SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet, don't think I have ever seen 0 visibility for an observation.

KBUF 062154Z 24027G37KT 0SM R23/1000V2000FT +SN BLSN VV001 M12/M13 A2970 RMK AO2 PK WND 23045/2140 SLP069 P0000 T11171133[/size]

:lol: Their current special weather statement

"MOTORISTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS

THIS EVENING. VISIBILITY WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES WITH SNOW

COVERED ROADS. THE BIGGEST IMPACTS FROM THE SNOW AND WIND WILL BE

FELT FROM METRO BUFFALO TO JUST NORTH OF BATAVIA...AND FROM

NIAGARA FALLS TO ALBION."

Anyone who attempts to drive out there right now is asking to die a cold and lonely death I would think...

Sweet, don't think I have ever seen 0 visibility for an observation.

KBUF 062154Z 24027G37KT 0SM R23/1000V2000FT +SN BLSN VV001 M12/M13 A2970 RMK AO2 PK WND 23045/2140 SLP069 P0000 T11171133

Don't see that in the METAR very often.  We had a few hours of that during the January 1978 blizzard here.

:lol: Their current special weather statement

"MOTORISTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS

THIS EVENING. VISIBILITY WILL BE NEAR ZERO AT TIMES WITH SNOW

COVERED ROADS. THE BIGGEST IMPACTS FROM THE SNOW AND WIND WILL BE

FELT FROM METRO BUFFALO TO JUST NORTH OF BATAVIA...AND FROM

NIAGARA FALLS TO ALBION."

Anyone who attempts to drive out there right now is asking to die a cold and lonely death I would think...

I've never seen such severe weather wording from the Buffalo NWS. They are really stringent with there warnings and verbiage. They are going all out on this one.

January 4th-5th Snowstorm is Flint's 3rd and Detroit's 24th Heaviest on Record

Flint had their 3rd heaviest snowstorm with 17.1 inches. At NWS Detroit/Pontiac we set our record with 14.6 inches, but our records only go back to November of 1995. Detroit had 10.6 which does crack the top 25 list at #24. All the details can be found at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cms.php?n=snowstorms

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=99431&source=0

That's pretty awesome that Detroit had two top 25 snowstorms of all time in the span of less than a week, especially since only about a dozen 10" storms have occurred in the past century. :snowing:

January 4th-5th Snowstorm is Flint's 3rd and Detroit's 24th Heaviest on Record

Flint had their 3rd heaviest snowstorm with 17.1 inches. At NWS Detroit/Pontiac we set our record with 14.6 inches, but our records only go back to November of 1995. Detroit had 10.6 which does crack the top 25 list at #24. All the details can be found at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cms.php?n=snowstorms

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dtx&storyid=99431&source=0

That's pretty awesome that Detroit had two top 25 snowstorms of all time in the span of less than a week. :snowing:

That is amazing. This winter has been truly epic for the Great Lakes Region. We just need to give Toronto and Cleveland a shellacking and everyone will be covered.

Good luck Buffalo Weather. Here is an excerpt from the P and C near Lowville Ny, off of Lake Ontario.

Tonight: Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind 11 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow with widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 5. Wind chill values as low as -20. Breezy, with a west wind 14 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -20. Breezy, with a west wind 11 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Straight legit at BUF.

+SN...1/16 mile vis...and winds gusting to 52 mph.

SPECI KBUF 062148Z COR 25023G45KT 1/16SM R23/1000V4000FT +SN BLSN VV014 M12/M13 A2970 RMK AO2 PK WND 23045/2140 P0000

At 11 degrees with lake effect snow and those winds I can't even imagine the drifting that is going to be going on. 10 feet? 15 feet?

First time since 1985 that the Buffalo NWS has issued a Blizzard Warning...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

I thought the NWS Buffalo banned themselves from using the word "blizzard" due to the horrendous experiences with the Blizzard of 77.

IND has 0.9" additional today in the 4pm climate report. It certainly was snowing past midnight there...but I wonder if that's legit or a mistake? That would put the storm total over a foot...

SNOWFALL (IN)
TODAY 0.9 
MONTH TO DATE 18.4 
SINCE DEC 1 27.2 

That is amazing. This winter has been truly epic for the Great Lakes Region. We just need to give Toronto and Cleveland a shellacking and everyone will be covered.

Yeah Toronto and Cleveland need some love, although Toronto seemed to have gotten a better deal out of this last storm than they anticipated which I'm sure was nice.

I guess this winter so far has been nature's way of making up for the past couple of winters being sub-par.

I thought the NWS Buffalo banned themselves from using the word "blizzard" due to the horrendous experiences with the Blizzard of 77.

This is a well known notion, but they did it with this storm. That is why this is unprecedented. The Blizzard of 1985 was the 2nd worst storm in Buffalo's history, and another Blizzard Warning was issued for the Superstorm of 1993, but I don't believe it truly reached blizzard criteria during that event.

Here is the information in regards to the Blizzard of 1985, 2 years before I was born.

January 19-23, 1985, "The Blizzard of '85", legendary lake effect blizzard that crippled the Buffalo area, which still had '77 fresh in their memory, wind chills at times approached -60F, winds gusted to 50mph or more, and drifts reached 8 feet, it was one of the greatest Buffalo storms ever. Can we see another one of these? After the Blizzard of 1977, this is known as Buffalos 2nd most severe storm. Credit goes to WNYLakeEffect who put together one of the best databases of local LES events ever. He must have spent hours on this thing...Here is the post, bookmark this for future references I am sure you guys will enjoy it.

post-16475-1264297607.png

First time since 1985 that the Buffalo NWS has issued a Blizzard Warning...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY......WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARDWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.* LOCATIONS...WYOMING AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.* HAZARDS...BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING  SNOW.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 15 INCHES TONIGHT...9 TO 17 INCHES  TUESDAY...AND 2 TO 4 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM  TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH...GUSTS TO 45 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.* WIND CHILL VALUES...AS LOW AS 35 BELOW.

Hi Buffalowether, hope your wife wife will be O.K.

Not sure how old you are but i remember the 1985 blizzard in Buffalo.Watching from the snowhole Toronto.

The Buffalo T.V mets were Tom Jolls (WKBW), Don Paul (WIVB), and Eric Warren (WGRZ) and they had radars.

This must be a big event if blizzard warning is issued by Buffalo.NWS.

Archived