Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter

Reb

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A high of -10 in Chicago Monday?  Amazing.

Coldest I've ever experienced was a high of 0 on top of Snowshoe mountain one day last January.  The wife and I could only get maybe 1-2 ski/board runs in at a time before our feet froze and we had to warm up inside.  I can't imagine a city going about it's regular business in that kind of cold.  I'd welcome it though!

A high of -10 in Chicago Monday?  Amazing.

Coldest I've ever experienced was a high of 0 on top of Snowshoe mountain one day last January.  The wife and I could only get maybe 1-2 ski/board runs in at a time before our feet froze and we had to warm up inside.  I can't imagine a city going about it's regular business in that kind of cold.  I'd welcome it though!

I'd like to see it just once get cold enough to where I can throw a pot of boiling water in the air and have it freeze instantly. Just once. Does anyone know what the warmest temperature below zero it can be to do that? I read on FB someone doing it in Minnesota this week when the temp was -20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a video where -13 worked. 

I'd like to see it just once get cold enough to where I can throw a pot of boiling water in the air and have it freeze instantly. Just once. Does anyone know what the warmest temperature below zero it can be to do that? I read on FB someone doing it in Minnesota this week when the temp was -20.

Went up to Newfound Gap today and it was freezing with the wind howling. Wind chill had to be near zero up there but it was beautiful and you could see for miles. Today was the first time I had ever been up there or anywhere in the Smokies to be honest. I'd like to come back in the summer and visit Clingman's Done and Mt Leconte. Maybe do some hiking which got me wondering does anybody know how long it would take to hike the Appalachian Trail? That would be on my bucket list for sometime way down the road.

Some pics:

2ebe2aqa.jpgpy3ujapu.jpgy9a7y8u9.jpgje9yvu9e.jpg

Hope you enjoy these as much as I did going up there!

Great pics snow! I haven't been up there in a few years. Need to get back!

I had a co-worker who hiked the entire AT but he was a "section hiker" instead of a "thru hiker". But like a thru hiker he did his sections in one continuous line, starting in Maine. He had formerly been an Engineering professor at ETSU, so during those years he would hike for a month at a time. Once he came to work for us, he would take two weeks off each summer to continue his hike of the AT. If memory serves me correctly it took him about seven years at that pace (3 years of month long hikes and four years of two week hikes, if that makes sense).

He had some wild stories to tell. Met some great folks and some strange ones. Was only scared once by another hiker, he said...at a shelter one night when the guy showed up without much in the way of supplies. He said there were two women hikers at the shelter as well (not with him) and they got the same vibe off the guy. My former co-worker always carried a Smith & Wesson Airweight .38 revolver with him on these hikes and said he kept it close that night but when the morning came the guy was gone. And of course he had stories about June 21st...which is "Hike the AT Naked" Day! LOL

Went up to Newfound Gap today and it was freezing with the wind howling. Wind chill had to be near zero up there but it was beautiful and you could see for miles. Today was the first time I had ever been up there or anywhere in the Smokies to be honest. I'd like to come back in the summer and visit Clingman's Done and Mt Leconte. Maybe do some hiking which got me wondering does anybody know how long it would take to hike the Appalachian Trail? That would be on my bucket list for sometime way down the road.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I did going up there!

Be sure to post these in the Infamous Great Outdoors Thread as well.  Thanks for showing-off our great region.

Archived