Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we are all focus on this storm today but the GFS has a one two punch for Sunday.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/ImageFourPanel.php?model=gfs&area=namer&cycle=12&fhr=090&param=200_wnd_ht|500_vort_ht|1000_500_thick|850_temp_ht&size=medium

Looks good.

i saw that, temps are questionable though, looks warm

No matter what the total, the morning/afternoon will be annoying lol.

Regarding what paweather posted - I'm assuming that's a classic case of most of the progged precip having fallen before the upper air becomes conducive for snow.

I'm no expert but it certainly looks like low passes right to our south mason dixon line and then up the coast. To my untrained eye that is a rain to snow scenario. But lots to talk about with today's storm. We can see what the Euro has for Sunday later.

Sorry to jump ahead of this storm also but taken verbatim the 12Z GFS shows a freezing rain to snow scenario for later Sunday into Monday followed by the coldest air to invade PA since 1994.  It shows even Harrisburg area dropping to around -6F overnight Monday into Tuesday.  Temp is still below zero at 10AM Tuesday, then only rises to a high of around 10F Tuesday afternoon before dropping back to around -4F Tuesday night and still keeping highs on Wednesday in the teens.

I wonder what the high temp was at MDT back in Jan 1994 on the day when the morning temp dropped to 22F below???

Sorry to jump ahead of this storm also but taken verbatim the 12Z GFS shows a freezing rain to snow scenario for later Sunday into Monday followed by the coldest air to invade PA since 1994.  It shows even Harrisburg area dropping to around -6F overnight Monday into Tuesday.  Temp is still below zero at 10AM Tuesday, then only rises to a high of around 10F Tuesday afternoon before dropping back to around -4F Tuesday night and still keeping highs on Wednesday in the teens.

I wonder what the high temp was at MDT back in Jan 1994 on the day when the morning temp dropped to 22F below???

Next two to three weeks loos like the best shot for winter around these parts given the currently pattern.

Jan 21, 1994 had a low of -22 and a high of 19... January 19th had a low of -14 and a high of -1

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDT/1994/1/21/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

surface pressure at the time of the -22F ob was 1039.4 mb!

my point and click:

• This Afternoon Snow. High near 30. East wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Tonight Snow, mainly before 3am. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -3. Blustery, with a northeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming northwest 17 to 22 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Manheim point and click showing 3 - 7 at the moment. Some folks at work are pulling the old "no big deal" trick. Heh! I suspect it will be shocking how crappy the conditions will be tomorrow AM.

Yeah, the powder will probably cause some problems. Even though I could get to work in my wife's car tomorrow, I might just stay home.

Is point and click the same as going to noaa.gov and entering your zip? Cause that's what I do. I get this for 17101 (Harrisburg)

• Today Snow, mainly after 2pm. High near 31. East wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Tonight Snow, mainly before 4am. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a northeast wind 6 to 11 mph becoming northwest 16 to 21 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Friday A chance of snow showers, mainly before 7am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -4. Blustery, with a northwest wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Manheim point and click showing 3 - 7 at the moment. Some folks at work are pulling the old "no big deal" trick. Heh! I suspect it will be shocking how crappy the conditions will be tomorrow AM.

Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow morning. Have to be there by 1am....I'm anticipating white-knuckle driving down Columbia Ave in my V6 which handles snow like a wet bar of soap. CAN'T WAIT

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1252 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...FRIGID TEMPERATURES WILL ACCOMPANY AN ARCTIC OUTBREAK EARLY

NEXT WEEK...

AN OUTBREAK OF VERY COLD AIR IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION EARLY

NEXT WEEK. MANY LOCATIONS COULD SEE THEIR COLDEST TEMPERATURES IN

NEARLY TWO DECADES. A SUMMARY OF SIGNIFICANT COLD WEATHER FOR

SELECTED SITES ACROSS CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA IS INCLUDED BELOW:

CITY JANUARY 7/8LAST DATELAST DATE

RECORD (YR)BELOW ZEROBELOW -10F

HARRISBURG 5 (1942)/ 0 (1970)2/6/19961/21/1994