SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I had to deal with a 3 day power outage with the ice storm last week. Got a little chilly but wasn't too bad. But with this Arctic outbreak, a power outage would be very bad. Also, pretty much all of Southern MI is closed tomorrow, except for the essential functions. I would expect many schools to be closed for Tuesday as well because of the snow and the cold.

Man, I feel for you about the power. We were just plain lucky because transformers were blowing all over around here and by some miracle, ours survived. An outage in the Arctic crap, I couldn't fathom. 

I heard we officially have 13.5" on the ground in Flint, and obviously more to come... it's going to take a while to clean this mess up.

Edit - Wifey just told me that Genesee County road commission has pretty much threw in the towel and declared, "Flint is closed until Tuesday" and pulled their plows off the roads. Can't blame them really at this point they're just wasting fuel chasing the wind.

From the LOT FB page...

741 PM: The total here at NWS Chicago in Romeoville was 11.1", also our largest snowstorm since the 2011 blizzard. When performing the 6pm observation, 4 of our snow measuring boards were buried and one is completely gone. Drifts are up to 40" in some spots outside the office.

Schools closed here because of wind chills tomorrow.  far far far  (lol) nw fringe of the storm moved in here a couple hours ago, along with some lake enhancement.  should snow (talcum) pretty constant the next 2.5 days.... 8-12" by Wednesday afternoon sounds reasonable....

I am wondering if the small flake size is going to limit that more or not?

From the LOT FB page...

741 PM: The total here at NWS Chicago in Romeoville was 11.1", also our largest snowstorm since the 2011 blizzard. When performing the 6pm observation, 4 of our snow measuring boards were buried and one is completely gone. Drifts are up to 40" in some spots outside the office.

One of them gone! lol. Someone steal it?

I am wondering if the small flake size is going to limit that more or not?

Long duration event will get us there. cold temps and talcum snow is the only reason it will be only 8-12"

Overnight: Snow. Blowing snow. Breezy. Total nighttime snow accumulation of  2 inches. Lows around 7. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph.

Monday: Snow showers. Blowing snow. Breezy. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Highs around 8. Northwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Wind chill readings 7 below to 17 below zero.

Monday Night: Snow showers. Blowing snow. Colder. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Lows around 4 below. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Wind chill readings 18 below to 28 below zero.

Tuesday: Snow showers. Blowing snow. Accumulation possible. Highs around 5. West winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Blowing snow in the evening. Snow showers. Accumulation possible. Lows near zero. West winds 5 to 15 mph.

Wednesday: Snow showers likely. Highs around 13. Chance of snow 60 percent

SN is still dominant here although PL is mixed in. I'd say it's 80/20. Not accumulating very efficiently though.

Similar situation over here, -SNPL. Makes sense that your coloumn is a litte cooler as your a tad to my west. Wonder how much further north the warm layer is going to push...

Its still snowing very heavily in my area. I just measured about 9.0cm. Temperature is -0.8C.

Our transition down here is imminent. Some of the intense bursts have probably been enough to wet bulb the column below zero, keeping us snow for longer than it seemed it would earlier. I think you might have a shot at staying all snow for the next 90 minutes. Maybe midnight.

Our transition down here is imminent. Some of the intense bursts have probably been enough to wet bulb the column below zero, keeping us snow for longer than it seemed it would earlier. I think you might have a shot at staying all snow for the next 90 minutes. Maybe midnight.

Yeah per radar, areas north of 401 will likely get another burst of heavy snowfall within the next hour or two before it transitions over to some mixing. I guess it'll depend if the layer of warmth can stay cold enough for a SN/PL mix to stay dominant rather than plain rain. 

How much your way? When do you think the temperatures will start falling? 

Archived