SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All those coldinistas with their crazy cold Feb pattern may have to start back peddling soon. Unless models and indices are completely wrong, nothing cold looks to be on the horizon!

Honestly, I would be fine with it.  We have had plenty of cold for me this year.  And the 3 inches of snow has scratched the itch.  Not saying I wouldn't care for another good event but I'm pretty satisfied with this winter as is.  

Honestly, I would be fine with it.  We have had plenty of cold for me this year.  And the 3 inches of snow has scratched the itch.  Not saying I wouldn't care for another good event but I'm pretty satisfied with this winter as is.  

Me too  :D    I've had record cold in between a slight thaw that kept me from getting too bored, a flizzard in Nov, and sleet, ice and snow just the other day. :wub:   I can't ask for much more in a winter pattern that is soooo close, but yet sooooo far  :lol: 

I can't beleive Wake County schools are closed again today over 3 inches of snow. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but either this is overkill or the DOT sucks at clearing roads here.

I said the same thing to my wife this morning. Our son just tracked back in (he's on year-round). He went back to school for 3 days and has been out for 4. Tuesday being closed was the head-scratcher. It's like since 2005, there's no evaluation that goes on anymore. Since one time in history, the perfect confluence of events trapped everyone on the road, the course now is to cancel everything.

I remember growing up, you would go to bed and school would be on. You would get up and go to school. Then you would get out early. Or you would get up and school would be delayed. Now, if it is supposed to snow at any point in the day, it's cancelled.

And I was never out for a week for 3-4 inches of snow. That's crazy.

I said the same thing to my wife this morning. Our son just tracked back in (he's on year-round). He went back to school for 3 days and has been out for 4. Tuesday being closed was the head-scratcher. It's like since 2005, there's no evaluation that goes on anymore. Since one time in history, the perfect confluence of events trapped everyone on the road, the course now is to cancel everything.

I remember growing up, you would go to bed and school would be on. You would get up and go to school. Then you would get out early. Or you would get up and school would be delayed. Now, if it is supposed to snow at any point in the day, it's cancelled.

And I was never out for a week for 3-4 inches of snow. That's crazy.

Well, I can kind of understand being closed Tuesday more than I can being closed again today. They don't want a repeat of 05 in Raleigh and what happened this time in Atlanta. Better safe than sorry. But there should have been enough time to get the roads cleared by now. Maybe they need to divide the county into districts since it is so big and base the schools open or closed based on what it is like in those districts instead of closing the whole county if snow is still bad in one part.

LOL, Wake County is closed again? That's terrible. It's not like it never snows here. Missing four days of school for a few inches of snow is just awful. I can understand Tuesday, I guess, but I have a very hard time understanding being closed today...

Randolph County is to believe it or not. Of course our county has more dirt roads then any in the state supposedly.

LOL, Wake County is closed again? That's terrible. It's not like it never snows here. Missing four days of school for a few inches of snow is just awful. I can understand Tuesday, I guess, but I have a very hard time understanding being closed today...

I know in Winston a lot of ice in back roads from snow melting. Buses would have a hard time. Rather be safe than sorry

I can't beleive Wake County schools are closed again today over 3 inches of snow. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but either this is overkill or the DOT sucks at clearing roads here.

The NC DOT truly sucks at snow removal once out of the mountains.  You will see them on the news being congratulated for clearing the roads after a 2" snow at 32º.  No one seems to notice that the roads that weren't treated at all cleared at about the same time.  They plow and pile snow in the center lane of 5 lane roads so it can spend the next week melting in the day, running across two lanes of traffic and freezing each night.  

Another issue that some might not have realized: rural counties send some of their snow plows to the cities first. For example, some of the Franklin County snow plows have been responsible for clearing sections of I-540 in Raleigh in Wake County first before they can return to Franklin County.

Another issue that some might not have realized: rural counties send some of their snow plows to the cities first. For example, some of the Franklin County snow plows have been responsible for clearing sections of I-540 in Raleigh in Wake County first before they can return to Franklin County.

Good point. I know thats what they do here at the DOT yard in person county. Treat 501 158 49  57then head south to help the RDU clean while leaving the rural areas ice packed for days on end.

It's been several days, though.  My neighborhood roads were never treated (and never have been except in the aftermath of January 2000 ... a week later), but they're clear except for some ice/snow in the shady areas.  Yes, there are icy spots in the shade, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.  You can't shut down forever.

Good point. I know thats what they do here at the DOT yard in person county. Treat 501 158 49  57then head south to help the RDU clean while leaving the rural areas ice packed for days on end.

I guess they figure since everyone has 34 loaves of bread and 23 gallons of milk, what's the hurry?

It's been several days, though. My neighborhood roads were never treated (and never have been except in the aftermath of January 2000 ... a week later), but they're clear except for some ice/snow in the shady areas. Yes, there are icy spots in the shade, but sometimes you just have to deal with it. You can't shut down forever.

If your kids were ever on a bus and wrecks I bet you would think different. My kids dont ride a bus but have seen and heard of stories about them wrecking. I think roads are fine but areas I have seen would be difficult for a bus and a driver that's probably not use to it.

Yep, looks like we are done with winter south of I-20. It was a good one, though! I can get some sleep now. Yes!

I wouldn't say that at all.  It might turn out to be the case, but the pattern has the propensity for big swings this year.  You can't really say that every year.  Cold has been favored more than warmth, even when the models are showing warm.  We will likely relax for a bit, but we've still got a bit more than a month to work something in.  I wouldn't give up just yet.  On the other hand, I would be very careful to ignore the word "Historic" anytime you hear it for the rest of the winter.  That word sets everything up for failure right out of the gate.

If your kids were ever on a bus and wrecks I bet you would think different. My kids dont ride a bus but have seen and heard of stories about them wrecking. I think roads are fine but areas I have seen would be difficult for a bus and a driver that's probably not use to it.

Not just buses -- you've also got high school kids that drive to school (some also taking little brothers and sisters to school, too) and think they know it all, some probably texting or talking on their phones, not paying attention to shady areas. There's also a difference in rural vs urban. In rural areas, roads are mostly all 2 lanes with little traffic. You can drive slow and be careful. But when you get to urban areas, it's like everybody is in a rush. The traffic cameras they showed on TV this week showed people passing each other, going way more than what I would consider a safe speed. Would you catch me driving on snow in rural areas? Probably -- when everybody around me is driving safely, I feel safe. In urban areas? Nope -- when people are going to rush and pass and speed around me, I don't feel safe. I can't control my own safety (and wallet, with car repairs) in that situation if somebody else spins out of control and hits me.

It's been several days, though.  My neighborhood roads were never treated (and never have been except in the aftermath of January 2000 ... a week later), but they're clear except for some ice/snow in the shady areas.  Yes, there are icy spots in the shade, but sometimes you just have to deal with it.  You can't shut down forever.

This is an interesting news story related to all this: http://www.wral.com/tryon-road-a-study-in-snow-plowing/13347442/

I agree SJ92. Apparently lots of folks across the SE have forgotten or never learned how a shovel works. It wouldn't take an hour if a group of people who live in these still ice/snow covered neighborhoods got together and cleared their own streets.

I agree SJ92. Apparently lots of folks across the SE have forgotten or never learned how a shovel works. It wouldn't take an hour if a group of people who live in these still ice/snow covered neighborhoods got together and cleared their own streets.

This is 2014 not the 1950s. Sadly alot of people don't think the way you do for instance. But I agree with what you said. 

I have gotten out tried to clean the big hill in my neighbor a couple times after snow and freezing rain. It gets severely packed into a slab of ice. Sometimes it takes backing up and hauling a**  a couple times to even attempt to get over the top. But I have spent hours with a square shovel chopping and chipping at ice pack just enough room for the width of the tires. Ive done it by myself with no help with the people that live back here face the same situation of not being able to get out.

After 3 good storms like that I say the hell with it. Why brake my back to benefit me and others with no help. But if you don't live in a neighborhood fulls of dicks than that a good idea.

This is 2014 not the 1950s. Sadly alot of people don't think the way you do for instance. But I agree with what you said.

I have gotten out tried to clean the big hill in my neighbor a couple times after snow and freezing rain. It gets severely packed into a slab of ice. Sometimes it takes backing up and hauling a** a couple times to even attempt to get over the top. But I have spent hours with a square shovel chopping and chipping at ice pack just enough room for the width of the tires. Ive done it by myself with no help with the people that live back here face the same situation of not being able to get out.

After 3 good storms like that I say the hell with it. Why brake my back to benefit me and others with no help. But if you don't live in a neighborhood fulls of dicks than that a good idea.

Sounds fun! Y'all got any houses for sale in your neighborhood? :)

Talk to the banks couple foreclosed homes...

Its just some ppl like that. Cough cough some bad apples with the last name "Dunavants"

That's hilarious! There's some old saying Burns would probably know: good fences make good neighbors! Our neighborhood is the same way. Makes you want to get about 10 acres and isolate yourself from neighborhood drama!

Archived