• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well the plunge in temps seems to have slowed down - the temp is now dropping but much more slowly.  i am in single digits already though lol 8.7 WOW

Models have thus far done a good job in terms of the wacky trends today..although it's probably a few degrees colder than forecasted as of this moment.

15.1. Dp -4. WS 20mph, WC -1

Temperatures not really dropping here in Columbia, still hovering around 30.  I don't think we will drop below 22-25 tonight.  It will probably be quite a bit colder in the Florida panhandle than here in South Carolina I would think.

I'm at 26 and don't see any 30's in the surrounding area

I'm at 26 and don't see any 30's in the surrounding area

Columbia is reporting 29F, which is pretty remarkable considering that Athens, GA is already at 16F and Greenville is at 19F, especially considering where Greenville was earlier today.  Even with the cold air hanging behind the mountains, at this point behind the frontal passage we are typically closing in on places like Greenville and Athens, not today.

Columbia is reporting 29F, which is pretty remarkable considering that Athens, GA is already at 16F and Greenville is at 19F, especially considering where Greenville was earlier today.  Even with the cold air hanging behind the mountains, at this point behind the frontal passage we are typically closing in on places like Greenville and Athens, not today.

It only updates once an hour so it will be playing catch up until the temps level out. I've already dropped down another degree to 25. You need to be looking at PWS that update more frequently. 

Columbia is a weird place for winter.  

GSP adjusting temps some and may expand Wind Chill Warning:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 800 PM EST...TEMPERATURES HAVE BEEN FALLING FASTER THAN
FORECAST MOST AREAS THIS EVENING AS ALL MODEL AND MOS SOURCES ARE
STRUGGLING WITH THE ARCTIC AIRMASS. HAVE LOWERED MIN TEMPS ABOUT TWO
DEGREES MOST AREAS...AND FOUND JUST ENOUGH OVERLAP OF WINDY
CONDITIONS AND COOLER TEMPS IN THE NE GA MTNS TO UPGRADE TO WIND
CHILL WARNING FOR RABUN COUNTY. THE REST OF THE HAZARD PRODUCTS
REMAIN THE SAME...ALTHOUGH WIND TRENDS WILL HAVE TO BE WATCHED
CLOSELY THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS OVER THE NC FOOTHILLS FOR A
POSSIBLE UPGRADE THERE.

It only updates once an hour so it will be playing catch up until the temps level out. I've already dropped down another degree to 25. You need to be looking at PWS that update more frequently. 

I'll do that.  Normally I would have my own station, but until I buy a house here I won't have one.

Columbia is a weird place for winter.  

It really is.  The cold air has to completely traverse the mountains to our north before it really starts spilling in, basically because it has to.  If you watch a time laps of colder air moving in from the northwest, it is remarkable to watch this be the very last spot to cool.  

Archived