Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Another Cold Shot Jan 7-8

CT Rain

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just check the 6z NAM BUFKIT sounding for the central LIS buoy. At 20z Tuesday it has an inversion height near 800mb and nearly 1000 j/kg of CAPE! That's really impressive.

Wind in the boundary layer are 280 degrees but back to 270 degrees by evening. That's a pretty good setup for the North Fork of Long Island, BID/MVY/ACK. Maximizes fetch along the south coast and orients the bands west-east. 

If the orientation of this cold shot can change just a bit and we can get winds to back even more than it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get a Ginx special in Westerly. 

Agree Ryan. Not all that impressive here(although cold for sure) especially when compared to the numbers well south of us. The OES for those places mentioned should be interesting.

Agree Ryan. Not all that impressive here(although cold for sure) especially when compared to the numbers well south of us. The OES for those places mentioned should be interesting.

I'm bummed winds won't be 250 or 260. This is the rare kind of setup that can bring meaningful OES onto the south coast (BID/MVY/ACK/MTP excluded). 

The OES threat seems to focus mainly on the islands, models don't really back the flow to the southwest so mainly the islands will see some snows.  Impressive 850mb temps and CAPE values are quite impressive, westerly to southwesterly flow events could have more punch given that there is better fetch and longevity of wind flow than northerly wind events.  Let's see what this one does.

I don't like the Midwest sloppy seconds where we advect the cold in from the WSW-SW. Congrats I90 west of PA though. That's some brutal cold. Kinda funny seeing ORD with a forecast high of -14F in the p&c.

The worst part of it is the flow in the boundary layer is just WNW enough to keep ocean/sound effect snow offshore. So close to providing some fun. 

I don't like the Midwest sloppy seconds where we advect the cold in from the WSW-SW. Congrats I90 west of PA though. That's some brutal cold. Kinda funny seeing ORD with a forecast high of -14F in the p&c.

Sorta OT , but I recall fall of 11" we were advecting "cool" weather in from the sw for a while , that pattern stagnated a bit , then freak arctic chill/octobomb and then torch most of winter sans a week or so in January.

Surprised pvd/bos has never recorded sub zero high....weak sauce

The worst part of it is the flow in the boundary layer is just WNW enough to keep ocean/sound effect snow offshore. So close to providing some fun. 

GFS is more WSW or SW with the winds in the boundary layer, produces .143" of QPF as snow from Monday night into Wednesday morning.  At some point we get convective precip.

I think also much of New England is spared the coldest aspect of this particular arctic outbreak.  Most operational guidance clearly shows the coldest thickness wrapping up and curling back into eastern Canada behind the low pressure as it lifts up.

The cold going through the ohio valley first before getting to us is probably the worst trajectory for our area in terms of maximzing arctic outbreaks.

It's hard to get really cold 850s without some westerly component, though. The coldest air is usually from NW Canada not directly north of us like Hudson Bay.

Well there's always some westerly component, but you want more northerly than westerly.

And yes, its harder to get extreme 850 temps on more NNW flow...but when it happens is when we get our coldest days. The January 2004 outbreaks were mostly from the NNW.

Archived