Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This area - Stratford/Mitchell - definitely underperforming - based on forecast amounts.  It hasn't been snowing hard once during this event. I would say we have 4-5" since noon. Glad to hear Toronto didn't make the change over to rain.

Most reliable source in KW says 5.1" since noon, and Stratford is just down the road so we are about the same. Snowfall warning criteria is 6" in 12 hours, correct? 

My last measurement was around 9", but moderate snow was continuing to fall. Based on this report, it's safe to say that we probably did get about the double digit mark. 

0948 PM HEAVY SNOW WHEATFIELD 41.19N 87.05W

01/05/2014 M10.5 INCH JASPER IN TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL SINCE 430AM SUNDAY.

Also, drifts are seemingly exceeding 4 feet in rural areas. Seems about right. I have a 3+ footer blocking my back door right now. 

1015 PM HEAVY SNOW MOUNT AYR 40.95N 87.30W

01/05/2014 M10.4 INCH NEWTON IN TRAINED SPOTTER

STORM TOTAL. SNOW DRIFTS UP TO 49 INCHES DEEP. CONTINUED

NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN BLOWING SNOW.

Don't know for sure but the jackpot in the LOT cwa may have been somewhere in northern Lake/Porter counties.  That area got good snow last night and was under the lake enhanced band for quite a while today.  Talked to my mom and she said the piles near the garage were taller than the fence (4 feet high) which only happens in the really big storms...granted there was snow on the ground prior to this.  Still I would bet that someone in northern Lake/Porter picked up 15" or more.

Most reliable source in KW says 5.1" since noon, and Stratford is just down the road so we are about the same. Snowfall warning criteria is 6" in 12 hours, correct? 

Indeed it is...will be interesting to see which areas get into the Blizzard Warning tomorrow. Would expect Blizzard Warnings and Wind Chill warnings to be issued with the morning forecast from EC...maybe flash freeze warnings a bit earlier? 

Don't know for sure but the jackpot in the LOT cwa may have been somewhere in northern Lake/Porter counties.  That area got good snow last night and was under the lake enhanced band for quite a while today.  Talked to my mom and she said the piles near the garage were taller than the fence (4 feet high) which only happens in the really big storms...granted there was snow on the ground prior to this.  Still I would bet that someone in northern Lake/Porter picked up 15" or more.

I think Crown Point reported something like 13-14". So yeah, somewhere north of 30 cashed in on 15+. 

Hoping this leftover deform precip moving through NWOH will be enough for me to crack double digits. Either way, it's been a really impressive storm, but cracking 10" is always a bonus. 

Gale force wind gusts at Toledo, near my old place, although visibility has improved.

KTDZ 060509Z AUTO 31025G34KT 1 3/4SM -SN BR

Maybe I missed it but how much did LAF end up getting?  Last I saw was it had breached the 10" mark.

Somewhere in the 11-12" range (based on Tim/blue60007/myself) but it became almost impossible to get good measurements in the latter part of the storm. 

Gale force wind gusts at Toledo, near my old place, although visibility has improved.

KTDZ 060509Z AUTO 31025G34KT 1 3/4SM -SN BR

KTDZ is taking a quick breather... back to SN here. Looks like we could squeeze out another 1-2" if this stuff along the OH/IN border survive. Defiance has a crack at 15" if the 13" report I saw earlier was legit which I believe it is. 

Anyone else see that Environment Canada mentions blizzard warnings for tomorrow in the latest bulletin

Hanover - Dundalk - Southern Grey County

11:55 PM EST Sunday 05 January 2014

Snow squall watch for 

Hanover - Dundalk - Southern Grey County continued

Dangerous snow squalls developing Monday producing near blizzard conditions. Combined with extreme wind chills, this may become potentially life-threatening if anyone becomes stranded in vehicles on snow-blocked highways.

An intensifying storm centred over Central Ohio is forecast to cross the Greater Toronto area overnight reaching Petawawa Monday morning. Heavier snow has developed over much of the Southern Ontario.

In the wake of the storm, bitterly cold west to northwest winds will result in the development of intense snow squalls southeast of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Snowfall amounts of 10 to 15 cm are forecast over a large area Monday as the winds carry the squalls far inland and are forecast to shift during the day. Very low visibilities are likely with near whiteout conditions under the most intense snow bands.

These cold brisk winds are expected to produce widespread dangerous wind chills of minus 30 to minus 35 beginning late Monday. The combination of a fresh heavy snowfall from tonight's storm with intense snow squalls on Monday with bitter wind chills poses a life-threatening risk for anyone outside for any duration, or stranded in vehicles if roads becomes snow-blocked. Travellers need to ensure they have an adequate car emergency kit and ample fuel if travelling any distance.

As a result of this dangerous weather situation, blizzard warnings are being considered for many of these regions.

Environment Canada will continue to monitor this evolving situation and update warnings accordingly.

Working dispatch for EMA in Howard County.  The county pulled all plows off the road at 10 PM and I'm not sure the state is out either.  Drifts reported over the hood of full sized pick ups.  We have all but stopped doing anything outside of the city/suburbs.  I'd say we were in the jackpot zone of 14-16 inches.  

KTDZ is taking a quick breather... back to SN here. Looks like we could squeeze out another 1-2" if this stuff along the OH/IN border survive. Defiance has a crack at 15" if the 13" report I saw earlier was legit which I believe it is. 

spotter report 9.3" at Sylvania, 9.0" north Toledo, 12.5" Defiance.   It's nice that I can keep up with this with GRLevel3, which displays spotter reports of all types.

spotter report 9.3" at Sylvania, 9.0" north Toledo, 12.5" Defiance.   It's nice that I can keep up with this with GRLevel3, which displays spotter reports of all types.

KTOL came in with 9.4" as the daily total for Sunday. Hopefully this snow falling right now can make it a nice even 10". Any reports outside the Toledo area from CLE? It's like all the NWOH spotters left for this storm. 

KTOL came in with 9.4" as the daily total for Sunday. Hopefully this snow falling right now can make it a nice even 10". Any reports outside the Toledo area from CLE? It's like all the NWOH spotters left for this storm. 

I'm waiting until this passes through but I'm gonna guess 10" for 15 miles SE of Toledo here. Roads are impassable, road cams show 4-6" deep snow on I-75 and I-475, 280 bridge is a nightmare. Almost all counties going under Level 3 shortly or currently are

I don't see anything on the screen for north central OH or northeast. In the last storm, (January 1), I think the CLE CWA spotter reports somehow didn't show up on the GRLevel3 screen, possibly because they weren't in the Local Storm Report format. Also the northeast USA spotter reports (nearly all states over there) are not showing up on GRLevel3. These may not be in Local Storm Report format.

Actually if you looked really closely, a very small squall line formed at the front over in Akron (a squall line of rain.)

I'm waiting until this passes through but I'm gonna guess 10" for 15 miles SE of Toledo here. Roads are impassable, road cams show 4-6" deep snow on I-75 and I-475, 280 bridge is a nightmare. Almost all counties going under Level 3 shortly or currently are

There's 8"+ on my street. Haven't seen a plow since 1PM. Can't imagine how bad country roads will end up tonight/tomorrow

I'm just going to use the NWS employee reports and add the last hour or two to his total and call this 16-17 inches.

I have no idea how he measured this with all the drifting, so I'd rather not.

Depth is about 20 inches here.

This tops Dec 11-12th 2000 and ranks as my biggest snowstorm of my life locally and possibly anywhere.

Jan 5th-7th 2014 lives in infamy in Howell, the big dog drought is over.

Archived