• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

My back yard hit 0 here in the NE Cherokee sticks.  It's up to 3 degrees now that the sun has been up for an hour.  The closest official NWS station at the county airport southwest of here hit 5 in the wee hours, but we consistently run a few degrees below that station year round so no big surprise there.

Delighted to say all the plumbing survived intact.

This was fun.  Can we have some snow next though?

I heard that Jasper hit -1 last night.   I think that was the closest sub zero temp to Atlanta

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been fun and different.

And Unlike with snow, if you bust you can't see the difference so much either LOL..or hear it from friends and family :lol: If it is 6 instead of 2, no one will care..it's still cold as hell. But if you call for freezing rain and it's a half a degree too warm, the end result makes it look like you were off by 20 degrees. Or if you say there will be a half inch of snow and you only get flurries, even though in reality you are only talking a difference of hundredths of an inch, it appears like you were off by a mile. God forbid if the NWS calls for 2 to 4 inches of snow and you only get an inch. Even  though they would only be off by a tenth of an inch liquid (or far less if the ratios are high) from the low end of their range, people will give them hell.

This type of stuff has always bugged me because if you are only off a half a degree or 1 to 3 tenths of an inch liquid at any other time, people will think you did a great job. I mean if you call for 2.2 inches of rain and it rains 2 inches even people will say you nailed it. But be off that much involving snow and ice and you will look like a moron in the non weather educated people.

ironically they just showed the bubble thing on one of the local news channels...that was cool! I really have to try it when the wind is down.

Yeah.  I have lots of little frozen ponds in my yard.  We've had so much rain over the last couple of years that the ground is super saturated.  So much so that I think we're going to have to put in a couple of french drains because two sizeable areas are mud pits and have killed the grass.  At this point it only takes .25 inches of rain for us to have standing water ponding in our yard.  There is just no place for it to go anymore.

Atlanta is an especially odd forecasting zone, I think, not only because it's such a big greater metro area but beause it covers a significant change in elevation and geography.  The weather south of I20 is different than what we see up here in the foothills, and what we see is quite different from the mountain counties north of us. 

No doubt. Reports around my county show several hundred homes without power.

No freezing of the pipes last night at my home. Had a hot shower this morning with no lag time. We built our house in 07 and this is the first single digit night it has endured. The ventilation system on my foundation always does a great job making sure no wind gets in. I was more concerned about my above ground well. However, I have a good bit of installation that was left over from the build. Just made sure it was in the right place underneath fake rock that covers the pump. 

Now, lets reel in a damn snow storm!!

Just got word that quite a few people I know have no water this morning. Fortunately all my pipes are insulated and I kept a light on under the house to be sure.

Hit 5 degrees imby. Pond behind house is icing over. Dang, i forgot about the bubbles.  :lmao:

Sweet!! :D 

I tried it last night around 1am when it was like 9 but the wind was so high and it was so damn cold I gave up lol. I mean I got the bubbles but as soon as i made them they blew away lol. Still too windy right now. maybe it can get it to work tonight if it gets cold enough.

It's still too windy here this morning, but I did manage to get a few to stay on the blowing stick long enough to take pictures. I will try again once the wind slacks off. It's great to have them lined up and watch them change shapes and colors  ^_^

post-279-0-42711400-1389106855_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-68559500-1389106889_thumb.jpg

post for Ray on his site

http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

"a couple of tidbits in the meantime... -18° atop Beech was the coldest temperature reported since they started recording data in 1991. But in the big picture, while this event was a record cold day for the date, it did NOT even crack the top ten coldest days on record for any location where data has been recorded for more than 60 years. So let's keep the hoopla in perspective."

Wife and I did the soap bubbles with outdoor temp of ~9 degrees. They turned to a rubbery bubble rather than a hard one. Thought the rubbery was neater as you could play with it some. they stuck to the storm door and settled into a weird shape rather than disappearing into a wet spot.

19 IMBY on James Island this morning. That's incredible just a few miles from the harbor and ocean. One of the coldest readings I've ever had here. At 10:35am only 23.2. Rolling blackouts are occurring around the Charleston area. 18,000 out of power just in Charleston County.

Savannah stations (Hunter AFB, airport, and Ft. Pulaski) all had a low of 19. I'll need to check on how long it has been since Sav got into the teens. It is only up to 22 at 10 AM at the airport/Hunter and only 20-21 at Ft. Pulaski. With that low a rise, a high at the airport not getting above 32 is quite possible. It will be close. If it happens, it would be the first time in 24 years!

Gray's Reef buoy has the temp. at an amazingly cold 24.8 and still slowly dropping as of 10 AM!! This buoy is located about 20 miles offshore. However, they have no shot at a high of 32 or lower due to it having been around 35 at midnight.

CAE recorded 13 for the low and mby said 10 :D  Sooo close to the single digits :lol:  Now I'm headed outside to blow some bubbles   ^_^

It became hours of enjoyment for me. As they drifted in the air they would start to freeze and then burst into floating shards of iridescent ice :)

Savannah stations (Hunter AFB, airport, and Ft. Pulaski) all had a low of 19. I'll need to check on how long it has been since Sav got into the teens. It is only up to 22 at 10 AM at the airport/Hunter and only 20-21 at Ft. Pulaski. With that low a rise, a high at the airport not getting above 32 is quite possible. It will be close. If it happens, it would be the first time in 24 years!

Gray's Reef buoy has the temp. at an amazingly cold 24.8 and still slowly dropping as of 10 AM!! This buoy is located about 20 miles offshore. However, they have no shot at a high of 32 or lower due to it having been around 35 at midnight.

KSAV's record low high is 37 set back in 1988, during the big winter storm that KGSP and KCLT got their record snowfalls, and KCHS had a sleet and icestorm.  KCHS 33 and KCHL (Downtown Charleston) 35 low highs.    KCHS reached 17 this morning for a record low for the dats, smashing the previous record of 22.   KCHL hit 20 also a daily record low, surpassing the previous daily low of 21 set back in 1924!

EDIT: Temperature just reached 25 at 1130 am.  Took the dogs out for a bathroom trip and they were going absolutely bonkers, clawing at the frozen water dish lol

It became hours of enjoyment for me. As they drifted in the air they would start to freeze and then burst into floating shards of iridescent ice :)

:lol: Me too.....now I need to restock my Granddaughter's supply of bubbles

KSAV's record low high is 37 set back in 1988, during the big winter storm that KGSP and KCLT got their record snowfalls, and KCHS had a sleet and icestorm.  KCHS 33 and KCHL (Downtown Charleston) 35 low highs.    KCHS reached 17 this morning for a record low for the dats, smashing the previous record of 22.   KCHL hit 20 also a daily record low, surpassing the previous daily low of 21 set back in 1924!

I :wub: breaking these types of records 

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

940 AM EST TUE JAN 07 2014

...RECORD DAILY LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC...

A RECORD DAILY LOW TEMPERATURE OF 13 DEGREES WAS SET AT COLUMBIA

METRO AIRPORT SC TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 16 SET IN

DAILY TEMPERATURE RECORDS IN THE COLUMBIA AREA DATE BACK TO 1887.

Damn! I thought for sure you would hit 0 based on 950mb temps and how much colder you were than me yesterday evening. I mean you was a good 10 degrees colder at one point and maybe more at other times.  At 2:30 am last night when i went to bed, there were temps between -3 and 3 all over the place over the mountains and foothills so I was thinking "yep he's gotten to or will get to 0". 

So it's a bit surprising that with a convective/windy/non radiational cooling regime you only was 4 degrees colder this morning. I know it's only 2 degrees but I hate getting it wrong. :gun_bandana:

lol i thought i might, and chances are it did somewhere in my yard (i thought about running a thermometer to the lowest spot last night before bed but it was just too cold haha).  in any event 1 or 2 is still cold and the coldest i have ever recorded living here

Archived