• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

Actually had my driveway all cleaned up last night.. This morning it's nearly drifted over again..

Yeah, me too... I'm thinking that was a waste of time. City hasn't even touched my neighborhood streets. Probably will be until tomorrow... then I get to shovel the plowed bank on top of a 2 foot drift at the end of my driveway. Won't even try to do it today with wind chills of -40.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I don't think YYZ went above freezing. Bust all around.

Yup....never went above freezing and at my house too. All of the precip fell as SN with some PL near the end in my area. Did a final measurement and recorded 14.7cm. YYZ recorded 11.6cm.

Hope you had a safe flight man! Come back again sometime ;)

From DTX:

January 4th-5th Snowstorm is Flint's 3rd and Detroit's 24th Heaviest on Record

Flint had their 3rd heaviest snowstorm with 17.1 inches. At NWS Detroit/Pontiac we set our record with 14.6 inches, but our records only go back to November of 1995. Detroit had 10.6 which does crack the top 25 list at #24. All the details can be found at http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/cms.php?n=snowstorms

Wow, I don't think YYZ went above freezing. Bust all around.

Yup....never went above freezing and at my house too. All of the precip fell as SN with some PL near the end in my area. Did a final measurement and recorded 14.7cm. YYZ recorded 11.6cm.

Hope you had a safe flight man! Come back again sometime ;)

6.0" up at YorkU from this

A very positive bust. It looks like, sometime during the night, I went above freezing to +1.2 Celsius, but it must have been brief because I haven't lost any of my snowpack and in fact have a level 7" in my back garden. Great storm overall and it looks like we are in for some serious cold here too. Forecast low of -14 Fahrenheit (-25 Celsius) tonight!!

Hope you had a great flight Canuck!

Hey Stebo its Pounding snow here. Does this count as part of the storm or is it seperate?

Considering there wasn't much of a break, I would say part of the storm. However. I don't know exactly the criteria that NWS uses on this. If one of the NWS mets here can clarify that would be great.

Considering there wasn't much of a break, I would say part of the storm. However. I don't know exactly the criteria that NWS uses on this. If one of the NWS mets here can clarify that would be great.

It is a judgment call from the person doing storm data but it would probably be included with some annotation of how much of it was lake effect

ORD up to 34.7" for the season, measuring controversy not withstanding, through yesterday. That's 23.4" above average through Jan 5 and 2.0" from the 1981-10 normal total season snowfall of 36.7". Last year through Jan 5, ORD stood at 1.3" for the season. :D

DTW is up to 37.7" for the season, last year we were at 11.5" at this point. 42.5" is our average which we will have no problem eclipsing before the end of the month.

A better snowfall map, but still may be low (or have errors) in certain locations.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-01-06 at 9.44.16 AM.png

Looks almost identical to the Euro model run on Saturday morning. I hope this storm is a great lesson to some that you do not just run with the latest model runs and you use a blend to come to a conclusion. Some of you treated those as the gospel when a Lima to Windsor track for the SLP was just not going to happen

Nice vid Bo, that pretty much sums up the weather right now, was snowing pretty good at my house on the way in to work. Probably have a little over 3 inches of new snow but tough to tell with the wind. Although my house is shielded a lot better then yours as I am more heavily surrounded by woods near my house.

same here.... maybe a little more snow than that but honestly hard to tell. have been the band clser to the coast a while. I say 5-8" more by this time tomorrow for us both...ENJOY!

24"-28" IN MY YARD

same here.... maybe a little more snow than that but honestly hard to tell. have been the band clser to the coast a while. I say 5-8" more by this time tomorrow for us both...ENJOY!

24"-28" IN MY YARD

About the same IMBY as well, snow should pick up more as the winds continue to veer more NW WNW direction. Nice band near Kalkaska should push more this way through the day, to bad its so cold could of been a nice LES event up here.

My in laws who live near Jackson picked up about 17"! Incredible never seen that amount ever when I lived down there lol.

Looks almost identical to the Euro model run on Saturday morning. I hope this storm is a great lesson to some that you do not just run with the latest model runs and you use a blend to come to a conclusion. Some of you treated those as the gospel when a Lima to Windsor track for the SLP was just not going to happen

Don't really know what the Euro was showing at the last minute but it seriously underdid the warm air on the south side and as a whole leading up was pretty terrible.  We were supposed to get 8-10 inches and ended up with 1.  NAM had at least that part pegged.  Keep hugging that acorn though.

I think what happened with this is that the higher-res models had the right idea in picking up on the stronger/northwest shift but some went a bit too far.

Archived