• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

East Chapel Hill High weatherbug (less than a mile from my house) reports 12.7 with a wind chill of -5.

How accurate are weatherbug's weather stations? I typed in my zipcode and it brought up Atlanta Fire Station #16 which is literally right around the corner. The temperature there is 9.8°F Wind Chill is -2°F

I've been using wunderground, but this weatherbug location is much closer if it's accurate.

The temp at the RDU airport, since 11pm, has been running 3 degrees cooler than the NWS hourly forecast. It's now reporting 16 degrees (vs the forecast of 19 degrees).

Since NWS has a forecast low of 10, I'm wondering if we could get down to 7 based on where we're at now. 

I was just out walking and I've got a surprising number of clouds going by.  I was trying to count the 7 sisters and could barely see them, much less pick one out looking straight at them, and I can usually see 5 easy on a cold night, and sometimes all seven if it's real clear.  Lots up high level haze down here.  Stuck at 15.4 on two remotes, and one is out. Not sure I'll make the 11 or 12 I predicted for myself.  I'll be interested in what Cman is getting.  T

I can now say I've experienced single digit temperatures at home for the first time in my 17 year old life. It may have happened before, but I wasn't into weather and didn't know what was going on.

9.7 and creeping downward. I think we bottom out at around 6. 

My house creaked loudly during a wind gust and woke me up.

Wunderground stations near Bahama and just east of Graham are now in the single digits. I think our single digit low will verify in the Triangle!  I also cannot believe how cold it is in MI right now, nor can I believe how cold it is down into coastal plain of SC and GA!

My closest Wunderground has me at 12.8 right now!

For the NC High Country, if HRRR is correct, 5:00am will be the lowest 850s and they begin rising at the 5000' level after that.

So far -19 at Clingmans Peak has been lowest I have found. Mitchell and Beech at -18.8 and Grandfather at -16.7. I would think that LeConte may have touched -20.

****I also cannot believe how cold it is in MI right now, nor can I believe how cold it is down into coastal plain of SC and GA!****

post-2767-0-87278400-1389088338_thumb.jp

Temp(s) were in the MID-60's around 10 AM today, (Max temp was 69F today). 11AM We began to DROP... (between 10:30~11:30 we had some "cloudiness & SPRINKLES",,, Then clearing from West to East

CURRENT OBS

coastal Plain/Beaches here in SE N.C. is currently...

Inland, (at the Airport is 21.6 °F/ Feels Like 8 °F Dew point is -2; WIND CHILL IS 8 )

At the beach itself, is:

Temperature 20.7 °F /Feels Like 12 °F Dew Point is 3; WIND CHILL IS 12 )
Wind(s) are North/NW at 17 mph, at the airport, ( to 7 mph at the beach)

According to the Almanac/History,,, this Date     

Max Temperature   79 °F (1890)

Min Temperature     16 °F (1884)

Archived