joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2014 Obs

tnweathernut

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally made it to 32 at the house. This marks the first time since around midnight Sunday night that we got back above freezing - if only briefly today.

We were 10 days below freezing a couple of years ago in Knoxville - but we didn't have the extreme cold like we did the past two days.

I played in the dirt a little bit this evening, messing with the garden, compost, and whatnot.  The ground below about 1 inch is still frozen solid as a rock here.  I couldn't even stab a pitchfork all the way through the compost pile.  Also, it's amazing to me just how hardy my winter garden was this year.  I was thinking stuff was going to bite the dust as early as the November cold snaps but everything hung on, even through dipping down into the teens on a few occasions.  It took an arctic outbreak and sub-zero temps in January to finally kill everything off (except for the garlic and onions).  Helluva run!

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
1002 AM CST WED JAN 15 2014

.UPDATE...HAVE MADE SOME ADJUSTMENT TO GRID VARIABLES, INCLUDING
RAISING AFTERNOON TEMPS A BIT OVER THE SOUTH. EXPECT STRATOCU TO
CONTINUE DEVELOPING OVER MUCH OF THE MID STATE THIS AFTERNOON AS
SLUG OF INCREASED 1000-850 MOISTURE SWINGS SOUTHWARD OUT OF
KENTUCKY. BASED ON AREA RADAR RETURNS MIGHT SEE SOME PATCHY
FLURRIES/SNOW SHOWERS ENTER OUR MOST NORTHWESTERN COUNTIES OVER
THE NEXT TWO TO THREE HOURS.

WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS ALONG THE CUMBERLAND
PLATEAU THIS AFTERNOON, WILL PROBABLY JUST LET WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY RIDE INTO AT LEAST THE FIRST HALF OF THE AFTERNOON AND
SEE HOW THINGS DEVELOP.

we have a heavy dusting here in Erwin TN with a pretty light snow still falling.  Looks like it's about to move through and taper off in the coming 1-2 hours.

I'm jogging the linear trail this morning. There's much less snow on the south side of Erwin than downtown and northward. That's been the pattern all season, which is inverse of normal.

There are some bright bands moving into the west side of the Plateau. They'll look like they disappear as they get into the lesser radar coverage there, I'm just wondering what the P-Type is with them. I see that it rained in Nashville. My temp keeps going up and down. Got all the way up to 34 about 11, then dropped down to 31 a bit ago, just looked and it's back to 32. The initial bit of precip to make it to the ground was a snow shower.

Archived