Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Staying positive, but that radar looks pretty paltry.

I think this is a good example of how radar can be misleading... take a look at southwest Ohio... the radar around there hasn't looked overly impressive all morning based on dbz levels... yet there are reports coming in already with totals in the 3-6" range as was forecasted...

post-285-0-87606200-1388685574_thumb.jpg

and another good example here is how bad some of the short term/rapid update type models like HRRR can sometimes be... forecasted accumulations on 14z run for that same area on HRRR by 1pm of 1-2"

post-285-0-75667700-1388685781_thumb.jpg

15z run has storm total accumulation there of 2-3"... oops lol

Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow morning. Have to be there by 1am....I'm anticipating white-knuckle driving down Columbia Ave in my V6 which handles snow like a wet bar of soap. CAN'T WAIT

I know the local stations here will send one of their big 4wd to pick up talent when it is bad. OR even better, put them up at a hotel nearby.

I have a big  Jeep with a Hemi, it sucks on gas but is awesome in snow.

I think this is a good example of how radar can be misleading... take a look at southwest Ohio... the radar around there hasn't looked overly impressive all morning based on dbz levels... yet there are reports coming in already with totals in the 3-6" range as was forecasted...

Hours ago my friends on their way to Iowa,  posted a picture on Facebook they were driving on an interstate near Indy and there was several inches of snow on the highway then. they said there were multiple wrecks and the roads were bad

i'm hearing reports of flurries in Camp Hill

That would not surprise me.  Within the past hour, there is "mist/hazr" being reported at KMDT / KTHV with a visibility of 5/4 miles respectively.  Sometimes an ASOS will mistake flurries or even fine snow flakes as mist or fog or haze.  

I know the local stations here will send one of their big 4wd to pick up talent when it is bad. OR even better, put them up at a hotel nearby.

I have a big  Jeep with a Hemi, it sucks on gas but is awesome in snow.

Ours will too...but realistically only for big storms when they call in extra personnel. Small stuff -- not much help. I just have to leave at literally the worst time of night for this particular storm. Oh well, that's the job.

Roads starting to get covered in Hagerstown in spots, as the snow has picked up intensity in the last 15 minutes. Really worried about the timing of this event now--schools did not let out early because of the progged later start, so we could be looking at the perfect storm of school + rush hour traffic out on the roads very shortly.

Ours will too...but realistically only for big storms when they call in extra personnel. Small stuff -- not much help. I just have to leave at literally the worst time of night for this particular storm. Oh well, that's the job.

If I lived closer I would take you into work.

Started snowing here about 12:30 - just light flurries.....still snowing grass and paved driveway covered.

Archived