his stash of snowier year pics.

Using his sick time from work, pacing back in forth, mumbling to self "i live in a magical snowy place" , "i live in a magical snowy place". His posting style changes and he becomes very irritated and irrational snapping daily and posting 200+ cmc/jma upslope events .

Sneaking a fan gun or two home , so that in between cutters he can blow snow in his yard during the -20f cold spells.

Well aware of the date, haha.

I will bet you a lift ticket that January comes in below normal snowfall. I'm tempted to bet you that we may not hit 50% of normal. If we are above normal, I'll treat you to a few days of skiing.

yowser, what's the normal in Stowe, how much do you have so far? I am very very intrigued.

I picture powder freak in a week , unshaven/un-showered . Looking @ reruns of seasons past, barely squinting to see the latest computer models print out paltry qpf then quickly looking away back to his stash of snowier year pics.

Using his sick time from work, pacing back in forth, mumbling to self "i live in a magical snowy place" , "i live in a magical snowy place". His posting style changes and he becomes very irritated and irrational snapping daily and posting 200+ cmc/jma upslope events .

Sneaking a fan gun or two home , so that in between cutters he can blow snow in his yard during the -20f cold spells.

lmao

it's a magical place. Water freezes at 5C there.

Yeah my beef is that type of stuff. There isn't a met out there that thinks anything but rain will fall aside from maybe a couple hours of ZR at like 900mb. But if it's going to rain, Jay has the mixed precip icon. If it actually looks like mixed/sleet/etc, they have a big snow icon. But the Jay Cloud does what it wants.

So basically turning into another Blizzy.....LOL.

Always a good year up there.

Well they gotta try and sell the "were up North" so we get more snow than anyone else (even if they dont).

I drive 91 North to Quebec for work and sno-mo trips 7-10 times a winter since 1996. Im not saying they dont get more snow than the surrounding area, but, 3 times out of 4 in the winter theres been less than a foot North of the Sheffield heights. The last 5 years have had a fair share of bare ground as you approach the border.

Archived