• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

Most places in the Charleston area except for the immediate beaches (Kiawah, Folly, Sullivan's Island, IOP) stayed below freezing or right at it from Monday night until now. A few places got to 33 or 34, but many stayed at 32 or below. Carnes Crossroads (near Cane Bay HS) went down to 14.3 Tuesday morning. That's the lowest I could find.

Very cold airmass for this area.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grandfather Mountain on the Coldest Morning So Far of the 2014 Winter

Tuesday 07JAN14

High Country Press Article

http://www.hcpress.c...s-at-5-a-m.html

Jan. 8, 2013. Temperatures took a nosedive Monday and Tuesday on Grandfather Mountain, reaching a low of -17 degrees early Tuesday morning.

Equipment mounted at the Mile High Swinging Bridge, which records temperatures every minute and on the hour, recorded air temperatures of -17 degrees at 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. Tuesday. The bridge is located at an elevation of 5,280 feet.

The lowest recorded wind chill was -58 degrees at 5 a.m. Tuesday, according to the data, and the wind chill still remained around -36 degrees as of 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.

The highest reported wind speed overnight was 86.7 mph, recorded at 12:50 a.m. Tuesday. The all-time record wind speed in 58 years of weather observations is 120.7 mph.

Due to extreme conditions at the top of the mountain, the equipment temporarily could not keep up with the forming rime ice and produced an erroneous reading of -103.1 wind chill overnight.

Grandfather Mountain did not reach its coldest temperature ever recorded, which was -32 degrees on Jan. 21, 1985.

Grandfather Mountain was closed to visitors Monday and Tuesday

Our GFMTN Friend Jesse Pope took this picture from the summit at sunrise Tuesday Morning.

Thanks Jesse!!

2748gHc.jpg

This has been a great thread.   Thanks for all that have participated.   It's what our board is all about !

My hunch is this will end up being our best Winter Event of this 2013-2014 Winter.

Hope I am wrong though.   Keep looking and hoping for a true solid North Carolina snow storm!   It's been a while!

This has been a great thread. Thanks for all that have participated. It's what our board is all about !

My hunch is this will end up being our best Winter Event of this 2013-2014 Winter.

Hope I am wrong though. Keep looking and hoping for a true solid North Carolina snow storm! It's been a while!

that would be absolutely awful and depressing if our highlight of the winter is a cold snap.

I agree with bold statement below.

This has been a great thread.   Thanks for all that have participated.   It's what our board is all about !

Hope I am wrong though.   Keep looking and hoping for a true solid North Carolina snow storm!   It's been a while!

You're welcome guys and gals...please leave a tip in the jar on the way out the door. :D

Yea it was fun. But nothing compares to tracking a big snow event. It seems like it's been ages since we got to loose countless hours of sleep staying up waiting on model runs. I long for the days where we would roll through a couple of 50 page threads per day leading up to an event. Here lately It's hard to even find fantasy storms on the models anymore. Sooner rather than later the rubber band has to snap back in the other direction. I joined eastern in 2007. I can't imagine having this board up and running through some of the major events from 2000-2004. 

I didn't realize that yesterday's 6º in Charlotte was the city's coldest temperature since January 1994.  I thought it was colder in January 2003, but the lowest temperature that year was 9º.

Yea it was fun. But nothing compares to tracking a big snow event. It seems like it's been ages since we got to loose countless hours of sleep staying up waiting on model runs. I long for the days where we would roll through a couple of 50 page threads per day leading up to an event. Here lately It's hard to even find fantasy storms on the models anymore. Sooner rather than later the rubber band has to snap back in the other direction. I joined eastern in 2007. I can't imagine having this board up and running through some of the major events from 2000-2004. 

The "Glory Days" of Wright Weather Bulletin Board.  Good times. 

I still remember some of the epic flame wars that occurred there.  

Archived