• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

Regarding the 103 windchill Brad Panovich just gave a explanation to why it's so low. 

• Brad Panovich WCNC It was an instantaneous and not 1 min average which is standard.
  • 1118553_503838427_1621954014_q.jpg

Patricia Fox Vollmer I still don't see it, even with instantaneous wind -- what instantaneous wind value are you using? I used the calculators provided in that website above.
  • 373197_162655917140206_1442227833_q.jpg

Brad Panovich WCNC Hard to say unless we look at the raw numbers wind chill is calculated on 2 min averages so instantaneously it's certainly possible.
  • 1118553_503838427_1621954014_q.jpg

Patricia Fox Vollmer I'm sorry to sound like such a Debbie Downer. I wish we had the raw numbers available. I'm still having a hard time believing this with only -14.6F.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just broke single digits. Temp 9.9 in Pinnacle. ( Stokes County)

Same here.  Down to 9.9 F with a DP of -6 F.

By the way, your location doesn't help me out too much without the state.  I believe NC has a Stokes County, but so might GA/VA/SC/TN.  I don't know where Pinnacle is.  Could you update that in your avatar, please?  Thanks.

One other obs........the sky is immaculately CLEAR. It's really beautiful and I am tempted to bundle up, get out the telescope, make some hot tea and watch for meteors tonight. 

Most definitely.  I just had to walk outside to experience this low cold, especially since I can't see it (hat tip to jburns).  I looked up at the stars and there is not a cloud in the sky, there is a fingernail moon, and there is howling wind everywhere.  I lasted 30 seconds.  Back to the warmth!!

5.8 lol this is insane :ph34r::guitar:

i cant believe i am saying this, but i would almost rather have this than have had a half or inch of snow. i love snow, but i havent seen this kind of cold in over 10 years before i moved back to ga.  this is some extreme cold to say the least. it just doesnt occur that often in the se (other than maybe the nc mtns).  its just about to the "boogers freeze in your nose" cold that starts about 0

I'm kind of with you on this.  It's all about breaking records (hopefully, not pipes) and witnessing something rare, weather-wise.

-7 here. Looks like double digit lows coming tonight. Been a very long time since that has happened.

wow, now that is impressive!! if we get a couple more hours with dropping temps you probably will hit double digits below zero!  if that were to happen here, its conceivable there could be areas in ne ga that hit 0 or go just below!

Same here.  Down to 9.9 F with a DP of -6 F.

By the way, your location doesn't help me out too much without the state.  I believe NC has a Stokes County, but so might GA/VA/SC/TN.  I don't know where Pinnacle is.  Could you update that in your avatar, please?  Thanks.

There is a pinnacle  real close to Frosty's house. 10 miles se of me. Stokes county boarders Surry county where I'm from NC. BTW- I'm coming your way tomorrow working, Hickory, Icard, Granite Falls etc....

Currently 9.8 DP -4

Nights like tonight make me regret having a heat pump.  Thank goodness for a wood burning fireplace and a big stack of seasoned white oak.  Currently 10 degrees but the temperature drop is easing.

Heat pumps are almost useless once you hit 0 degrees. Firewood is the way to go. I have gas heat but its so expensive... I've got a new stack of hardwood at hand as well. :)

Patiently waiting to drop into the teens...currently 21 degrees, dp 0 and a windchill of 7 :)

It wasn't until the afternoon that I got below 30.  It was 20 when I got off the mower about 4...I was cutting up leaves so I won't have to rake them, lol, and enjoying me some cold air.  The cold was unimpressive until late afternoon, but then it made my feet hurt and confused my sensors.  I've got a 14.7, a 17.4, and a sensor that's had it's mind blown :)  And who knows what my avatar will report from over at the Experiment Station who's web based reporting has been on the fritz.  Hope you get some cold  in between those dread portals!  Tony

Heat pumps are almost useless once you hit 0 degrees. Firewood is the way to go. I have gas heat but its so expensive... I've got a new stack of hardwood at hand as well. :)

I got a heat pump and will prob find out just how useless it will be at near zero...so far so good at 10 degrees.

I freeze when it's 20 with my heat pump. I have two infrared heaters that I love! might change my mind when I get my power bill? lol  and gas logs in case power goes out!

It wasn't until the afternoon that I got below 30.  It was 20 when I got off the mower about 4...I was cutting up leaves so I won't have to rake them, lol, and enjoying me some cold air.  The cold was unimpressive until late afternoon, but then it made my feet hurt and confused my sensors.  I've got a 14.7, a 17.4, and a sensor that's had it's mind blown :)  And who knows what my avatar will report from over at the Experiment Station who's web based reporting has been on the fritz.  Hope you get some cold  in between those dread portals!  Tony

Me too  :lol:  The teens are close and I've dropped to 20  :wub:

just flurries and snow showers that got blown around, no accumulation. Even the ridge line to my west that has a 5400' peak only had a dusting. Disappointing event here.

Wow that would disappointing, I figured you would have gotten at least a couple inches! still beat down slope city with zero flurries!

Temperatures continue to slow, steady fall here, but what's been really something is just how strong winds comes in waves.  there has been many times today winds will howl for 20-30 minutes, followed by a "relative calmer" period of winds between 10-15 mph, sometimes less, only to ramp back up within 20-30 minutes.   already saw some 40-45 mph wind gust reports in the PNS from KCHS.   Temperatures just getting below 30 now, got a ways to go, but I won't be surprised to still reach about 15 tonight, given the rather steady 2-3 degree per hour falls since sunset. 

Archived