joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Annual Countdown to May 1st Thread ©

weatherwiz

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06 had at least one pretty good event, no?

Yeah the derecho across srn ORH county into SE MA. That was a good one. I guess I mean more of an overall general pattern. I remember some great events from those years...not so much recently. Nocturnal storm in May 2010 and the strobe lights of June 1 2011 are notable.

Yeah the derecho across srn ORH county into SE MA. That was a good one. I guess I mean more of an overall general pattern. I remember some great events from those years...not so much recently. Nocturnal storm in May 2010 and the strobe lights of June 1 2011 are notable.

2006 had a few pretty solid events.  

There was July 11th and 12th along with July 18th.  

July 12th was pretty nasty across NE MA...I remember seeing video of golf ball hail (forget exactly where) and that was the day of the Wendell, MA tornado.  

• 2 weeks later...

It probably can't be a much worse severe season for New England than last year. Decent number of warnings, but mostly for kind of, sort of, maybe wet microbursts.

I feel like we're getting more and more marginal warnings for storms that would be lucky to produce a 40 knot gust.

The worst is that some of those warnings have the same language as a SVR for a storm producing sig svr!

I feel like we're getting more and more marginal warnings for storms that would be lucky to produce a 40 knot gust.

The worst is that some of those warnings have the same language as a SVR for a storm producing sig svr!

Well some interesting news coming down the pike for this season (hopefully), the radars will all be getting the next build update equipped with SAILS.

Supplemental Adaptive Intra-Volume Low-Level Scan will basically find the middle (based on time) of the last volume scan and add a new split cut scan of the lowest elevation (usually 0.5 degrees). Long story short, we'll have base scans more frequently (roughly every two minutes). Big help for storms with wind (tornadic or otherwise) concerns.

Your larger point is right though, we do tend to "waste" our bullets by over-issuing SVRs. Dimes and a 40 kt gust is what it is, a good storm but not severe. I think some mets just get trigger happy around here.

There is an art to warning decisions. Some people love it, others hate it. For my money, you could put me in the hot seat all day long and I would be happy.

Well some interesting news coming down the pike for this season (hopefully), the radars will all be getting the next build update equipped with SAILS.

Supplemental Adaptive Intra-Volume Low-Level Scan will basically find the middle (based on time) of the last volume scan and add a new split cut scan of the lowest elevation (usually 0.5 degrees). Long story short, we'll have base scans more frequently (roughly every two minutes). Big help for storms with wind (tornadic or otherwise) concerns.

Yup. The new upgrade for GR2A allows for the SAILS data to come in. That's great. Should really help with borderline TOR situations.

Your larger point is right though, we do tend to "waste" our bullets by over-issuing SVRs. Dimes and a 40 kt gust is what it is, a good storm but not severe. I think some mets just get trigger happy around here.

There is an art to warning decisions. Some people love it, others hate it. For my money, you could put me in the hot seat all day long and I would be happy.

I wish that forecasters would customize warnings more given a specific set of circumstances. I see so many warnings include wording that's totally bogus. For example I've seen "large hail" mentioned for storms where clearly there's no hail threat (even pea size) and other storms capable of producing really widespread damaging winds get really no extra wording than the standard 40 knot twig buster.

I know some of the CR/SR offices supplement their warnings with tons of info on NWS Chat which is another way of doing it.

Most tv mets are not proficient in radar met/dual pol (a few are... But that's definitely the minority) so differentiating between weak sauce and holy crap is a way to get the message out better IMO.

I wish that forecasters would customize warnings more given a specific set of circumstances. I see so many warnings include wording that's totally bogus. For example I've seen "large hail" mentioned for storms where clearly there's no hail threat (even pea size) and other storms capable of producing really widespread damaging winds get really no extra wording than the standard 40 knot twig buster.

I know some of the CR/SR offices supplement their warnings with tons of info on NWS Chat which is another way of doing it.

Most tv mets are not proficient in radar met/dual pol (a few are... But that's definitely the minority) so differentiating between weak sauce and holy crap is a way to get the message out better IMO.

I agree with just about everything you say here. I know I always edit our preset calls-to-action to make sure they fit the situation (i.e. no large hail wording with a squall line, etc).

This doesn't help, that we as a region do poorly with updating SVRs with follow up statements. I looked back after I saw this graphic and we had some seasons with nearly 3/4ths of the SVRs without an update. Every TOR we issued on 6/1/11 didn't have an update! It's a great way to remove errors, and there is no rule that they can't be issued immediately following a SVR. It's also a great way to update as conditions change within the warning (hail size goes up or down, winds become stronger/weaker).

post-44-0-19515900-1391924864_thumb.jpg

We also should be making greater use of NWSChat and social media when it comes to warnings.

AWIPS II coming on board soonish will also give us an opportunity to re-work our calls-to-action too.

Archived