SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter

Isopycnic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was asked about this (snow supposedly burning because it has lots of pollutants/chemicals). What the heck is this all about? Is this real???

http://wtfrly.com/2014/01/30/fake-snow-videos-doesnt-melt-normal-burns-smells-of-plastic/#.UurJ82eA3X4

Yeah must be residue from the chemtrails. All the rage with conspiracy theorist around the world.

I was asked about this (snow supposedly burning because it has lots of pollutants/chemicals). What the heck is this all about? Is this real???

http://wtfrly.com/2014/01/30/fake-snow-videos-doesnt-melt-normal-burns-smells-of-plastic/#.UurJ82eA3X4

Just your run of the mill internet idiots. 

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/16438279-fake-snow-in-the-south-its-called-sublimation

Thanks. I told the person about sublimation vs. melting. But I was then asked why some people were able to burn it and it turn brown. I said I'd have to research it. Wtf?

My guess would be along with the author. Lots of chemicals in a lighter so if you're getting residue from the flame to "soak" into the snow that would explain why it could be brown. Could also have something to do with the fact that the vapor is taking in some of the butane and floating back into the snow. 

No they haven't. Direct TV probably told Atlanta folks that the storm would go south of them which is probably what most people heard. :P

Someone posted all excitingly about the euro. Ask where she heard it..

maybe not but weatherchannel is calling for snow the same days as the euro map was 

:axe: 

maybe not but weatherchannel is calling for snow the same days as the euro map was 

If Euro clown maps are going to start being spread like wildfire over the internet, I see a forecasting misinformation nightmare in

the making. This is not good, folks, especially for the south. :axe:  :axe:

Brick is suggesting that it will trend colder to support snow.  Because Brick doesn't know what a 500 mb pattern is, his implication is nullified.

However, certainly the surface temps could trend colder.  One would hope the depth of the air would increase to the point that sleet would become the predominant P-type.  A west coast trough, flat or otherwise, and a SE ridge, even if the ridge axis is offshore, does not support a widespread SE snowstorm.  Assuming the system is real, and if confluence holds in the NE, it will be a wintry mix/ice storm for most in the SE where temps are at or below freezing.

Lol he is just going by what they are saying.

First of all, I wasn't even talking about you. Second, I don't always say that.

I just started watching TWC since I got home about 30 minutes ago, and they only showed a model talking about the winter storm this weekend, and the big storm next Tuesday for the Midwest. Whoever posted that probably doesn't even know how to read the model TWC was showing. I'll tell you if they show the Euro.

Looks a bit wet to me next week!!!   

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS
IN THE MID 50S.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. RAIN LIKELY...MAINLY AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.MONDAY...RAIN AND SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN LIKELY
IN THE AFTERNOON. COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 60 PERCENT.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN.
LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S.
.TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS AROUND 40. LOWS
IN THE MID 30S. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.
.WEDNESDAY...RAIN LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. CHANCE OF RAIN
70 PERCENT.
.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE
EVENING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY AFTER MIDNIGHT. COOLER WITH LOWS IN
THE MID 20S. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.
.THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S.

Quit hatin cause you didn't get but 4 sleet pellets!

Actually we had sleet almost all afternoon yesterday. It was fun while it lasted, but the temperatures were a killer.

Crazy thing is that some cars that came through had snow or sleet all over there cars and you could see piles of snow in the street. Most likely came from areas up N.

If Euro clown maps are going to start being spread like wildfire over the internet, I see a forecasting misinformation nightmare in

the making. This is not good, folks, especially for the south. :axe:  :axe:

You can't hide information from people.  I see no problem with letting information out.  It is now up to the individual consumer what they choose to do with it.  The Euro snow maps are not some super-classified, government secret that only those with high-level clearance are allowed to see.  If people want to go crazy with this information, then let them.  It's their choice.  Others might choose to educate themselves and see what the map really means and how it's created.  That would be a great thing for our weather hobby/devotion/addiction that we all share on this board.  So, I must respectfully disagree with you on this, Larry.

You can't hide information from people.  I see no problem with letting information out.  It is now up to the individual consumer what they choose to do with it.  The Euro snow maps are not some super-classified, government secret that only those with high-level clearance are allowed to see.  If people want to go crazy with this information, then let them.  It's their choice.  Others might choose to educate themselves and see what the map really means and how it's created.  That would be a great thing for our weather hobby/devotion/addiction that we all share on this board.  So, I must respectfully disagree with you on this, Larry.

Calc,

But it is misinformation. The misinformation shouldn't even be distributed to anyone, much less the general public. Because they're very inaccurate, what good does it do for the ignorant general public to see them? It is bad enough when they see accurate info. But inaccurate? Example: Euro clown maps yesterday showed 4" of snow in Savannah that day, which was essentially impossible with 850's well above 0C. How is it good for the largely ignorant general public to see maps showing 4": of snow yesterday when it had no chance to happen? Savannah got no snow whatsoever, which I pretty much expected and as the GFS clown showed..

Edit: Now I just read in the other thread that they're circulating maps for next weekend showing ATL getting a huge snow when the model isn't really doing that. OMG, this is really bad! I wish there was a way to outlaw clowns!

You can't hide information from people. I see no problem with letting information out. It is now up to the individual consumer what they choose to do with it. The Euro snow maps are not some super-classified, government secret that only those with high-level clearance are allowed to see. If people want to go crazy with this information, then let them. It's their choice. Others might choose to educate themselves and see what the map really means and how it's created. That would be a great thing for our weather hobby/devotion/addiction that we all share on this board. So, I must respectfully disagree with you on this, Larry.

good post I agree.

Calc,

But it is misinformation. The misinformation shouldn't even be distributed to anyone, much less the general public. Because they're very inaccurate, what good does it do for the ignorant general public to see them? It is bad enough when they see accurate info. But inaccurate? Example: Euro clown maps yesterday showed 4" of snow in Savannah that day, which was essentially impossible with 850's well above 0C. How is it good for the largely ignorant general public to see maps showing 4": of snow yesterday when it had no chance to happen? Savannah got no snow whatsoever, which I pretty much expected.

Agreed -- and most of the images I have seen plastered around social media are from subscription sites.  I wonder what the sites think about all these images being spread around the internet for free? I mean, I'm sure they can pick up a few more subscribers out of curiosity, but it also seems unfair to those who pay to subscribe yet see some of the images floating around for free. As a side note, I feel like a "true" meteorologist would make his or her own maps based on their own interpretation of what the models output (exactly like WxJordan just did in the discussion thread -- good job, btw!). Posting raw model output for the general public is modelology and requires no skill or education. I do think it is misinformation. Like I said before, the general public doesn't care whether it's a model or a forecast -- they see a map with colors and numbers that shows snow in their backyard. Models also change every few hours, yet the posts keep being shared and spread. Last week I saw someone share a 3-day old euro map, when the current models and forecast showed nothing near that same solution. It causes confusion and panic.

No, you shouldn't hide information. But I think you should responsibly filter what you put out there based on your audience, and based on what you are trying to convey.

Archived