SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14* Just over 3" OTG, but hard to measure. Seems like the radar is blossoming to my SW, looks like the real fun will begin soon. To be honest I was suprised how much a difference 30 miles made, in Waterbury it is snizzle, by the time you get past Torrington it is legit snow, albeit light, but heavier the more north you go.

Still don't even have 3" here while areas that are going to get slammed later already have 11". I could see ending up with 8" or 9" while certain areas of E MA get 20-24".

Yeah the only saving grace I think for me out here is that snowgrowth is absolutely amazing, so we should be able to maximize whatever we can get from the main show. I bet I end with 7-8''.

I'm not weather expert by any means, but I'm telling you guys that the obs from Essex County are true.  I just left my office in North Andover and came home to Andover, and there seems to be a bit less at home than at the office, but not a lot.  It's only about 2-3 miles from each other.  Either way, we have somewhere between 7-9 inches would be my best guess. 

I don't know what's going on with the radar, but right now, the radar I look at online (been using it for years, it's through another member's site here, it's the interactive radar at atkinsonweather.com) and it's showing nothing at the moment directly over my house.  When I look out the window, I see moderate to heavy snow.  Basically, whatever you see on radar is much less than what's actually happening in Essex Co.

That said, I think we're going to see much higher than anticipated totals because of the ratios.  I have no way of gauging what they are, but I can say with certainty that this is the lightest, fluffiest snow I've ever seen in my 37 years of life.  According to the temp in my car, it's 7 degrees outside.  You can literally not clean the snow off your car, and after you drive about 10mph, you will have no snow on your car.  That should give an indication of what this is like.  Someone said earlier that you could see pavement through a couple of inches of snow, and I didn't know what that meant until I went outside and sure enough, I could see the pavement in the parking lot through an inch or two of snow.  Thought I'd seen it all at this point, having lived here my whole life, but this is pretty cool to see.  It's like little snowflake shaped feathers falling all around.

It's been that way much of the day in northern Middlesex and Worcester counties too --  

We've had steady S- to sometimes S, and at times during, the radar showed almost nothing.   I mentioned this earlier that there is a snow-growth region happening lower than the radar beam.   It's the only explanation I can come up with.

Just over 4" (est) here in Ayer of utter feather fluff.

The fact BOX just doesn't involve Suffolk in the Blizz Warning is infuriating

I'm with you and others. Objectively makes no sense.

In terms of snowfall intensity, winds, duration, can't see northern areas all the way up to Maine verifying while Boston does not.

It almost feels like an calculated skip over the Boston metro to downplay / avoid hype.

Heavy banding already developing over Eastern MD, DE and NJ into the DC and Baltimore regions.  I think BOX is a little low for my area on the Cape, we haven't changed over to rain at all today and their forecast high this morning for us today was 35-36F and we only reached 33F, its getting colder.  They only gave us a half inch of snow forecasted, we ended up with 2.5" so far.

Pretty sharp CF, crossed it at around 3PM on my way home from work, it was right at Cobb's Corner (where Stoughton, Sharon, Canton come together).  Thought it would be here by now, but still seeing temps at 12 deg in Canton, 3 miles away, but still 24.8 deg here near the center of Stoughton.  Probably sitting right in the jackpot for snows here but always get lower amounts IMBY due to too many trees so my measurements wouldn't be accurate.

Pretty sharp CF, crossed it at around 3PM on my way home from work, it was right at Cobb's Corner (where Stoughton, Sharon, Canton come together).  Thought it would be here by now, but still seeing temps at 12 deg in Canton, 3 miles away, but still 24.8 deg here near the center of Stoughton.  Probably sitting right in the jackpot for snows here but always get lower amounts IMBY due to too many trees so my measurements wouldn't be accurate.

It's stalled 1 miles west of me for a while now

Same as you.

Just measured 2.1" here.  I'm happy with whatever I get.  I never thought of weather like a competition.

Temps falling off of bit here with the sunset.  Down to 12 off the high of 16 earlier today.  Union is cranking down to 7...not sure how much snow there though.  It looks like another couple hours before heavier stuff makes it here...been light all day.

Hey, little help here?

Someone take a look at the national mosaic radar and tell me if the hole that currently runs from CT to Delmarva is the donut hole we saw on the models. Or is there another donut hole about to form? I don't remember the timing of it on the models. It seems early to see it now.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

10F, 2 or so inches down. Woonsocket/Cumberland line, and very close to the MA border.

Archived