• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-6th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

Just saw the 00z RGEM precip type charts. All snow for the entire run up to 00z Monday. However, the R/S line is hugging the south shore of Lake Ontario in the Niagara region. The only way we could be saved from any mixing is if the low moves ENE instead of NE from western Ohio.

Makes me glad I live up by Steeles Avenue and the border with Markham. Yet again, the 401 may be the dividing line.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've searched over the 135 years of Columbus records, and never before has there been a rainstorm literally the day before a severe arctic outbreak.  It's always been snow or nothing, so this would be a first. 

You would think the density of such a cold airmass would nudge the storm SE.  I am thinking the  neutral NAO is allowing the storm to track more north than would be during a -NAO which is usually present just before a severe arctic outbreak.

Sheesh, significant differences in PV placement on the NAM and GFS. NAM is more amplified, placed to the west and more neutrally tilted. The RGEM has a similar PV pattern depicted by the NAM, and hence greater phasing is allowed between the southern stream and digging PV. This allows the low to deepen more rapidly and track further NW compared to the GFS, where the more positively tilted PV is blocking it from going too far NW.

post-1245-0-21783200-1388807378_thumb.gi

Archived